Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8336854 12/09/13
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Anybody use or have one. Thinking about building some.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I too have thought about building a couple. I have been asked too, but they don't look like much fun to make. I suggested they buy a blade from one of the suppliers.

I was given a "Platinum" stone by a native in Goodnews Village AK in 2005. It is what they use to sharpen their blades. It is unused (ie: not worn in) and I always thought I should make at least one ulu to wear in the stone. The stone reminds me of soap stone. I am guessing they are not used to very hard steel and like butchers, just give it a lick now and then.

Do you have a pattern figured out yet??
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
up until now I've been buying my stock pre-cut in bars of approx. width to reduce the amount of cutting I have to do on my steel. I suspect that a lot of the makers do the same thing. You don't see as many of those types of designs like the mini-hatchets that you and Brett have done and Ulu's and such because it requires pretty wide stock to start with. Just a guess but I suspect there'd be a lot of interest if more were produced but I think more custom makers are doing the same thing I have been up to this point and just buying pre-cut bar stock that prevents the option for the most part. I'm going to probably start buying sheets in the future so I can do more of these kinds of designs myself. (More I learn about this stuff the more I realize how little I know).

I for one would love to see you make a few.

Dale

Last edited by mtnman1; 12/09/13.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Have several pattern drawn out. Never used one so at this point my vote don't count. Fish-n season is upon. I think they would be the ticket for chunk bait for either trapper line or fish. Grinding will be done flat or convex. Any idea, advice or experience would be welcome.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The ulu was certainly the blade of choice for the northern indigenous folks. It must be the optimal style for their use. It has not been well accepted as you go south. Not sure why, but I have not used one myself so????

Rick, you using a carbon steel or??
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I used ( or tried to use one ) for a couple of years. It never seemed to do anything very well. I could never seem to get the angle of attack on what I was trying to cut, or the leverage right.

In the kitchen a Deba or similar design was a much better choice for me.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Dive in head first Rick, then when you figure it out you can splainit to the rest of us.

Seen one used by Eskimos (on tv), seems to be best suited for long sweeping strokes. They were sure peelin that whale pretty quick.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
saw a film once with an iniuit woman cutting up a seal. she was increadibly efficient but i think you really need to start as a child not using our standard patterns; to become good with it.--cranky72

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hey when the Indians first figured out how to sharpen flint and obsidian They thought they had it made. Then it was how to make steel and sharpen it, how could it get any better. But look at us now. Everyone became proficient with what they had.

That Inuit woman might pick up one of our modern knives and throw it in the fire.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
In progress

IC B3

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I think they could be real handy in the kitchen, but I
don't think I would like one in the field. I have handled a few
but never used one for anything.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Rick, I volunteer to do some testing for you.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Can't wait to see this...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't imagine cutting fish without a decent uluaq. Traditionally the thinner and harder the material, the better. In ancient times, people traveled distances or traded for good stone which was often slate. More recently, handsaws are preferred. Typically they are ground on one side only. A good, high quality handsaw can produce some very nice-edged blades. The pattern varies by maker and user preference. An ideal blade for smaller fish like herring might be nearly useless for Chinook salmon or even Cohos. The converse is also true.

Commercial ulus/uluaqs do not generally find their way into the favorites collections, though just about anything along the design is useful. The ability to have so much control of the blade and the ability to apply pressure directly over the edge can be very beneficial.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Interesting discussion of ulu's. I had dinner with a group of co-workers last week and one of them was an Aleut women. Somehow we got on the subject of fishing and cleaning fish and she said when she was first married her husband asked her for a knife to dlean a fish. She game him an ulu and he refused to use it saying an ulu was a woman's knife.

One of these days I'll have to try an ulu, though traditional fillet knives seem to serve me fairly well so long as I keep them sharp.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Any advantage of only one side being ground?
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I can't imagine cutting fish without a decent uluaq. Traditionally the thinner and harder the material, the better. In ancient times, people traveled distances or traded for good stone which was often slate. More recently, handsaws are preferred. Typically they are ground on one side only. A good, high quality handsaw can produce some very nice-edged blades. The pattern varies by maker and user preference. An ideal blade for smaller fish like herring might be nearly useless for Chinook salmon or even Cohos. The converse is also true.

Commercial ulus/uluaqs do not generally find their way into the favorites collections, though just about anything along the design is useful. The ability to have so much control of the blade and the ability to apply pressure directly over the edge can be very beneficial.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
When you're making mine grind both sides. smile

Check out my new website

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
Any advantage of only one side being ground?

Yes. Typically the blade gets laid on it's side and used to slice underneath things. (It works good for fleshing like this.) Imagine -assuming you're right handed- having a salmon lying in front of you, head pointing away- tail toward you, dorsal pointed toward your right. You lay the blade down nearly horizontal and take a curving slice just above the dorsal line on the fish, slicing inward, horizontally, toward the backbone. That is a fairly common motion when using such a blade. The bevel is down and rides along the dorsal bones without cutting or catching on them, and without dulling the edge.

[Linked Image]

Here's a pattern that has become a favorite around our home. It's a smaller blade and is about perfect for herring and pink salmon. (The picture is lousy, but you get the idea.)

[Linked Image]

My wife puts away black meat (dried seal) using the advantage of the pressure over the blade to cut through the hard/tough meat.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
All jokin' aside, klik, looks like you've got some experience. Having seen em used they are impressive in the hands of someone knowledgeable especially as you described.

Check out my new website

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
That knife is almost identical to my pattern. Were do you get the knives?

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 222Sako, 257 roberts, 53 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,778
Posts18,515,708
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.