-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
guy at lunch today double dog swore that Nicky is on his way from Tuscaloosa to Austin....on the supposed word of a big UT inside athletic person. this version had a back story that had Saban losing an eight figure sum on bad investments with LSU and Bama alums, and Texas Exes agreeing to make him whole on that loss and pay him ten mill a year.

I seriously doubt any of it is true, but it is funny how every day there's a new version of the Perils of Mack and Nicky.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I doubt Saban is dying from bad investments. It's hard to piss away $5+ million a year every year. There are online sources that put his Net worth at $15 million. I think that is conservative. He has more cash than he can spend and this is not a guy who is going to get caught up in a Jim Donnan get rich quick scheme gone bad.

Texas could play him $100 million over 10 years and make money on the deal. Alabama would be hard pressed to come to that kind of figure.

The only reason I can see Saban leaving Bama is to leave the madness behind to Kirby Smart and find a little sanity and peace of mind in Austin.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Why would anyone pay a college ball coach 5 million. Its a damn shame that college ball equals money when college should equal education and not sports money.

But I expect nothing less from the USA these days.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by hatari
... find a little sanity and peace of mind in Austin.

WHAT!? shocked

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
To get this guy Alabama is encouraging Saban to go to Texas.

Chris McComas's resume

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by hatari
... find a little sanity and peace of mind in Austin.

WHAT!? shocked

By comparison, yes!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Give it time for Mack to be forgotten then Saban will be on the radar.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Update from the American-Statesman web site this afternoon. The regents met this afternoon and voted to retain Bill Powers as president at UT. Mack stood up for Powers and Powers acknowledged in an interview today that he owed Mack. However, it's the money guys who have the final say:

A decision on Mack Brown could come by the end of the day.

A meeting has been scheduled for late Thursday between Brown, UT president Bill Powers and new athletic director Steve Patterson, according to a high-ranking UT source.

It�s unclear whether they will ultimately decide Brown will remain as head football coach at UT. But the American-Statesman has reported that Brown has already had discussions with school officials this week about resigning.

At a press conference to promote the Alamo Bowl today, Brown said nothing about his job status had changed as of Thursday morning. Brown complimented Powers and noted that the school had just lost DeLoss Dodds, who retired in November. Patterson�s first day was Nov. 26.

�Anytime your athletic director changes, that changes the game,� Brown said. �So with all due respect to him, I want to sit down with he and Bill in the near future and talk about where we're going and where our program's going.�

If Brown does step down, all eyes will immediately turn toward Alabama coach Nick Saban.

The high-ranking UT source said Wednesday that the school had not officially contacted Saban. But it�s been well documented how school officials reached out to Saban�s agent Jimmy Sexton in a clandestine telephone call earlier this year.

At the Alamo Bowl press conference, longtime UT benefactor Red McCombs scoffed at the idea that Texas wouldn't be able to get Saban.

�Oh, I don�t think there�s any question about getting him,� McCombs said. �When Mack came there, our budgets were an issue. They�re not an issue now.

�Hell, all the money that�s not in the Vatican is up at UT. If that�s a problem, then I�m a part of the problem.�
My Yahoo

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mudhen

At the Alamo Bowl press conference, longtime UT benefactor Red McCombs scoffed at the idea that Texas wouldn't be able to get Saban.

�Oh, I don�t think there�s any question about getting him,� McCombs said. �When Mack came there, our budgets were an issue. They�re not an issue now.

�Hell, all the money that�s not in the Vatican is up at UT. If that�s a problem, then I�m a part of the problem.�
My Yahoo

It is, and he is.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
grin

Finally MH brings us news.

I thought all in the know expected MB to become Athletic Director?

Does it look good for him he didn't?

Does it look like he's staying if he's the one making overtures about sitting down with Patterson?

Does Red McCombs know what he's talking about or is he blowing smoke?

Last edited by eyeball; 12/12/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Red does, believe me. The latest from the American-Statesman tonight:

Texas president Bill Powers and head football coach Mack Brown were tenatively scheduled to meet Thursday to discuss the coach's job status. But the UT System Board of Regents spent much longer in a closed-door session that anyone anticipated, and the Powers-Brown meeting was delayed until Friday.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Thanks MH. May God bless the Longhorns -again.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
Why would anyone pay a college ball coach 5 million. Its a damn shame that college ball equals money when college should equal education and not sports money.

But I expect nothing less from the USA these days.

A top-tier college football program is worth exponentially more than $5mm/yr. I'd pay the money without hesitation for a coach I believed in.

Education costs money. I get your point, but the dollars have to come from somewhere to provide the best resources to students.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

128 members (AceBall, 7887mm08, 3dtestify, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 11 invisible), 987 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,092
Posts18,522,131
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.