Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
HS - now my feelings are sooooooo hurt! I like Nordy's, but we had my son's rehearsel dinner there back in October and I got a bad case of montezuma's revenge afterwards. Haven't been back since though it is good food.

The guy that owns it is a great guy and a NoCO native. I like the guy a lot and am happy to see him doing well. If your feelings are really that hurt then you're invited and I'll tell the owner to make you something special and fresh grin

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

While I live in IA my oldest and single daughter lived there ten years until recently so we've been in and around CS and the FR including Ft C three-four times a year visiting and hunting for more than a decade now.

While there are much worse than CS, it is sprawling and the traffic can be maddening. It is too big and busy for me to be happy there and while I'm sure Ft C has grown since making some of those lists, it would be my personal choice of the two. For me, though, the whole FR, north to south, from well north of Denver to Pueblo, has become over-populated (no surprise there).

I know nothing of comparative expenses or taxes, just general observations regarding traffic, and congestion. And, yes, even CS has Greenies and Subaru folk, compelled to take the curves and swipes of 24 west from CS at insane speeds, on patch ice, that invariably leaves one upside down road- or creek-side. Those folk are a reality of certain population thresholds I guess.

You have to get closer to the mountains. I live in Buena Vista, and the population hasn't changed in the last 10 years. Nice little town with no crime to speak of. Close to good hunting and fishing.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I lived in Ft. Collins for 5 years while going to CSU there in the mid to late 80's (now I really feel old shocked ). I really liked the place then because it wasn't yet a sprawling huge metropolis. You could still drive across town in 10 minutes. Not that I've spent a lot of time there lately, but I think you'd be doing good to drive across town in 30 minutes now. The place is huge compared to what it once was. I suppose the traffic might be a bit less in Ft. Collins, but Ft. Fun or the Springs would be a wash for me. Would just depend on whether I wanted to live in the north or the south.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

While I live in IA my oldest and single daughter lived there ten years until recently so we've been in and around CS and the FR including Ft C three-four times a year visiting and hunting for more than a decade now.

While there are much worse than CS, it is sprawling and the traffic can be maddening. It is too big and busy for me to be happy there and while I'm sure Ft C has grown since making some of those lists, it would be my personal choice of the two. For me, though, the whole FR, north to south, from well north of Denver to Pueblo, has become over-populated (no surprise there).

I know nothing of comparative expenses or taxes, just general observations regarding traffic, and congestion. And, yes, even CS has Greenies and Subaru fuolk, compelled to take the curves and swipes of 24 west from CS at insane speeds, on patch ice, that invariably leaves one upside down road- or creek-side. Those folk are a reality of certain population thresholds I guess.

You have to get closer to the mountains. I live in Buena Vista, and the population hasn't changed in the last 10 years. Nice little town with no crime to speak of. Close to good hunting and fishing.

I know of BV (nice mountain town) and have hunted with a guy from there who was a young, new outfitter and who gave us a very good time up in the Flattops; he was a good and earnest guy. I think a year or so later he had a wrangler who had a misunderstanding with a horse, suffered a broken leg, and sued for medical expenses. Our young outfitters liability ins dropped kicked him and he went into trucking. I want to say Scott Pelino was his name. Ring a bell?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Not at all, but I don't really know any outfitters.

I agree it's a nice little mountain town. I got lucky when I picked this town to live in.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I visited Crystola a couple years ago. I'd move there in a second!

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the Nordy's owners are good guys, and thanks for the invite wink. Why did the Nordy's in Old Town FTC close? We always enjoyed eating out on the deck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CreekWarrior
Why did the Nordy's in Old Town FTC close? We always enjoyed eating out on the deck.

I don't know why they shut it down. They would have done good to open one where that new Famous Dave's went as they are always busy but I bet that would have cost an arm and a leg

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What it comes down to is- as long as you aren't in Boulder, you're gonna' like it.

Just stay away from Boulder.

Tanner

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I dunno, if you want to observe wildlife, Boulder's not a bad side trip......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
What it comes down to is- as long as you aren't in Boulder, you're gonna' like it.

Just stay away from Boulder.

Tanner

Unless you like BO, chics with hairy legs and pits, 4/20 celebrations, hippies, peace signs, Subarus and anything Tibet. You like that stuff you'll LOVE Boulder

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some pretty awesome bucks in the Flatirons.

Or were you talking about college girls?

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Worked out of an office in Boulder for a few years, but lived up in Nederland, an oasis of old hippies and a pretty laid back kind of small town. Of course, I traveled a lot so I wasn't in Boulder every day. I had some good friends, a good tavern where I ate lunch when I was in town and there was a really good gun shop, so I didn't mind the other stuff so much.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A good gun shop, eh? Have to look for that next time through there.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it's the gun shop I'm thinking of, it is right off of 13th and Arapahoe, or in that general area. I believe one block west from Liquor Mart and on the opposite side of the street. Been a few years since I've been in there, but it wasn't too bad. In the old days (late 80's to early 90's) it was a hole in the wall, but the new owners expanded it and it is pretty nice now. Nice prices too. The owner used to love Sakos and always had a big inventory of those. I used to live in Boulder back then, but I couldn't take the politics or the traffic. Used to travel up to Ned all the time, too. Still work with a guy that lives there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I lived there, it was a hole in the wall, but they always had a lot of guns in stock and they didn't mind lookers.

Ben

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Are we talking Boulder or Nederland?

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Keep in mind that if you're not a fan of traffic, the front range is going to be a hellhole of epic proportions. Personally, I'd rather eat a 3 inch load of buckshot than live in that area. Either that, or I would die in a fiery, road-rage induced crash.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It's all relative. If you're from Wyoming or Montana, yes. If you've spent time in a big city (one with an NFL, MLB, and NBA team) then even Denver traffic pales in comparison. Especially if you don't have to drive on the freeways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Are we talking Boulder or Nederland?
I lived in Nederland, but the friends, tavern and gun shop were in Boulder and made having to go to town relatively painless, for the most part. (I have to note that I left Colorado for New Mexico 21 years ago, so this qualifies as ancient history to most of you.)

Ben

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (7mm_Loco, AB2506, 673, 264mag, 44automag, 450yukon, 15 invisible), 1,012 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,977
Posts18,519,888
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.