Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dano81 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
As far as I knew these rifles are CRF. I just recently bought one in 6.5x55 and it feeds ok but if I operate the bolt slowly the cartridge that is being fed will pop out of the magazine and not get grabbed by the extractor. This happens when the cartridge gets to about the halfway point in the magazine where the magazine box widens. I checked a couple of other model '96's and I can work the bolt very slowly and not have a problem.

Is there a "timing" problem with my CZ?
Will the extractor break if the extractor"claw" is forced over the rim of a cartridge that doesn't get held by the extractor when clambering?

No I'm not worried about being charged by a deer , just wondering if there is something wrong with my rifle.

Thanks for any help or info
Dan

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Contact CZ USA.I had issues with mine,they emailed me a shipping lable,sent it FED EX on their dime,the rifle came back feeding perfectly.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
As Bob Hagel would say"You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong."Good words of wisdom...............
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dano,

Controlled-feed rifles often need tweaking to feed correctly, far more often than most CRF fans like to admit. Unless you know how to tweak 'em, I'd send it to CZ.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine in 9.3X62 controls the round throughout the entire cycle. I would contact CZ as well.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
An over polished extractor could do that. Mine on a 7x64 barely held the case at all. A new Mauser extractor from Brownell or whoever works fine and has far more material at the bolt face end than did the shiny CZ original.

IC B2

dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No gun writer, but I can tell you this is very common. The idea that somehow just having a full length extractor automatically makes your rifle CRF is bupkis. As Mule Deer says, many if not most contemporary "CRF" production rifles are in practice not CRF at all. That is not to say they can't readily be made to operate in a controlled feed manner, but don't expect it out of the box. In reality CRF probably tends to be something of a spectrum - from some extractors engaging the rim immediately (I think this normally requires a bit of fine tuning) to some extractors not engaging until the cartridge is nearly chambered (I think most modern CRF actions fall in this group), to true push feed with a full length extractor.

I dare say most folks who swear by the necessity of CRF in a hunting rifle are using rifles that are in practice actually working as a push feed much of the time. It is just that they have never actually checked how it works - which probably suggests it really doesn't matter nearly as much as some folks like to think.

Last edited by dhg; 12/14/13.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 72 invisible), 2,292 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,673
Posts18,513,195
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.