Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
KW got a link to an article? feel free to send it via PM if needed.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by varmintsinc
KW got a link to an article? feel free to send it via PM if needed.

That particular publication is not online. Hard copy only. PM me an email addy and I'll send you a scanned copy.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I'll have to try a Fenix and see how it stacks up, it's not like I don't already have a dozen lights stashed here and there, one more won't hurt. But for a weapon mounted light, I've got enough years with Surefire to trust them. I use the G2's with the LED head and run time works for a weapon light.

But I have headlights for working and running, a super bright Streamlight that dims and strobes if I want to disco dance, a couple of regular streamlights, a 4 sevens light that is pretty impressive and quite a few surefires, I like lights I guess.

Which Fenix do y'all reccomend?

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My favorites are TK22 for a "working light" and the PD32 is a pint-sized powerhouse. It's what I carry when carrying concealed. Cop review panel voted it best "backup" light.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can you send that article to bluedreauxatgmaildotcom?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I like the Surefire G2X pro, has 2 brightness settings but that might not be necessary, especially for a weapons light. That said, I haven't tried many of the others mentioned.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
[quote=varmintsinc]Why no love for the Fenix? I am always interested in why someone trust of distrust gear.

As a side note I think this is a great video by Travis Haley on tactical lights and their use.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V78tH6aVpuM&feature=youtu.be

Todd,

I have had great luck with the Fenix lights. I mounted a PD 32 in a modified Thorntail mount on an AR for at least 3000 rnd, including a advanced carbine course with Mike Panonne. Never missed a lick.

We are now making an integrated picatinny rail mount for the new PD 35s. At 850 Lumens with a great beam this is a really good light.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

John, where can we find the picatinny rail mount you are making?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The throw on the new Fenix PD35 is pathetically crappy for a light that is suppose to be 850 Lumens. It's probably fine for indoor/close range use, but if you need some throw, the PD35 is not it. The TK22 at 680 Lumens outperforms it at distance.

Tony

Run it up, until you blow it up, then back it down a bit.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
by throw you mean beam dispersion? dispersion is dependent on the reflector shape and possible lens cover. Glad to know about the pd35, i want the best one to use outdoors.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by TWR
I'd never base my selection on what a cop is carrying, they tend to be on the cheap side.

No offense but it's what I've seen.

Thats funny, as I am the one burning the candle for Surefire in this thread.

I kind of agree with you, however. That being said, there are some errors with this theory. The first is that we are often issued cheap crap. Whether or not we are required to carry the issued gear, can afford to buy something better, or even care enough are all valid issues. Myself, when I was on patrol, the only thing I carried that was issued to me was my radio. Everything else was purchased on my dime, and was better, and typically more expensive.

When I worked at a smaller department just starting out, I made $8.90 an hour, and was issued nothing. Kind of hard not to have cheap stuff in that situation. I managed to cull the cheap crap that didnt work, horse trade for better items, and save for the rest. For a time, however, cheap crap is what I had to make due with.

I know a lot of cops who simply couldnt care less, as long as it kind of gets the job done. Others are easily sucked in by every damn thing in the BLACKHAWK! catalog, and fall for the current tactical goodness, no matter how ridiculous.

As far as lights, I dont want multiple modes or moonbeam and strobe. I dont care if it causes retina damage. I want it to come on when I want it to, off when I need it to, and not do either when I dont. I want to be able to drop it on the concrete from a rooftop. I need it to shine underwater at times, and I need it do all of these things every time I need it to. If, for whatever reason it fails to do these things, I want to be able to pick up the phone, speak to a human, and have that human send me parts or a new light without having to jump through hoops, or learning to speak Mandarin. I want the company selling the light to understand the market it is intended for, and actively poll that market for ideas.

SO far, Surefire is the only company that has even come close meeting those requirements for me.

Last edited by liliysdad; 12/05/13.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As far as lights, I dont want multiple modes or moonbeam and strobe. I dont care if it causes retina damage. I want it to come on when I want it to, off when I need it to, and not do either when I dont. I want to be able to drop it on the concrete from a rooftop. I need it to shine underwater at times, and I need it do all of these things every time I need it to. If, for whatever reason it fails to do these things, I want to be able to pick up the phone, speak to a human, and have that human send me parts or a new light without having to jump through hoops, or learning to speak Mandarin. I want the company selling the light to understand the market it is intended for, and actively poll that market for ideas.

Well said, and worth saying.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
L
L

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by lickx

As much as I like Surefire, thats a pretty good setup for the occasional user at that price.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

519 members (22250rem, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 50 invisible), 2,847 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,796
Posts18,536,506
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.