Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 145 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 144 145
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by geedubya

Rick what do you call this knife? I really like it.

Reno

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Reno its a Bose drop

Gee glad you like it.

Mike if your buying X-mas I consume high octane Turkey but Jim will work.

Might have a couple after being told I make to much half the day.

Last edited by rickmenefee; 12/15/13.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by rickmenefee

Might have a couple after being told I make to much half the day.

Go fer' it.

Rick,

a few things I've learned over the last half century,

selling below cost but making up on the volume is a fools game,

its hard to lose by making a profit.

There is price, quality, availability and service. Hard to get the best of all four. I never want to compete on price. Always a greater fool out there.

One is seldom sorry that they went first class.

I figure I'd much rather a man I know/like to have my money than someone I don't know or don't like.

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
VinceM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I've said this before in this thread , I think. But you all know Rick as a hunter and a knife maker. You all are probably happy he sells knives here on the Fire.

What you do not realize though , you're dealing with one of the best knifemakers in the World. I've handled many knives , all sizes and styles. Rick does not realize this himself. But it is the truth. We are fortunate in our lives to be able to experience this.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by VinceM

What you do not realize though , you're dealing with one of the best knifemakers in the World.

Care to be more specific about that claim, are you saying top ten best...or top 20 000 best?

Yes Rick I am aware that you are not making the claim.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Here is one of Ricks earlier knives that I picked up a couple weeks ago. It is a great example of his work. It is when he made his own leather as well. I think he did a darn good job.

Reno

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The time is drawing nearer for the American People to stand up for what they believe in. To stop having their rights trampled by the a$$holes in Washington D.C.
VinceM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
He is of the best. Period. I've sold knives that fetched bi bucks, one,;well over 7K to collectors , I do not care to mention names. But they did not compare.
Keep in mind, the slab side tapered tang hunters we are seeing and loving here, are the lower end of what Rick can build.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
He is of the best. Period. I've sold knives that fetched bi bucks, one,;well over 7K to collectors , I do not care to mention names. But they did not compare.
Keep in mind, the slab side tapered tang hunters we are seeing and loving here, are the lower end of what Rick can build.

And they are awesome! When I need to sharpen them, I'm a little afraid of screwing up perfection. They are exceedingly well balanced and razor sharp.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
FWIW,
I try to inject a little humor in most of my posts, and tend to downplay my abilities and experience.

I'm not an outfitter or guide, but sometimes am on two trespass leases per year here in Texas. That means between my oldest son and I we can take 10 white-tail deer (we usually tag out), 8 turkey, unlimited fox, coons, coyotes, and hogs, and exotics, which include axis, sika, fallow, blackbuck antelope etc.

In a good year I may kill fifty hogs or more. I typically skin or take meat from all game animals I kill.

I've used Knives of Alaska, Bear, Boker, Browning, Buck, Case, Schrade, Cold Steel, DH Russell, Forschner Gerber, Junglee, Kershaw, Loveless copies, Puma, Randall, Spyderco, Victorinox, Winston to name a few.

During our conversations I told Rick that I did not want an Object d'art. I wanted a "working man's" knife that I could skin with and sharpen without too much difficulty. I don't hack or pry with my skinners. I've other tools for that. I wanted something that would feel "alive" in the hand, but not be slippery when wet with blood and fat. Our deer typically have thin hides and this knife makes caping without piercing the hide simple should I choose to do so. The grind at the point is thin enough that it almost floats when skinning. To me, these things are the measure of a knife.

Time tells all tales, but I'm very impressed with the "Bose drop" that Rick fashioned for me.

[Linked Image]

Best,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 12/15/13.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Rick does not realize this himself. But it is the truth. We are fortunate in our lives to be able to experience this.

Amen to that. I've owned lots and lots of knives that many here would hold in high regard. Fit, finish and feel in the hand are better on Rick's knives in my opinion.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I am not sure at what point in his knife making career this was crafted, but it is my go to skinning knife.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Only thing I use more than my Menefee is a Rapala.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Got that right. Never met a brown trout that could resist a 3 1/4" Husky Jerk.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I feel very fortunate to know Rick, and see his work first hand at all stages. To watch Rick grind a knife is comparable to...... say a snooty heifer watching an opera. It is so beautiful it almost brings a tear to my eye. Not really but it is awesome to watch.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That pattern was made from a Randall. Made them 1dz at a time for a guy in Missouri. That has some nice stag. I think it's probably 10 years old.
Originally Posted by retrieverman
I am not sure at what point in his knife making career this was crafted, but it is my go to skinning knife.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think that knife is about the same age. I use to call that pattern the elk skinner.
Originally Posted by RenoH414
Here is one of Ricks earlier knives that I picked up a couple weeks ago. It is a great example of his work. It is when he made his own leather as well. I think he did a darn good job.

Reno

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

VinceM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A new one arrived in the mail today. Fougheddaboudit.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What is it, Pics?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A new one arrived in the mail today. Fougheddaboudit.

.....and.....??????????????

VinceM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Rick I think the kydex work you are doing is coming along very nicely. I like your systems!

Here is an eye candy picture>>>>>>>>
[Linked Image]

Top knife is a Bose pattern Drop point. This knife plus a few others will be made available soon,for Christmas .

The middle two are hunter's Tanto's. Awesome knives,one is headed to a friend of ours & the cocobolo is headed to N.Y.

The bottom is the classic Loveless drop and is listed on my site,in the "What's New" section,it will/is,available.

Awesome stuff Rick. Stay warm everyone & Happy Holidays

The cocobolo!!

Page 52 of 145 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 144 145

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

556 members (2003and2013, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 62 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 1,214 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,460
Posts18,489,808
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.