Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
only problem I have ever had with the core locks is that tend to come apart and find bullet fragments all over back straps other than that they shoot well in my kimber 308.. go figger?

Blessed To be an American
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Absolutely the worst bullet I have ever run across the Juenke machine. And my little bit of comparison accuracy shooting with them leaves me way underwhelmed.

I suspect the average critter shot with them is pretty close and about anything would have worked fine. I have put them into a large number of critters and they are a huge part of why I use Barnes almost exclusively on critters now.

The bloodshot meat I have directly caused with them would be significant in anybody's book... No such thing as eating right up to the hole with them.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Not boring in the least. One good buck chase across the countryside that had a Core-loss come apart on the shoulder makes for a right sporty morning.

Your reply could fit every single bullet available, every single week there's a post about a Core-loss, Tsx that didn't expand, Ballistics tips that shattered on bone, yada yada yada...

You chased one deer, meanwhile a couple thousand other critters hit the ground instantly when shot by the same projectile,

Clearly, the bullet is at fault..

It ain't the scope. I've seen it 3 times, that's enough for me. Course some folks need a few bites at a [bleep] samich to declare 'Gee, that tastes like [bleep]'

Ain't had a Barnes fail to impress.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Barnes failures is next weeks topic, Bank on it...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Barnes failures is next weeks topic, Bank on it...

Didn't they have a problem of not expanding for awhile?

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed a moose and a black bear using factory 175 grain CL. Both animals were so grateful that I was not using a premium bullet, they just laid down their life right on the spot.

Lost count of the number of whitetails that have succumbed to my .243 with the wal-mart ammo purchased on sale at the end of the season.

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
yup.....nothing like success to dispel any myths or opinions...
they just work....and that is all there is!

"It's sad that governments are chiefed by the double tongues." Ten Bears
NRA Benefactor LIfe Member
USCG Veteran
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've always hunted factory ammo up until this past fall. My best load out of my .300 Savage was always the 180 gr. Remington Core Lokt RN's. I tried every different box of .300 ammo I could get my hands on over the last 20 years, and out of my gun, the Core Lokt were always the most accurate. I never had any trouble with bullets coming apart, and that's on shots ranging from 10 feet to close to 200 yards. No deer ever ran far. Those big 180's just do their job. Some of the places I hunt, you don't want an animal running very far after the hit, as it might end up in front of another gun. 'Never had an issue with that. Sadly, Remington dropped that loading from their line last year, which is why I now shoot handloads. MILES58 set me up with Barnes TTSX 130 gr. bullets, and they group very nicely. No luck this fall, so I can't speak of the performance on game, but he's got me convinced I won't be disappointed.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
My 25 year old box of 3006 have bagged at least 2 bull moose and 2 bull elk and a wolf or two. Still 8 rounds left.
Best 20 bucks i ever spent.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
[Linked Image]

.264 140 gr.CL and 140 gr. NPT

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used the Remington CL and have killed a few deer with them , but over the years if i purchased a factory load for deer , it was the Winchester Super-X with Power-Points , just like the Winchester Factory Ammo better than Remington . I guess it was a hold over from when i was a Kid , any shot shell that didn't say Super-X on it, was crap in my opinion.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mule Deer stated some time ago that since around 1990, Remington's Pointed CLs have thinner jackets and aren't as tough as they used to be. The round nose CLs still have the thicker jacket, which if I remember right, Reminton's 150gr 270 bullet is exactly that. Two fellas I know here that have killed a lot of deer in WV used a 308 Win with 180gr Roundnose CLs and loved the way killed deer. One guy has killed some very nice bucks in many Counties here stating he always tried to take out both shoulders and his deer never went far if anywhere at all. He always got an exit. I've recovered two bullets in my life and they were both 100gr PSPCLs handloaded out of a 243 Win at close range. They both were pretty much pancaked on the offside under the hide by they killed quick and were pushed fast out the barrel. There wasn't any drama in recovering either deer.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My old Ruger 30-06 loves them and I can still find them for $17.99 a box at Walmart. Kills everything I point it at just as dead as the animals my friends shoot with their new very wide, ultra short, super mag in a cryogenically formed case that just came out this year and shoots flatter than the old model they bought last year and ammo is still only $80 a box! So ya, they (and I) are boring.

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation"
"Dangerous Game Hunting........because golf, football and baseball only require one ball"
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Boring as hell.

Several weeks ago i killed 5 bull caribou within 30 seconds or less, using 150 gr. factory Corelokts thru my heavy barreled Mauser '98 at 300 to maybe 450 yards. Range is estimated, as I had my rangefinder in the snow machine's cubby. Apparently batteries do not like -5 degree temps...but I have a fair grasp on bullet drop, and for once my estimated eyeball range agreed. When the first one dropped, the rest were easy.

The only "judgemental" call was range... not bullet performance. Bang-flops all. I'm set for a years meat...plus some give-aways. I'm processing the last one tomorrow- hope he's thawed out enough. He currently resides 20 feet to my left in the "dining" room on some heavy plastic. Good thing my wife is out of town, no? smile

The Lab thinks it's the best house guest ever...

My Rem 725 SA rebarrelled with a 700 TI takeoff to .260 likewise loves 140 gr. factory Corelokts - the caribou not so much.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
I started using Core Lokts when I first began reloading. I used 130 grains in my .270. They were effective on elk as long as I did my part. I've since switched to 140 grain Nosler Partitions. Neither bullet has failed yet.

T
T
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
I've had pretty good luck with them over the last 40+ years. Thought enough of there abilities in factory ammo to buy the bullets for reloading them. Yeah there are higher BC bullets to pick from but if you shoot most of your deer and antelope under 300 yds like I do, it's a moot point. A hunting pard once hit a young mule buck badly, all but severing the right frt leg with his 300 Win Mag ,5 hrs later of tracking him I was able to end it with a single 130 gr Corelokt out of my 270 at about 300 yds from back to frt full penetration to laying under the hide in frt of the brisket.The bullet looked like it was out of a magazine ad picture and weighed 102 grs, I was impressed . Yet no brand or size works perfectly all the time. I had some older Remington Corelokts in 25 cal at 100 grs, might be fine at 250- Savage or 257 Robts velocities but they came apart fast when shot at 3300 + fps in my 25-06. The old 185 8mm RP Corelokt had a less than stellar rep when used in the 8mm Rem Mag but I bought 200 of them bulk pack to use in my M700 Classic in 8X57. I'll bet they will be fine at 2500-2600fps in that rifle.Lot of people have used RP Corelokts for along time with satisfactory results. Maybe you need to find that out for yourself. Magnum Man

The most spectacular failures that I have seen were Corelokts out of three guns on elk. .264 win mag, 7mm mag, .257 weatherby. I will keep using them in slower chamberings, but never again in magnums.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think the 220s are ice cream in a 30 06 at 2400 fps-ish!

The way life should be.
J
JDK Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Not a magnum owner nor a reloader but I use 150s in my 308 and 200s in my 35 Remington. They seem to kill deer sized game just fine.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Not boring in my Savage 30-06... and I consider "boring" a very desirable quality in my ammo (goes where it's supposed to every time all the time and does what it's supposed to).

For whatever reason it's very inaccurate in my gun and I get 2-3 misfires per box. I've never had a misfire with the also somewhat budged Federal Fusion I've been using.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by JDK
They seem to kill deer sized game just fine.

And they always have.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 007FJ, 65 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,289
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.