Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
[Linked Image]
http://centerfiresystems.com/RI1974K-N.aspx
M85 Mini-Mauser .223 Rem. Bolt Action with Left-Hand Monte Carlo Stock �
The Classic Designed Short Action Rifle

Manufactured in Serbia at the Zastava factory, the Sporting Rifle M85 is based on the traditional concept locking system that Zastava uses for bolt-action rifles.

ADAPTED FOR LEFT-HANDED SHOOTERS

Specifications:
  • .223 Rem. short bolt action.
  • Barrel is made of chrome-vanadium steel, by cold forging.
  • Monte Carlo style left-hand walnut stock.
  • Recoil pad is made of rubber.
  • Grip cap is made of walnut.
  • Lever-type safety.
  • Iron sights.
  • Metal swivels.
  • 20.07" barrel length.
  • 39.76" overall length.
  • Weighs 6.17 lbs.
  • 5rd integral magazine.

Thinking of getting one and using it as my backpacking brush gun and maybe close range (<100 yard/91 meter) deer rifle.

Thoughts on the rifle, hunting with a 223 or whatever?

Also if you have one of these, please tell me a little - quality, accuracy, ammo/bullets your gun likes. Also, what twist does it have? Google results speculate a 1:9.5" twist.

EDIT:

Wondering about a lightweight synthetic stock for this gun too. Like a McMillan Edge stock. Any recommendations?

Last edited by RiesigJay; 12/17/13.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bunch of info on this on the 24 hr LH forum and Accurate Arm forum LH rifles. Search Zastava

Last edited by kk alaska; 12/18/13.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a predecessor to this, the Daly Mini-Mauser, and I love it. Unfortunately, mine has a custom barrel, and a home made stock, so all I can tell you is that the action and trigger hold up their end of the shooting experience, and it's likely I'll never get rid of the gun.

Curious if they finally made a CRF bolt for it, or left it the same as the old style with the Sako extractor.

And if you buy one, and get a custom stock for it - sell me the wood one, please. wink

Last edited by RWE; 12/18/13. Reason: spelling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The action is very similar to a Sako 46 action, which has not been made for left handers. A nicely made strong action. Great adjustable trigger. Finish is a bit rough but can be polished up with relatively little effort. They generally shoot very well for their price.

For your application, I would be tempted to look at the 7.62x39 version rather than the 223, but the 223 with 63gr Sierra Semi Points will work too.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wish they made it in a no-sights plain barrel version with a classic American styled stock, like the CZs.

I just have a soft spot for traditional Mausers, and I'd love to have a lefty in a scaled down version to fit the smaller cartridges.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have a problem with light caliber rifles for big game hunting. The old law of ballistics is, weight in motion will stay in motion. Speed is one thing but you have to have weight behind it to get in where "they live" so to speak. The rifle might be a fine firearm but I would recommend a bigger caliber. Let the bashing begin.

R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Bash all you want, but you aren't changing my mind until I have first hand experience that changes my mind.

Kinda like trying to change an anti-gunner's mind, you know?

Originally Posted by kk alaska
Bunch of info on this on the 24 hr LH forum and Accurate Arm forum LH rifles. Search Zastava

Not interested in joining another forum.

And in the last year (the furthest I could search) only 24 results.

6 from this very topic, 1 unanswered topic, and 16 on a third topic mostly discussing accuracy on the various caliber LH Zastavas.

Last edited by RiesigJay; 12/18/13.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Most have feeding issues, fairly accurate, and it is a neat rifle that requires some work to get them at there best.

If you want a custom stock there is a stock-maker in Idaho that has a pattern off of my LH stock, check Accurate Arms reloading LH section. Jim In Idaho did several reviews of his LH 223. Both here and on Accurate Arms reloading. Which is why I suggested checking out the other forum.

kk alaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a LH M85 in .223 for a short time but sold it before firing it, so couldn�t answer your questions on accuracy but will give my impressions of the rifle.

It is sized just right for the .223 family of catridges.

The machining on the feed rails and in general inside the action was rough. Bolt cycling was rough and the feeding was rough. It will need to be polished quite a bit. This is not a CRF like the larger Zastava Model 70�s Mauser actions. It has a long rib that looks like a fixed extractor but it�s just a guide rib. It is a push feed with hook extractor but with a fixed blade ejector.

The stock was big and a bit unusual for American tastes but the ergonomics were very good. It has cast on for a leftie and cant and comes to the shoulder nicely. The finish and checkering were so-so.

Mine had a double set trigger and I would recommend not getting one of those. The reach to the front trigger was excessive. The single adjustable trigger on their larger rifles is very good. It can be adjusted down nicely and is very crisp. If their single adjustable trigger is the same one as on the bigger rifles that would definitely be the way to go.

Based on results from my Zastava LH M70 7X57 and reports from others a M85 should be pretty accurate.

Overall:
Needs polishing.
Stock may need work to slim it down some if you want a compact feeling rifle.
Trigger and accuracy ought to be good.
It can work out of the box but from my sample of one it is a project rifle that will need a little work to get it really right.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Jim in ID, thanks for your review. Why did you sell it before shooting it?

Originally Posted by kk alaska
Most have feeding issues, fairly accurate, and it is a neat rifle that requires some work to get them at there best.

If you want a custom stock there is a stock-maker in Idaho that has a pattern off of my LH stock, check Accurate Arms reloading LH section. Jim In Idaho did several reviews of his LH 223. Both here and on Accurate Arms reloading. Which is why I suggested checking out the other forum.

Alright, I'll check it out. Google doesn't find "Accurate Arms" directly. Is it accuratereloading.com/ ?

IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K

kk alaska

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, www.accuratereloading.com Look in the Lefties section toward the bottom.

Bought it because when I saw them offered I thought, �Cool! A LH .223 size Mauser action. Plus I was ordering a LH 7X57 as part of that same group buy. After working with the 7X57 � slimming and refinishing the stock and polishing the action literally for over 2 hours I just didn�t want to go through that again. After deciding to sell it I left it unfired to get a better price for it.

I have a LH Kimber of OR M84 which was going to be retired and replaced by the Zastava but ultimately I ended up getting LH .223�s in a Ruger SS Hawkeye and a Tikka T3 Lite.

I have nothing against the M85 and it should make up into a nice light and handy firearm, I�ve seen some examples in pictures of the nice rifles that others have been able to make it into. But as I get older I look more and more at �plug and play� solutions that don�t need elbow grease to reach their potential.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Much obliged KK Alaska.

Jim, for a lightweight "brush" gun, would you recommend something other (in .223) than the Mauser, or is it still a good choice?

Last edited by RiesigJay; 12/18/13.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
How about a M85 in 7.62 X 39 if they make them.

kk alaska

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You might look at the CZ 527, both the Lux & the American come in LH. 1 in 12 twist, but that ought to stabilize a 60 gr Partition or 53 gr Barnes.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (808outdoors, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, ar33c9, 10Glocks, 11 invisible), 1,250 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,692
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.