Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by elkrazy
Just wondering which one you would pick, if you could only do one - Grizzly in Alaska or Cape Buffalo.

Never "hunted" grizzly, but I killed one from about 15' or so (in a tree with grizzly below me) in 1960. All together, I'd go for the Cape Buffalo now. Less difficult to hunt, but the adrenalin level is high!

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For me it would be one of the giant bears like those that Phil hangs around with smile

Last edited by hillbillybear; 12/19/13.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I choose the Buff. The outfitter would offer you many additional animals while you hunted the Buff. You could hunt 8-10 species in just a couple of weeks.
The cost would be pretty close to just the one bear.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Grizzly but it will be on horseback in NE BC. Have done grizzly in BC near Golden. Great trip. Buffalo will come later after I retire and after the BC bear hunt and other more rigorous hunts.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Both would be fantastic of course but I think that I would treaure the trip to Africa more. Ask me again in a couple of years and I might give you a different answer.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Of the two choices presented by the OP, I would choose Cape Buffalo.

However, there are multiple species that I would consider as more worthy of the "Once-In-A-Lifetime" title. Coincidentally, most of those are also found in Africa - Mountain Nyala, Lord Derby Eland, Bongo, and Roan make my list. Marco Polo Sheep and free-range Alpine Ibex would be in the running, as well.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Mr. Barsness hit it right on the noggin! I have done nine African hunts - all a month long - all after the peak hunting season. It was in a bush camp - no running water- no bathrooms - you eat what you shoot, as did the camp personnel - and it was the most unbelievable time I have lived. There were many days when my friend and PH, Terry Roach, and I never took the rifles out of the cases - we lived an entire day at waterholes, sitting on a mountainside - reading poetry out loud and watching elephant walk past us at ten feet. Amazing. My limited bear hunting was good, but not comparable to the time spent in the land where man was born.

Find a great PH, pay him what he is worth, listen, talk, shoot well. You will never remember it all, but twenty years later one moment will come back, a smell, the same feeling of the sun warming your back but now you are standing on a stream with a fly rod in your hand. Rats - now I gotta go look at the bank account. I might have one more trip left in me.

Terry

Terry

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hope you can muster up one more trip Terry ; you made me grin smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well having hunted both, I have no real interest for either anymore, now Sitka Black Tail Deer well that is a whole different ball of wax, to be able to retire to were those live and just hunt those and catch a few Salmon Halibut Ling Cod and rock fish would make for a joyful existence.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wageslave
Bear

Yes?

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
4xbear,

Well done....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Whale

Ignorance is not confined to uneducated people.

WHO IS
JOHN GALT?

LIBERTY!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hunting North America is way too expensive in comparison to Africa. Given that left leg would probably prelude me from easily traversing rocky beaches or hummocky muskeg, I would vote for buffalo. Pre-injury, I probably would have voted for Grizz.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I've hunted the big bears twice and both times were unforgettable experiences. I would do it again, although for a long time I said I would not.

They pull at you.

But I have not been to Africa and today would go there before another bear hunt,simply for the experience and something very different from North America.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
4xbear,

Well done....
Thank you Sir. How is the knee?

Bear

Life is what happens to you as you are making other plans.

NRA Patron Member
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Having seen big bears from the inside numbering fairly well up in double digits, interior and coastal versions, the change to cape buffalo might be a good option...

But there was this time we stumbled into a mess of Sitkalidak Slow Elk (feral bovines) and saw some serious attitudes come to the surface... Thinking they might pass for a good substitute for CB for now.

Besides, I drew a tag for Uganik Bay, Kodiak Island, for this coming spring... Guess I will be forced to use the tag in my pocket before looking elsewhere. wink

Then again my buddy did kill what may have been the biggest bear in the unit two years ago.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If it was jut a hunt for one animal, it would be griz. If it was a full experience hut like Cape Buffalo and plains game, I would go for the African safari.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Grizzly Bear. For me, the hunting challenge of the terrain and weather are just as important as the trophy itself.

"There's a Grizzly!" Those three words tell it all for me....

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Done the Cape Buffalo, haven't done the Griz so can't compare the two. Buffalo would be hard to beat though�.

That said Buffalo don't scare me.

Griz do�... eek

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As others have stated, I have zero interest in bovines. I've always found bears fascinating so would rather have a trophy grizzly if limited to just those two choices.

However, I would take an African Safari just for the experience and photos. Matter of fact, I could be perfectly content with a photo safari without having to shoot a thing.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 52 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,532
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.