Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I used all three snake oils in my truck to thoroughly clean the fuel infection system, remove sludge in the oil system, and de-carborn the top end.

Seafoam in the oil.

Techron in the gas. (It always works to smooth up the idle)

OMC Engine Tuner through the brake vacuum line to douche to top end.

A while back the intake mafold gaskets give out and contaminated the oil with anti-freeze and there was still minor remnants of red Dex Cool in the oil so it was time for a cleansing. This was first time in 138k that I ever used any type of additive in the oil.

The Seafom worked. Within a short time after adding it I could see the oil becoming discolored. I had a leftover can of OMC Engine Tuner so I decided to use that to de-carbon the top end while the Seafoam was in the oil. It was a top and bottom attack on carbon in the cylinders, pistons, and in particular the rings.

About 50k ago my engine had developed a slight cold start piston slap that would go away once it warmed up. No big deal but recently the knock became more prominent (not good) and took longer to quiet down.

Here was surprising result of de-carboning the top end and a fresh oil change. The knock (piston slap) is back to level it used to be which is very minor. I didn't expect this to happen ... but it did.

The conclusion I came to is that a ring(s) had gotten carboned up and was sticking thus making the piston slap more prominent. I can't think of anything else that could explain it.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
You want to really clean the top end, suck some sea foam through a vacuum hose, it will kill the engine. Wait 5-10 minutes and then start it back up.

Don't do it inside, it will smoke to all beat hell but it really knocks the carbon out.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
OMC Engine Tuner is basically the same thing as Seafoam. It is a top end cleaner that I just happened to have on hand and since I don't have an OMC outboard any longer I figured I'd use it up. It's recommended for 2 or 4 stroke engines.

I did the warm it up, spray an entire can in the vacuum hose til it stalls, shut 'er down, wait three hours, start it back up, plumes of smoke, and then drive it like I stole ... thingy.

I have no doubts that it did a good job.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
You will get 45 mpg now.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by ironbender
You will get 45 mpg now.

If your tires are inflated properly.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
You only get 45 mpg out of a diesel truck. mtmuley

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Oh god, it's going to leak like a sieve now!

Lol!

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northern_dave
Oh god, it's going to leak like a sieve now!

Lol!

Ahhhhhhhhh! cry

What kind of snake oil can I add to stop it from leaking?

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Just run a few tubes of silicone through your engine and gas tank, that should stop the leaks.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mtmuley
You only get 45 mpg out of a Cummins Diesel. mtmuley

Fixed it for you.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
you must have small block gm from 1987 and up. evrybody i know has had intake gasket go bad within 75k miles. mainly started when gm went with aluminum intake with cast iron block.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
None of this crap does a damn thing other than lighten your wallet... IMO of course.

Last edited by BWalker; 12/23/13.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
None of this crap does a damn thing other than lighten your wallet... IMO of course.

You're probably right but it gives me a warm fuzzy knowing that the inside of my engine is clean.

That feeling is worth the cost, IMHO. grin

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Have you inspected your engine before and after? The results might surprise you. I had a pretty carboned up outboard and tried every concoction known to man, including Mercury Marines carbon remover.None of them did a darn thing.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well ...

I did inspect the lifter valleys when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and it wasn't bad at all. Just minor sludge in pockets where the oil could puddle. However, after three oil changes I was still seeing red Dexcool residue in the oil filler cap but I haven't put enough miles on it yet to see if the residue reappears. The jury is still out on that one.

Techron or Seafoam can cure clogged injectors or a gummed up carb and I don't need to explain that any further.

As far as decarboning the top end it did reduce the piston slap/knock that I had so ...

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Word of advise on sea foam and vacuum tube... I did this to my F-150 a several years ago. Either the head cracked, or the gasket went out less than 100 miles later. I didn't care which, since a replaced engine was cheaper than pulling the heads. Not absolutely sure it was related, but way too much of a coincidence.

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
That's not good. I wish I would have known that sooner.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by fish head
Well ...

I did inspect the lifter valleys when I replaced the intake manifold gaskets and it wasn't bad at all. Just minor sludge in pockets where the oil could puddle. However, after three oil changes I was still seeing red Dexcool residue in the oil filler cap but I haven't put enough miles on it yet to see if the residue reappears. The jury is still out on that one.

Techron or Seafoam can cure clogged injectors or a gummed up carb and I don't need to explain that any further.

As far as decarboning the top end it did reduce the piston slap/knock that I had so ...

Techron in some cases might clean a dirty injector, but sea foam wont do anything in this regard. Neither will work worth a damn cleaning out a varnished carb.
And if your sloppy piston stopped knocking after sea foam that would tell me it definitely didn't remove any deposits as the knocking would get worse if it did.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
But ... but ... it gives you that feel good feeling. grin

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
if it aint broke don't fix it..

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

673 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1234, 19rabbit52, 163bc, 12344mag, 77 invisible), 3,081 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,430
Posts18,528,514
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.