Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep!

As I mentioned earlier, predators are naturally much less common than prey. It's a simple biological principle. In good buffalo country you'll often see far more buffalo in a day than you'll see big bears in 10-day hunt.

The trick in either instance is seeing the right one--but the odds favor buffalo hunting, especially over interior grizzly hunting. I read somewhere that the average success rate on interior Alaskan grizzlies is about 50% (which matches my limited experience on two hunts), while in buffalo hunting it's close to 100%--and maybe over, since some places allow more than one to be taken. In fact, I don't know anybody who's gone buffalo hunting and not gotten a good bull.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
Simply comparing the likelyhood of seeing animals when hunting those that live in herds with those that live solitary lives in vast areas of wilderness is naturally going to different.
To paraphrase Ferris Buehler "if you have the means, I highly suggest both"

Uuhh....yeah! Anybody who wants to can force me to go on either one and I would not be complaining either way! wink

Either one is the pinnacle of "it's all good".

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Rabbits is best...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Schrapnel did you shoot that one on the way to the range? smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
....must have lived near a nuclear power plant..

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
.....in New Jersey grin

The Mighty Wabbit that ate Ocean City!
Saved by Schrapnel on the way to the range! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would like to take this thread in a slightly different tangent as a lot of folks mentioned that buffalo hunts are less expensive than grizzly hunts - and then go on to compare the cheapest SA or Zim buffalo hunts with the top Kodiak and Peninsula brown bear hunts.
I know some good young Alaskan outfitters who's prices for grizzly hunts are less than any recent buffalo hunts anywhere in Africa and would like to hear from someone with experience what the total cost of a buffalo hunt in Tanzania with some of the top outfitters like Robin Hurt would be ?

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Phil:

That would be interesting to know. I would wager that the best East African cape buffalo hunts with World famous celebrity-like professional hunters are more expensive than the lower priced interior mountain grizzly hunts. I'm sure they'd be more expensive than my mountain grizzly hunts, anyway. It would be interesting to know what a East African buffalo hunt with on of the celebrity PH's is selling at.

Maverick

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've been on a couple of higher-dollar buffalo hunts, one in 2002 and one in 2011. The first was a 10-day hunt in Botswana's Okavango Delta (which is no longer possible) and included 5 head of plains game (kudu, tsessebe, warthog, impala, red lechwe). The cost of the hunt at that time was around $30,000.

The second was in the Selous Reserve in Tanzania in 2011. Could have taken more than one buffalo but didn't, as the one I killed was the biggest I saw. Also took impala, zebra, Lichtenstein's hartebeest and blue wildebeest. The price was in the same ballpark at the Botswana hunt.

From what I understand the prices for northern Tanzania buffalo hunts are higher, as the buffalo there are along the biggest on the continent.

In both instances, there were cheaper places to hunt buffalo, but from what I've been told by the PH's involved (most of whom were from Zimbabwe) Botswana and Tanzania are considered the "wildest" parts of wild Africa available for guided safari hunts--and all said they would rather guide in those countries than anywhere else.

It's too bad the Okavango (and other public portions of Botswana) are now off-limits to hunters, as it was indeed a magnificent experience. When I hunt in Africa I usually also spend some time at one of the great game parks, to see and photograph the wide variety of big game, smaller mammals and birds, but the Okavango was as magnificent as any park I've visited.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've been on a couple of higher-dollar buffalo hunts, one in 2002 and one in 2011. The first was a 10-day hunt in Botswana's Okavango Delta (which is no longer possible) and included 5 head of plains game (kudu, tsessebe, warthog, impala, red lechwe). The cost of the hunt at that time was around $30,000.

The second was in the Selous Reserve in Tanzania in 2011. Could have taken more than one buffalo but didn't, as the one I killed was the biggest I saw. Also took impala, zebra, Lichtenstein's hartebeest and blue wildebeest. The price was in the same ballpark at the Botswana hunt.

From what I understand the prices for northern Tanzania buffalo hunts are higher, as the buffalo there are along the biggest on the continent.

In both instances, there were cheaper places to hunt buffalo, but from what I've been told by the PH's involved (most of whom were from Zimbabwe) Botswana and Tanzania are considered the "wildest" parts of wild Africa available for guided safari hunts--and all said they would rather guide in those countries than anywhere else.

It's too bad the Okavango (and other public portions of Botswana) are now off-limits to hunters, as it was indeed a magnificent experience. When I hunt in Africa I usually also spend some time at one of the great game parks, to see and photograph the wide variety of big game, smaller mammals and birds, but the Okavango was as magnificent as any park I've visited.

With that much money a guy could do two Alaskan hunts with me [for example; a Dall sheep hunt and then an Alaska/Yukon moose hunt] and would have some money left over to put toward a substantial down payment on a brown bear hunt or a mountain grizzly hunt or mountain goat hunt.

Thirty grand is a lot of money. Those present-day hunts in Tanzania are supposedly the "truest" form, in the sense of what Africa once was. I used to date a linguistics major who, afterward, was stationed in Tanzania. She befriended the daughter of a professional hunter [I've long since forgotten what is name was, though] and according to the tales she used to recite in letters and photographs sent, it seemed to me that Tanzania remained relatively wild.

Yes, it's too bad about Botswana, and Kenya, too. Back in the day, those two countries and Tanzania were the Valhalla of African hunting expedition destinations. Politics ......

IC B3

Bear first and later Africa hunting.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Rabbits is best...

[Linked Image]

Don't laugh, I get a lot of pleasure leisurely wandering about shooting rabbits with cannons.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
must be a Rhosgobel rabbit

"The liberals preach tolerance and diversity until presented with an opinion other than their own."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would have to go Grizz myself. I've often thought that a Grizz/Moose combo hunt would be the [bleep] and may very well do one to celebrate my 50th a couple of years down the road.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Can't fathom a reason to pick Africa over Alaska.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well, those East African hunts that Mr Mule Deer mentioned do seem interesting. But solely based on the 30K price for the East African affairs and based on the average American citizen's personal economics, I think most Americans would opt for Alaska, rather than Africa. That still doesn't negate the fact that the East African hunts seem to be pretty exciting, in a historical sense.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Most Americans opt for somewhere else in Africa for buffalo, these days usually Zimbabwe or South Africa, where the price can be half as much as in East Africa--and also usually includes some plains game.

Personally, I try to balance Alaska and Africa. Right now Africa is ahead by one trip. But I also like Canada a lot too, and have hunted up there from Quebec to British Columbia as many times as I've been to Africa AND Alaska together--and grizzlies can be hunted in Canada. The coastal bears get pretty big, even though they're not called "brown" bears.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the Bella Coola region has always produced some rather nice coastal bears. They seem to be rather dark, just like their brethren in the Panhandle of Alaska.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Many people can/have hunted multiple species in Africa for the same cost of a single specie Alaskan hunt,

My pick? Grizz.

I decided 3 years ago the talking part was over, that fall I was in Ak with Grizz tag in pocket, Only thing that came home was the tag,

I'd do it over again in a heartbeat, Backpacking up a mountainside is what curls my toes,

YMMV.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940
Yeah, the Bella Coola region has always produced some rather nice coastal bears. They seem to be rather dark, just like their brethren in the Panhandle of Alaska.

Yep, I live in the area between the Panhandle and Bella Coola and the bears are typically big and dark on the coast and a bit lighter and smaller inland. Hope to draw a tag either this spring or fall.......

Gerry.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 007FJ, 51 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,036
Posts18,500,720
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.