Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Actually, I have five hunting vehicles that are at various locations across the United States.

If you'd like to get together sometime and have a cup of coffee and peruse some photo albums that I sometimes have with me while I'm hop-scotching around the country, I'd be happy to do that.

That's nothing. I have 10 hunting vehicles. And they're all amphibious.

You'd think a guy with five hunting rigs would've caught on to digital photography.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Actually, I have five hunting vehicles that are at various locations across the United States.

If you'd like to get together sometime and have a cup of coffee and peruse some photo albums that I sometimes have with me while I'm hop-scotching around the country, I'd be happy to do that.

That's nothing. I have 10 hunting vehicles. And they're all amphibious.

You'd think a guy with five hunting rigs would've caught on to digital photography.

Congratulations. I'm happy for you in light of the fact that you own an assortment of automobiles. You're fortunate in that regard, because most Americans can't afford that type of expense.

Yes, I also have a 35mm digital camera with an assortment of compatible lenses, in addition to the various 35mm manual SLRs that I've kept because of the quality product those cameras create.

Anyway, the same invitation is extended to you, as it has been to anyone and everyone; to meet for a cup of coffee and to have an actual conversation and to get to know one another. I have no problem meeting with people. I'm a social type of guy.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sure thing Mav. Drop me a line next time you're on the front range.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No problem. That would be great. I'm not sure which city I'll be flying into, but I'll send a PM before I fly into Colorado. I think we're scheduled to be there in February, after finishing up in New Mexico.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sounds good. I'm thinking you must be part of a well established guide service to be booked year-round in so many different places. I've always been curious about sheep hunting in AK, do you have a website where I could look up seasons, prices, etc? Or maybe a brochure? PM me if you like.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not to derail this thread and I'm not going to go on and on about sheep, but in terms of Dall sheep, I'm booked till 2018.

I have one sheep hunt that's still available in 2018 and that hunt is scheduled to occur in late August.

Each year I conduct two Dall sheep hunts and I typically entertain only two sheep hunters. However, in some years I've had as many as three sheep hunters.

I don't run dozens and dozens of hunters. Spring and fall hunts combined and per all the species sought (brown bear, grizzly bear, sheep, moose, mountain goat and black bear) I only allow 12-15 hunters during that seven month time-span.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So what's the name of your outfit?

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Location is far more important than vehicle, at least here in Colorado. I've camped next to a county road in my VW van and hauled elk home in it.

There are lots of places to hunt within a mile or two of all weather roads. I think the trick is to find good habitat that is a little farther in than most hunters want to walk and not far enough in for horse hunters. Maybe there will be an obstacle, like a steep climb or a creek that you have to put waders on to cross. Like others have said, maps and Google earth are good places to start. Then come early and scout on foot.

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Having made my way through the thread I agree with smoke and Conrad. I made my first trip to Colorado in '09 with a group of guys. It was a DIY hunt. I had a good time, but didn't know most of them. I thought to myself I can put a hunt like this together so the planning started. We went back out in 2011. This time it was the group of guys I hunt with at deer camp. We have been hunting together for 20 years. We had a great time and my buddies dad got an elk. We didn't make it out this fall, but are going next fall. We hunt the second rifle season because it is combined with deer. If you would like I can e-mail you my lists. They include a camp list, provisions, clothing, and day pack. Most of the guys here can offer more experience than me, but this is what has worked for us.

Parko

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by smokepole
So what's the name of your outfit?

Chirp...Chirp...chirp

IC B3

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by parko
Having made my way through the thread I agree with smoke and Conrad. I made my first trip to Colorado in '09 with a group of guys. It was a DIY hunt. I had a good time, but didn't know most of them. I thought to myself I can put a hunt like this together so the planning started. We went back out in 2011. This time it was the group of guys I hunt with at deer camp. We have been hunting together for 20 years. We had a great time and my buddies dad got an elk. We didn't make it out this fall, but are going next fall. We hunt the second rifle season because it is combined with deer. If you would like I can e-mail you my lists. They include a camp list, provisions, clothing, and day pack. Most of the guys here can offer more experience than me, but this is what has worked for us.

Parko

I want to soak in as much information and as many view points as possible; so yes, please email me your lists.

Thank you

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm planning our first too. Archery. Lots of my acquaintances go every year and are successful, but just don't like them enough to spend a week with, so we're just winging it. There are lots of remote cabins for rent cheap in the various National Forest and I was wondering if that was route worth pursuing or if we should just plan on camping? Either way is okay with us.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Location is everything, so if you can snag a cabin in a good spot, that'd be a great way to go. The trade-off is, all the comforts of a cabin vs a campfire on the mountainside with elk bugling right near camp. Plus, you can pick up and move camp, and see more of the country that way.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks. A lot depends on how otivated I can get these flatlanders.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Alright, so far I've got...

1)Get in shape. (I'll do the best I can living at 6' above sea level. smile )

2)Boots. (I'm guessing you don't mean white rubber.)

3)Be able to shoot. (We can do that. Even with bows.)

4)Binoculars.

5)Survival gear. (Compass and a road flare?)

6)Pack (what's the best value?)

7)Game cleaning tools. (Knives, hatchet, saw?)

8)Stay mobile.

I know that opens a lot of closets, but 40 years of hunting the swamps leaves a lot of questions.

Thanks

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
You won't find any " remote cabins " on NF land. They are all on private land except for a few on ski trails that are used during the winter mostly. There are several along the Sweetwater stream , near Sweetwater Lake in the SE corner of the Flat Tops in Unit25, but it is a 3 -5 mile climb up to elk hunting areas from there.

Lot'sa outfitter permits in that area and fairly heavy hunting pressure.
Rental horses are available from Sombrero Ranches however.

Last edited by saddlesore; 12/26/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, you'll get a lot of different answers on the particulars like packs and boots but I can tell you what works for me.

1) Do a combination of cardio and resistance training on alternate days. If you belong to a gym with good trainers it would be worth a session or two with them to get you started right. Not necessary though. For cardio, do interval training (short intervals of 20-60 seconds where your muscles go anaerobic, in other words a pace you can't sustain) followed by a minute or two of recovery at a pace you can sustain. So if you were running, the short intervals would be a sprint and the recovery intervals a slow jog or fast walk to start. Don't stretch the recovery out so long that you're completely recovered; just enough so you can go again. Best if you get some climbing-type exercise in (again with intervals), like on bleachers or a stair machine, and mix it up. Go for at least 30 minutes and stretch that to 45-60 as the season gets close.

For resistance, work on your lower body and core. Squats, dead lifts, planks, leg lifts, are good examples. If you have any arthritic joints like I do, you may have to use machines that are easier on the joints, rather than free weights. Again, a trainer is good here.

Working out in a gym isn't necessary if you have other stuff you can do to stay in shape, but if not, it's the quickest way.

2) I like a good leather hiking boot that's gore-tex lined, with ankle support. The most important thing is a good fit on your feet. Go to a shop where they know how to fit boots, get them well before the season, and break them in. I've been happy with these from REI for a moderately-priced boot:

http://www.rei.com/product/855864/vasque-st-elias-gtx-hiking-boots-mens

5) I can tell you what I carry, mine is customized for the backcountry. Map, compass, and compact GPS (Garmin Foretrx 401), a couple ways to start a fire and foolproof tinder (Wetfire is a commercial product) extra clothes in the form of insulation and a windproof/waterproof shell, a little extra food; water and purification tabs (Potable Aqua), ibuprofen, percoset and any other meds, compact 1st aid kit, Swiss army knife, nylon cord, and probably a few other things I can't recall right now.

6) Not sure if you mean a day pack to carry your gear, or a larger pack to carry out your elk. Lots of good packs out there. I use a couple of different Kifaru packs but they are expensive unless you can find some used. If you can find a used K Siwash or Late Season, they might fit the budget; other than that I'll defer to others.

7) Lots of different opinions here. If you hunt bulls you'll need a saw to cut the skull plate, if not, thye're pretty much unecessary, along with the hatchet. I normally use folding Gerbers with 3-4 inch blades. If you need a saw you can go lightweight with a folding Gerber or similar and plan on spending a while and some effort to cut it, or bring something heavier like a Wyoming saw with a bone blade. I've heard good things about the Sawvivor but never used one.

8) Most definitely.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thanks guys, I'm soaking it all up. Money is not as much of an object as the fact that we always do everything ourselves, even if does mean being less successful. We have plenty ATV/UTV's, but hauling them 1200 miles is not very attractive. Does the idea of setting up a base camp with the ability to hike in and stay overnight if necessary sound like a good idea? It'll be early bow season.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
If you are talking late August which is when archery season starts, most likely all you will encounter weather wise is rain. We had a bunch in Sept of 2013. Just about any minimal shelter will do, but it needs to be rain roof and you will need wet weather gear of some sort.

Curious as to why you are thinking early archery. Peak rut is Sept. 20-25 ish

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I guess it is late September...sorry. That's early to us. Still 100* here! That's the kind of stuff I need to know.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

520 members (1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 56 invisible), 2,840 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,314
Posts18,526,343
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.