Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
..no, this isn't a variation of 99 bottles of beer on the wall...or..., maybe it is..?

anyway, who enjoys the character of deer notches? who continues the tradition?

here's one, a 38-55 A, we'd all like to hear the stories, but all we get are the notches, (and eventually a replacement stock).
[Linked Image]

and here's my 284 C that I decided to carry on the notch tradition for my grandchildren,
[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
GB1

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Actually don't mind them as they are part of the "history" of the rifle, along with any other marks that may be on the rifle.
You just wish that they could talk.

I don't own one, so I don't know if I would keep adding to a rifle, but I doubt I could start the marks on an unmarked rifle, unless of course I could/would eventually replace the wood.

Jeff, you should keep a stock for display and one for hunting that you could notch...... grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My wifes 243 gets a notch everytime a deer goes down with it. I have a 99G in 30-30 that has five of them underneath the lever. Not done by me. I have zero issues with them being there. Actually, it kind of cool. A little communication from the past. I just like to think about what it was that got those notches.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've thought about it but I'd need another buttstock for the 99F I bought from RAS...

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One the subject of making notches and keeping count:

A young couple got married in 1963. On the day of their wedding, they agreed to carry on a family tradition by putting a bean in a jar for each time they strayed from their wedding vows and cheated on their spouse, and further agreed that they would compare bean jars on their 50th anniversary.

2013 came, and on their golden anniversary the couple, now in their mid 70s, brought their respective bean jars to the breakfast table. The husband reluctantly dumped his jar containing seven beans onto the table, saying "I'm sorry, but I did stray a bit in the 1970s when you were busy with our children."

The wife tearfully overturned her jar, which contained three beans and twelve dollars in crumpled one dollar bills. "Don't be upset, sweetie," her husband said, "Three affairs in 50 years is a pretty good record, much better than I can say for myself. But what is the twelve dollars for?"

"You don't understand," she said "Every time I got a bushel I sold them."

Rod

Hunting FOR Savages, Hunting WITH Savages
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
grin grin grin

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I couldn't notch any of my guns. Too nice for that. But I do notch my bed post each time I sleep with a new woman. So far, at age 51 it has 1 notch!

The wino and I know the joy of the ocean like a boy knows the joy of his milkshake in motion...JB
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm not going to be notching any 99's. Yeah, replace the stock with a beater to hunt and notch that one, then put the good one back on at the end of season. That works. I wouldn't do it, but it's the best idea so far.

LOL
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My cousin, hunting on family land, carves his name and date into the a tree near the kill after each deer.

"We're all going to have so much [bleep] fun we'll need plastic surgery to remove our god damn smiles." - Clark Griswold

Remembering The 99
http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/1163424
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the tree notching idea! Going to have to sharpen the jack knife. Now for stocks...not so keen on that, but bought couple 99s with notches and that's part of their history.

Bruce
IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Grogel_Deluxe
My cousin, hunting on family land, carves his name and date into the a tree near the kill after each deer.
I did that one time, looked for it a few times and couldn't find the tree again. A stock would have to be pretty beat up before I'd start notching it.

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
I like the idea of stamping an impression into the wood rather than carving off a piece. That second picture looks like shades of a rotary counter.

Bore, n. Shotgun enthusiast's synonym for "gauge" ; everybody else's synonym for "shotgun enthusiast." - Ed Zern
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wouldn't deliberately notch a rifle. Any rifle, collectible or not.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Maybe I should notch that sage brush where I shot that elk this fall. Maybe that's not a good idea, Obama wouldn't allow the keystone pipeline because it would tear up sage brush. I'd probably get 20 years for notching sage brush.

wyo1895
With Savage never say never.
For a copy of my book on engraved Savage lever actions rifles send a check for $80 to; David Royal, p.o. box 1271, Pinedale, Wy., 82941. I will sign and inscribe the book for you.
[email protected]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not enough room on a 99 for all my notches, pigs alone would cover a stock in one year laugh

Last edited by billy336; 12/27/13.

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On my favorite 99, an EG rat, I put a small photo of my trophies with the date and location on it in the buttstock hole. Some are 30 years old and still in good shape. Someday I hope somebody will find them and wonder who owned the gun.

Mike

NRA Patron Member

If its "Made in America", its not setting on a container ship!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I hate notches.

We have a name for people that deliberately deface high quality firearms.

His name is...Bubba

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Don't know who put them there, or what they mean, but at the top of the forearm on 1895 there is a row of about twenty little notches on one side, and a row of about twelve bigger notches on the other. The rifle came out of South Dakota.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 300savagehunter
On my favorite 99, an EG rat, I put a small photo of my trophies with the date and location on it in the buttstock hole. Some are 30 years old and still in good shape. Someday I hope somebody will find them and wonder who owned the gun.

Mike

As I was reading through this thread, this was what i was thinking... glad to see someone doing it already... the other idea would be to get a nice, high quality piece of lined card stock and just record date, species, etc. and keep it in the butt stock bolt hole. Over the years, I have found all sort of things in their... old hunting licenses, "survival kits," extra ammo, etc.

Andrew
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=billy336]Not enough room on a 99 for all my notches, pigs alone would cover a stock in one year

Average 2 deer a year for the past 25 years and a couple pigs, the stock would look like someone tried to checker it with a chainsaw. If I ever come across an old gun from the days when deer were rare, with notches, I'd buy it in a heart beat, But, I wouldn't keep notching it. On the East Coast there are just too many deer to make notching mean anything special, Joe.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 007FJ, 57 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,518
Posts18,472,501
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.