M
I am more of a fish and chips on the side of a mountain kind of girl smile

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Miss Lynn
why do people hate it so much ? confused
It's a Scandinavian kinda thing.. But for most people it takes a while to develop a taste for it.. The odor can be somewhat offensive to most people when it's cooking and the completed dish has a texture that takes getting used to.

I love the stuff - but it's gotten so expensive I can have lobster for about the same price... And I can't afford THAT either.. mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My answer to lutefisk is deepfried crappie. I tried pickled herring the other day for the first time, hate it. I like grilled and baked fish to, but bleached, embalmed or pickled, O my gag I'll pass.

Last edited by seal_billy; 12/27/13.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Must not be many Scandinavian's down south or we'd have deep fried lutefisk for sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll be having my 3rd lutefisk feed of the season at my house this weekend. My neighbors honestly flock towards my place on those evenings.

I can get it right out of the barrel at one of our local stores.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Must not be many Scandinavian's down south or we'd have deep fried lutefisk for sure.

There's a whole lot of Swedish folks settled just north of us about 12 miles in Elgin Tx. They Lutheran churches there have the stuff every Christmas! Most of the younger folks do not care for it either. I stays down here on the river with the yellow cats and gaspers.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by White_Bear

I can get it right out of the barrel at one of our local stores.

There's something you hear down south...never.

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Salt cod w/ gravy on potatoes....Mmmmmmm! (How could one not acquire a taste for that? It smells like fish; it tastes like fish)......lots of people seem to gravitate toward fish that isn't 'fishy'. What's that all about? (I'd like some deep-fried batter with a lump of protein inside, please!) Next wimpified metro-sexual, please. smile

My mothers side of the family was from Prince Edward Island. We ate fish a lot ,growing up. She used to make a mean fish chowder also!
Her favourite fish was horned pout when I'd catch a mess of 'em, it was feasting time!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll pass on the lutefisk, but kumle and risengryn are some of the best food there is. Also love pickled herring and smoked oysters. Lefse is alright, I ate it until I got sick as a kid and sort of ruined myself on it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Lefsa is good though, if you can find someone willing to go through the hell needed to make it just right.

Lefse is excellent....unfortunately its getting harder and harder to con my mom into making it so have had to slum with store bought stuff for the last two years....im about to the point ill pay good money for some proper homemade stuff....Wader's wife makes excellent lefse, he sent me some 3 or 4 years ago.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
You guys got some pretty good food out there. The first time I had Kneffla, was in Bellfield ND. Damn that stuff is good! My buddy still talks about it. His wife keeps threatening to try making it but hasn't yet.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by snubbie
Why would anyone subject themselves to something so obviously putrid and toxic ?

Ever heard of Taco Bell?

Or cigarettes?

Not much inclined towards Taco Bell sick, and I am not a smoker, and it seems now I am not a Lutefisker either wink
+1

Rog Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Lutefisk is pure ambrosia but it ain't for the panty clad girlie man crowd. You gotta be a tough old scandahoovian to really appreciate it.

"You gotta accomplish something every day. When you go to bed at night ask yourself what you did today, there better be something on the list" Robin Carlson
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am more of a fish and chips on the side of a mountain kind of girl smile

You need to head down here to Tasmania then. Yum.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by White_Bear
I'll be having my 3rd lutefisk feed of the season at my house this weekend. My neighbors honestly flock towards my place on those evenings.

You must gots seagulls fir neighbors!

grin

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I bet the gulls would ignore it. (When my hunting partner hunted in Newfoundland they fed him seagull and tried to pass it off as duck; I believe that he would have preferred lutefisk.)

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by rattler
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Lefsa is good though, if you can find someone willing to go through the hell needed to make it just right.

Lefse is excellent....unfortunately its getting harder and harder to con my mom into making it so have had to slum with store bought stuff for the last two years....im about to the point ill pay good money for some proper homemade stuff....Wader's wife makes excellent lefse, he sent me some 3 or 4 years ago.....

We have lefse "factories" in just about every small town around these parts. Some with up to 10 employees working steady through the Holiday Season.

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 5sdad
I bet the gulls would ignore it. (When my hunting partner hunted in Newfoundland they fed him seagull and tried to pass it off as duck; I believe that he would have preferred lutefisk.)

sick

Reminds me of the time a buddy of mine went to a redneck neighbors "wild game feed". He was chowing down on this meat and went to stab his fork into another piece and pulled out a cat paw. Claws and all. Yes. A. House. Cat.

The rednecks sure got a kick out of his gagging and wretching.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, seasonal "factories" of female friends and relatives gossiping and using lefse production as an excuse. laugh

Funny how they all specialize. We have to invite Nancy because she rolls them to just the right thickness. And Velois because she cooks them browned just right.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bucktail
It's fish that's been treated with lye and dried, then re-hydrated with extensive rinsing to bring the concentration of the lye down to non caustic levels. It really doesn't have all that much flavor. The texture is flakey when done right and slimy or rubbery when not done right. Traditionally, it is buried in mashed potatoes where one doesn't notice it and eaten in order to establish or preserve one's Scandinavian credibility every year or so.

There are better ways of preserving fish now, so one needn't preserve one's fish with liquid plumber anymore. It's a fairly involved process that doesn't produce a product that's worth writing home about. Many are likely put off by the process, the texture when done wrong, or the smell.

My very Norske uncle used to say lutefisk was made by soaking cod in lye, nailing it to the shingles on the side of the barn and letting it dry. He went on that it didn't matter if you patched the roof with the cod and ate the shingle or vice versa as they tasted about the same. It is also one reason all us grandkids eating my Norwegian grandmother's cooking learned the dinner prayer started "Dear Lord, vat is dis schidt?"

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,315
Posts18,487,290
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.