Print Thread
Hop To
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I'm considering my options for a scope to put on my .300WM and want to do some mid-range shooting for fun and possibly game. I'm considering a Horus or a Ziess Conquest with a ballistic recticle.

I'm not in the budget range for a Premier though I think it'd be best. I'm attracted to the Horus for the corrections being in the glass rather than twisting knobs.
I've done quite a bit of shooting to 500 yards with a Leupold VariX III in a couple rifles but have not shot beyond 800yds since leaving the service twenty years ago.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
When a Horus scope fails, not if, you will eat it. Even a year later. Their durability, reliability and customer service is atrocious.

If you want a Horus reticle the best bet is a Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50mm with the H59 reticle. A very, very good scope backed by a real company.

As far as using a Horus reticle for hunting.... In a word- don't. Unless it is a true dedicated long range gun, you will not be shooting close range shots and never in the woods.

I dig the H59 for what it's for but a general hunting reticle it is not.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I cant comment on the scope itself, I have not used one. It's not clear if you are asking about a Ballistic reticle or a Horus reticle. As for the Horus reticle if you are hunting people it is very effective and for the guys that use it, it is all they use for everything. As for LRH I would stick to dialing on MOA or an MOA reticle.

"Fast is fine accurate is final"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Well, I have never had a Horus Scope; and haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn recently...
I have shot a H59(IIRC) reticle however. For hunting with a 300WM, I personally think you are wasting your money. I didn't care for the reticle, as it is too "Busy" for my personal tastes. For honest hunting, I don't think you can go wrong with a Mil-Dot FFP scope. Once I shot one, I'm not going back. Range estimation is SOOOO simple. But again, that's my personal choice, which may not fly with you.

Again I go back to how much adjustment do you think you are actually going to need hunting? The likely ranges you would hunt at(I'm ASSuming here) aren't going to require tons of adjustment. If so back to the FFP mil-dot. Recently bought a new Weaver Tactical, #800363 for $600. Stupid happy with it.

FWIW

I'm a firm believer in the theory of " If it bleeds, I can kill it".
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks for the input.

Most of my hunting is done with a bow. When rifle hunting even then I rarely need to shoot very far. Where I'm at it's thick.
So primarily I'm playing with my toys and plan to shoot eventually to 1k or a bit more. To do what I'm talking about will require shooting across canyons generally.

I tried the online demo Horus has, and found it easy to estimate range accurately. I can't say I can always do that with a mil-dot. Some scopes seem easier than others.

If I get to the point where I have total confidence I my shoot an animal.
Still trying to decide as spending $1k instead of $3k is significant for me and on the other end buying twice is dumb.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You are talking about some of the toughest long range shooting, out there, cross canyon. Free air is tough to judge and can be very challenging. I would skip the reticle ranging and get a good scope and LRF. Take out all the variables you can. Even the military doesn't reticle range unless necessary they laser it. For them any hit is a good hit. For hunting there is no reason to reticle range and chance being off 30 yard at 1K and blowing the leg off an animal. There is more than enough that can go wrong at long range.

B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Darkker, Thanks. Had not even looked at Weaver but will now.

338Norma, I get it. I have a range finder. When I exceed it's range I will uprade. I am not asking about rangefinders or the ethics of shooting game.
A lot has changed since I earned my combat service ribbon in Iraq, and I had no interest in playing at 1k yards for years. My lack of interest has me at a disadvantage as much has improved while I wasn't paying attention. That is why I'm trying to get real feedback.

So what scope are you using to shoot 1200 yards?
What recticle is in said scope?
Which scopes have you used that you found lacking?

Samuel Colt.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Did they really name their company "Horus Scopes?"

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
me ex used to read hers all the time, thought it kind of a waste myself. they always seemed to apply to everyone. that said, is there a company that named theirs, "horus scopes"? and if they did, did they really want people to take them seriously?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by BigNate
Darkker, Thanks. Had not even looked at Weaver but will now.

338Norma, I get it. I have a range finder. When I exceed it's range I will uprade. I am not asking about rangefinders or the ethics of shooting game.
A lot has changed since I earned my combat service ribbon in Iraq, and I had no interest in playing at 1k yards for years. My lack of interest has me at a disadvantage as much has improved while I wasn't paying attention. That is why I'm trying to get real feedback.

So what scope are you using to shoot 1200 yards?
What recticle is in said scope?
Which scopes have you used that you found lacking?

Last match I shot a Leupold M-4 8.5x25 Mil reticle out to 1260
The pair of 300 wins being built now will wear NF with either NPR-1 or MOAR reticles.
I like the NF turrets but will often hold off for wind

Last edited by 338Norma; 12/27/13.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The company is Horus Vision. Named after the Egyptian God.

I wouldn't buy one. Much better choices out there.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
BS GALORE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
B
BigNate Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by RMulhern
BS GALORE!!

Waiting for your contribution. It's to cold out to go playing with the rifle anyway, might as well sit here looking at scopes.

Samuel Colt.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by BigNate
Originally Posted by RMulhern
BS GALORE!!

Waiting for your contribution. It's to cold out to go playing with the rifle anyway, might as well sit here looking at scopes.

You've already seen it!

Even birds know not to land downwind!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

442 members (160user, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 21, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 37 invisible), 2,318 guests, and 1,059 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,704
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.