Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
338WIN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have spotting scopes. I have the twin to this one, too. I bought this cheap off ebay. Celestron 20x60 ED Waterproof model. Just like the little Leupold's. Seller didn't say it had small fungus spots on the objective end of the scope.
Sent it to Celestron for repair. They sent it back saying it was unfixable. HUH?
They sent me a new scope, but I like these 20x60 little leupold type scopes. Curiosity got the best of me and that is why I took it apart.
So I took it apart using two strap wrenches and it sure looks fixable to me!
The question I have is about evacuating air and then charging with nitrogen or argon.

I'm thinking I could place it in a large foodsaver bag then my foodsaver could be used as a vacuum pump to evacuate the air. Clamp off the hose, hook up the nitrogen source and fill the bag with dry nitrogen. I would need to screw the front and rear lens housings into the body while in the bag but I don't see that as a problem.

Yes, no? Better idea (other than tossing it in the garbage!)

I can use the scope as is now, but would like to get the fungus off the lens and recharge it.

Last edited by 338WIN; 12/28/13.
GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
W
Interesting, Let us know what you find out?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 338WIN
I have spotting scopes. I have the twin to this one, too. I bought this cheap off ebay. Celestron 20x60 ED Waterproof model. Just like the little Leupold's. Seller didn't say it had small fungus spots on the objective end of the scope.
Sent it to Celestron for repair. They sent it back saying it was unfixable. HUH?
They sent me a new scope, but I like these 20x60 little leupold type scopes. Curiosity got the best of me and that is why I took it apart.
So I took it apart using two strap wrenches and it sure looks fixable to me!
The question I have is about evacuating air and then charging with nitrogen or argon.

I'm thinking I could place it in a large foodsaver bag then my foodsaver could be used as a vacuum pump to evacuate the air. Clamp off the hose, hook up the nitrogen source and fill the bag with dry nitrogen. I would need to screw the front and rear lens housings into the body while in the bag but I don't see that as a problem.

Yes, no? Better idea (other than tossing it in the garbage!)

I can use the scope as is now, but would like to get the fungus off the lens and recharge it.

Sounds feasible if you get a source of dry nitrogen cheap enough.

You would only need to have one lens unscrewed as the vacuum should no the rest? Also I would think you would need some sort of sealant on the lens threads?

On some spotters I've seen there is a screw in the body near the tripod mount which I believe is used for purging, so it maybe worth checking yours..

338WIN Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This does have a charging port screw hole.
I must be a little slow, but I don't see how I could use the charging port screw without losing charge!
I'm thinking I might just clean it up and take it to a local shop and have them charge it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

Regards,Steve
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (16gage, 10gaugemag, 19rabbit52, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 1lesfox, 50 invisible), 2,855 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,550
Posts18,510,271
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.