Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
All you can do is try them. I'd be a little concerned about ankle support on such a short boot and them rubbing the back of my ankle. Put lots of miles on them to ensure comfort. I used some Danner Pronghorns (400gm) two seasons ago. They were generally comfortable, had reasonable support but are a bit wide for long hikes. Last season I used some Salomon 4D GTX boots 4D GTX. Really happy with them - with one exception. Conditions were quite a bit worse than forecast, 8"+ snow and temps in the teens, and while my feet stayed perfectly dry, they were cold when standing around camp. Excellent ankle support and great traction though. Not enough miles to comment on durability. You'll want insulated boots for late Oct/early Nov.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's an interesting choice....

Tanner

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prm
All you can do is try them. I'd be a little concerned about ankle support on such a short boot and them rubbing the back of my ankle. Put lots of miles on them to ensure comfort. I used some Danner Pronghorns (400gm) two seasons ago. They were generally comfortable, had reasonable support but are a bit wide for long hikes. Last season I used some Salomon 4D GTX boots 4D GTX. You'll want insulated boots for late Oct/early Nov.

Only if you can get to a warm shelter at night. Wet thinsulate is worse than no thinsulate.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Rifles And More
Well�

May have gone the wrong direction altogether, but I bought these:

Danner Boots and a set of Outdoor Research gaiters.

We'll see how breaking in goes and then get some weight on my back and work some hills over. If they don't work I got enough time to correct and you may see a discounted pair of boots in the classifieds grin

I'd look at something a good bit taller.

Something like the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme or Cabelas boots Brad mentioned would be good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That is an interesting way to go, but I like the danner selection. Make sure you let us know how they break in and handle weight on successive days.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Gonna take them out tomorrow looking for a doe. I'll let you know how they work out�

I was a little worried about the 5", but they seem very stable. I like them so far. But I'll let you know after break-in and with some weight on.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
So far so good with the Danners.

Went hunting two days now and put a few miles on them each day. Brushy draws and creek bottoms they have done well. I was worried, as others, about the low cut but they are very stable and supportive. To get to where I've been hunting I have to cross a disced field�an ankle buster if there ever was one with the big clods and uneven ground. Boots did well.

One of the complaints I did see on a lot of reviews was how it rubbed and bit into the achilles area. I could see how they could do that, but I have been wearing them with a liner sock and a heavy wool outer sock. No problems for me. Also, I have been warm without the insulation thus far (Wed was 19-36 degrees and today was 11 to 36). Mostly stalking, but sitting for periods of and hour or so.

Finally, I did wear my gaiters today since we had a little snow. I was happy with how they kept me dry and I feel like that even added some warmth(?). The only thing I did not like about them is that they were noisy in the underbrush.

Still a lot of break in left with the boots. Still haven't wore them under a load yet and done several miles of non-stop in them. Not claiming a victory, but I like them so far and they will be used here at home for sure...

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ask a soldier that spent time in mountainous regions of Afghanistan if you want an accurate recommendation

Otherwise you'll be getting $500 Schnee snob who elk hunted from horseback and walked 300 yards to his kill and will tell you how awesome his boots were.

A Morton's Neuroma is all that more sweeter when you've overpaid for pair of online purchased boots reviewed by a league of weekend warrior lawyers and corp execs out for their chest beating tag & brag guided med-spa dream hunt.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
On the previous page "fair chase" said get hiking boots and Gaitors. That,s been my choice for about the lat twenty years. Only TAKE two pairs one to dry out. My buddy this fall had the soles do his feet coming off in his $400 Gortex lined insulated boots. My choice, for easy days, ASOLO's with 12 inch Gortex gators. For heavy use, LA SPORTIVA glaciers, which I wear about 60 days a year, also Gortex lined and with Gaitors.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'm a pretty big fan of Asolo boots. They fit my feet really well. I've had several pairs over the past 15 years or so.

For a later season hunt, where there may be a bunch of snow, they aren't my first choice though. I prefer a taller boot for such use.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,838 guests, and 978 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,711
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.