Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone running one of these?

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

looks like a lot of scope for the money, whats the story on em?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Well, it's not the exact scope, but a variation of it.

SWFA Super Sniper 10X:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nky0voYC7gQ

Not an expert on scopes, but it seems that low cost fixed power scopes are always going to be better than middle range variable scopes in terms of quality. So maybe keep that in mind if you use the video review as a comparison?

These guys: link may give you a couple dollars worth of their two cents.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Been looking at one myself. Good reviews on the Optics Talk forum at SWFA, but I'd be interested in hearing from others as well.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Looks like it got everything but zero stop

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Should've stopped at- "looks like a lot of scope".

Have beat on all save the 20x and burned out one (at least 8 or 9) barrels trying to break one.

The scoop is that the zero retention, tracking, durability and reliability are what they should be.

IC B2

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I agree with their durability (I hqve a 10X). That said, the optical system is not at all special, particularly for the price.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MZ5
I agree with their durability (I hqve a 10X). That said, the optical system is not at all special, particularly for the price.

Can you expand on the "optical system" comment? Which models?

And what is better for the price?

Thanks,

Jason

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
For several years I was compensated to work on new products for these folks.
My task was to take the first offering from the manufacturer, break it, record how that happened, and make product improvements.
This process would continue until the folks at SWFA got a product they would judge good enough to put their personal names on.
Some of the abuse we subjected the products, particularly the SS line, both Legacy and HD would scare the average person. Would you take your scope for a swim, park it at the bottom of a lake for a month, then expect it to work? Or throw it repeatedly from a 35 foot tower onto hard ground, kick it down range....and back, mount it and then expect 100% function? We did this and more to the products.
There is the old original SS line of 10, 10M 16, and 20x, which are not the same as the newer HD versions or the MRAD stuff.
The HD and MRAD were in development for something like 8 years before everyone was happy with the end result.
These are not made in the same factory as the legacy scopes.
If you knew where the new units are made then you'd ask "why such a bargain?

For the record, I was never able to break a legacy 10M scope, but I did wear one out. These are still made by the original mfg to the best of my knowledge and are still one of the better buys in the optics world.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Michael
For several years I was compensated to work on new products for these folks.
My task was to take the first offering from the manufacturer, break it, record how that happened, and make product improvements.
This process would continue until the folks at SWFA got a product they would judge good enough to put their personal names on.
Some of the abuse we subjected the products, particularly the SS line, both Legacy and HD would scare the average person. Would you take your scope for a swim, park it at the bottom of a lake for a month, then expect it to work? Or throw it repeatedly from a 35 foot tower onto hard ground, kick it down range....and back, mount it and then expect 100% function? We did this and more to the products.
There is the old original SS line of 10, 10M 16, and 20x, which are not the same as the newer HD versions or the MRAD stuff.
The HD and MRAD were in development for something like 8 years before everyone was happy with the end result.
These are not made in the same factory as the legacy scopes.
If you knew where the new units are made then you'd ask "why such a bargain?

For the record, I was never able to break a legacy 10M scope, but I did wear one out. These are still made by the original mfg to the best of my knowledge and are still one of the better buys in the optics world.

Who sells the legacy scopes? A google search didn't turn up any results.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the info.

Just to clarify for my understanding... the 3-15x is made in the same plant as the old fixed power scopes. The 3-9x and HD (including 10x HD) are made in another plant in Japan, some speculate that its L.O.W.

Are you saying that one plant makes tougher scopes than the other? You can get the mil-quad in both lines of scopes.

I've been personally informed by other insiders that the fixed power scopes and 3-15x are without a doubt tougher than the 3-9x and HD scopes. This isn't to say that the 3-9x and HD scopes are not strong enough.

Now, I don't know the reason why the one plant builds a tougher scope... design, QC, spec? Don't know but if you have the info I appreciate your thoughts.

And what is the difference between wearing a scope out and breaking it? Slow degradation vs. catastrophic failure?

Thanks,

Jason

IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I've been personally informed by other insiders that the fixed power scopes and 3-15x are without a doubt tougher than the 3-9x and HD scopes. This isn't to say that the 3-9x and HD scopes are not strong enough.

Jason

I don't know that I would say that. I haven't seen a drop of difference in performance.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's good to know Formi as I still really like the specs on the 3-9x and trust your eval.

I've only owned two Super Chickens. A 20x a few years ago and a 3-15x now. Haven't been able to test the 3-15x yet. Its just sitting in a box.

I was ready to buy a 3-9x until I started digging a little bit, then got the feedback that I mentioned. In hindsight I think I said more than I should have. Both scope lines seem rugged enough for the vast majority of users.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 12/29/13.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
When you say you've burned out barrels trying to break one, on what rifles chambered for what cartriages ? And what did those rifles weigh ? How many rounds did that take ?
I have friends that have burned out barrels on one extensive PD shoot by simply shooting the rifle with a hot barrel. On the other hand, another friend couldn't find a variable scope that would hold up to the recoil of one of his 7.5 lb. 338's more that 140 rds.
It may sound impressive to some that a scope can survive being kicked down the street or thrown out a window. Or left at the bottom of a lake.
I'm impressed with scopes like Leupold's Mk.4's, 10X scopes those seals survive being repeatly submerged in submarines and can survive 1500 g's, 5000 times. E

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Thanks,

Jason

What's better for the price depends upon what one focuses on. As I said, I have the 10x SS. The primary complaint is that optical system is very difficult to get behind. Particularly, there's a shadow that floats around the view no matter where one places one's eye (verified by several others looking through the scope). It reminds me a bit of a Tasco Varmint scope I have when I turn it up to 10x. The scope has been returned to SWFA for eval, and returned to me with neither comment nor adjustment; this is just how they are, it seems. This is certainly not the worst thing in the world, it just doesn't belong on a $300 scope manufactured any time in the past 10 - 20 years.

Thus, in terms of the optical system, the following scopes I have or had, which cost me the same or less money, are better:
Redfield Battlezone,
Leupold VX-2,
3 Nikons (a Buckmasters from ~5 years ago, and 2 Monarchs that are older than that),
Simmons Whitetail Classic (close; this one has fishbowl effect pretty significantly).

And, of course, my Weaver Tactical and Leupy VX-3 Long Range are significantly better scopes. They cost more, though.

In a 3-15, I'd take another Weaver Tactical over the new SWFA of the same magnification and extremely similar specs.

I don't know how many baby seals I could club to death with any of the above scopes; I haven't done any of that sort of thing in recent memory. wink I suspect that, given the rough service I subject at least some of my rifles to (in the field, in vehicles, in precision rifle matches, etc.), I'll be able to tell you in several years whether anything has failed. The SWFA will not fail, I am sure, mainly because it sits in the closet rather than on a rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MZ5

Thanks,

Jason

As I said, I have the 10x SS. The primary complaint is that optical system is very difficult to get behind. Particularly, there's a shadow that floats around the view no matter where one places one's eye (verified by several others looking through the scope).

I can understand that complaint. Critical eye position. That's not something I expect on a fixed power.

Jason

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Eremicus
When you say you've burned out barrels trying to break one, on what rifles chambered for what cartriages ? And what did those rifles weigh ? How many rounds did that take ?
E

Somewhere north of 70k combined rounds in the last few years alone. One 3-9x42mm sat on a Recce M4 through four barrels (12-16k), a bit over 2k rounds of 7.62 from gas guns, 250+\- rounds of 300 Jarret, 100 rounds or so of 300WM, and now resides on a 308 with about 800 rounds on it. Around 8lbs for the 300J and WM and 8-10 for the Recce's and 7.62 gassers.

The least amount of rounds on the newest 3-9x42mm is nearing 10k. The most is..... A lot.

E,
I'm not attached to any scope. I shoot most scopes made, and I get to see the utter failure of the vast majority. The scopes that I see just plain work day in, day out are:

NightForce NXS
SWFA SS
Leupold Mark 4 and M3 Ultra fixed powers
Bausch and Lomb 10x military model

The Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50mm is building a very solid reputation.

I have had and see generally great service from Leupold fixed 6x's as well.

Scopes are aiming aids (not observation devices) and as such must-

Retain zero no matter what
Adjust consistently and correctly every single time
Be extremely durable and reliable
And be usable (eye box, eye relief, etc)

Any deviation from that, is a failure.

The above assumes adequate "glass", "brightness" and "clarity" from the start as these are the easiest to produce, yet matter the least on average.

I'm not attached to any scope and rest assured that if any of those scopes start showing problems I'll be the first to announce it.

MZ5,

How old is that 10x?

I've only used the 10x and 16x MOA/Mil models both SWFA and the old Tasco's (not exactly the same), the 6, 10, 12, and 16x Mil/Mil models, the 10x HD, 1-4x, 1-6x, 3-9x, and 5-20x, but none have had a bad eye box as what you say. Have also batted every other scope you mention and the SWFA's take the cake handily for the already stated reasons.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

Originally Posted by passport
Looks like it got everything but zero stop

A couple of guys over on snipershide have 'shims' for zero stop....

I received my shim set but haven't put them in the 3-15 scope yet

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...zero-stops-swfa-super-sniper-scopes.html

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
MZ5,

How old is that 10x?

I bought it from them (SWFA) about 2 1/2 years ago. It _seems_ to possibly be older than the purchase date implies, only because the Tasco name appears on a couple of paper items the scope came in/with.

'Everybody knows' that SWFA scopes are better than this, but my experience is my experience with them. I'd like to try again, but the combination of super-tight returnability policies, this experience, and lack of inventory status on the site (last I looked was months ago, but at least then they also would not estimate delivery even if you called them) makes it very difficult indeed to do so.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
First of all, thank you for the details.
Pretty much what I thought. Alot of shooting with heavier, tactical style guns and not much from really light rifles or magnum sporters. Lots of emphasis on repeatable adjustments which doesn't mean much to many of us.
The other thing is the lack of controled testing. If you were to say you ran 2-3 of each of the above against 2-3 in the same price range and design from other makes under the same conditions, then I'd say your testing was really worth something.
Be that as it may, your experiences and the details of it, are certainly worth considering. E

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Eremicus
First of all, thank you for the details.
Pretty much what I thought. Alot of shooting with heavier, tactical style guns and not much from really light rifles or magnum sporters. Lots of emphasis on repeatable adjustments which doesn't mean much to many of us.
The other thing is the lack of controled testing. If you were to say you ran 2-3 of each of the above against 2-3 in the same price range and design from other makes under the same conditions, then I'd say your testing was really worth something.
Be that as it may, your experiences and the details of it, are certainly worth considering. E

C'Mon man!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (1badf350, 338rcm, 06hunter59, 2UP, 160user, 300_savage, 16 invisible), 1,950 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,504
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.