Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My brother and I shot the 338 WM this morning. Our target was a 10" square steel plate at 840 yards, shooting 215g Sierra GKs. Vertical spread was quite good and with barely no wind we had good consistency. One thing that I realized later on in the morning which quite a few guys on the forum have told me is being able to read wind is key to being able to shoot really well at long range. With a fairly light breeze from left to right it became a whole different story and it became really clear to me as how much attention I should give to the wind with each shot. After I compensated for the wind I shot two shots and did not realize the wind had calmed down again the third shot was way off and only then I realized that the wind has calmed down again smile Quite a reminder of how much time I will have to spend shooting in different conditions to be able to make good wind calls.

[Linked Image]

Pieter

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Pieter, tie two foot chunks of surveyors tape/ribbon between you and your target, and pay attention to how they react in accordance to your wind meter. It is a very useful tool to help read wind.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
That doesn't look like any of my long range rifles grin

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rman
Pieter, tie two foot chunks of surveyors tape/ribbon between you and your target, and pay attention to how they react in accordance to your wind meter. It is a very useful tool to help read wind.

R.

Rman, Thanks for the help. I will definitely use it my next time out. I take quite a bit of notes when I shoot long range to learn exactly how my loads perform as it is not always spot on with the Strelok app I am using.

Pieter

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by dennisinaz
That doesn't look like any of my long range rifles grin

Maybe with time I should ad a Mcmillan grin

IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
What is that thing on the corner of your bench? Looks to be a spotting scope? Never seen one like that, unless you count the microscopes we used in chem class.....

Kaiser Norton

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
that stock looks way too nice to change!

I would have current stock Pillar bedded and floated,if you felt the need? instead of replacing it with anything. especially if you are running it well already.

aluminium pillars (and floated) may help with consistancy if the wood swells drastically with conditions

Last edited by rem06; 12/29/13.

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice looking rifle! Sounds like a great shooter too.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Kaiser Norton
What is that thing on the corner of your bench? Looks to be a spotting scope? Never seen one like that, unless you count the microscopes we used in chem class.....

Kaiser Norton

It is an astronomy telescope smile It was standing in the storeroom and thought I would give it a try as a spotting scope. It works quite well. It has a remote on the right hand side and it makes small adjustments quite easy. The built in stand is pretty solid too.

Pieter

m77 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks guys, The stock has aluminium pillars and the barrel is floated. It seems like the rifle shoots OK, but I do hope I can get a high BC bullet to shoot near .5"

Pieter

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1234, 57 invisible), 2,120 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,663
Posts18,493,663
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.