Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
I know the early ones had problems and the finish on those I looked at the other day was rough, but is function improved?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wood fit has improved, actions can still be a little rough compared to a JM gun. I just bought a remlin about a month or so ago. A year ago I never would have, this one passed my tests and I'm happy with it.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
the ones i see are a far cry from JM's. crappy wood, crappy matte finish. i'd steer clear and get a JM. the prices in my area for the standard CS & C, RC, etc is still less than the remlins.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've heard they've improved but I'm still leery.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
that looks pretty good. is that a matte finish? the ones i see have a real dull kind of rough finish on them similiar to what remington puts on their 870 express's. i have a 870 express with that finish and it will rust if you look at it wrong. and when you try to oil it, the finish keeps the oil from spreading like it should. i have taken to spraying it down with remoil spray and then wiping it off.

i just checked out a 336 at gander the other day. it was a big loop with laminated wood. the wood looked cheesey and there was bigger gaps around the tang than the one you have. its probably hit or miss. they may have a bunch of crappy inventory still out there so any potential buyer really needs to look close.

fortunately in my area the JM's are plentiful and still reasonable. local shop has about 8 or 10 in stock for between 3-400. they also have a early SC in 32 for $699. real nice but not 7 bills nice.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, they have improved. The pistol grip stock is still too thick though. Luckily the make blued and matte models to choose from now.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It is a matte finish, and I kind of like it. I would rather a nice deep blue, but this matte isn't so bad. I will make a note of it's durability and tendency to rust or not. So far this season it has set in my safe, might get it out some towards the end of Jan.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
As the owner of a couple Marlin leverguns, (SS 336 and SS GG), I find it interesting the claims of JM quality versus Remington. Both of my Marlins had bad bores. The loading gate on the 1895 would cut your finger. The trigger sear on the 1895 was cut by a blind drunk on a friday night. The barrel on the 336 is just slightly askew into the receiver.

My point is that Marlin quality had been lacking for at least a decade before their demise. So now that Remington has the kinks worked out, I can't see them being worse than a 1990s+ Marlin.

I sure wouldn't pay a premium for a JM-stamped levergun.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
My two bits. My brother and I had Marlin 57's (lever action 22's) - bought in the early 60's or late 50's??? Trigger pull was so hard Dad was sure the safety was locked in the on position. He thought he should send them back but my brother and I paid for the rifles by pulling weeds in bean fields and we wanted to shoot them. Dad lowered the trigger pull and we shot them for about 8-10 years. Towards the end they shot burnt powder back into our faces and finally they started to fall apart while we were hunting with them.
I had the lowest regard for Marlins -- POS!! I didn't have another Marlin until about 8 years ago.

For the time is coming when people will not put up with sound doctrine, but having itching ears, they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own desires, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander away to myths.
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
all mfg's have bad guns now and then. i have multiple marlins from multiple gens and the only JM ones i have seen with issues were late in this past decade. but i can believe a few bad ones got through before that. but the record that remlin has since they moved mfg to new york goes beyond "a few bad ones".

as with anything, you gotta check them before you buy them.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And a premium it will be.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rem141r
but the record that remlin has since they moved mfg to new york goes beyond "a few bad ones".

What record?

Remington turned out sub-par Leverguns immediately after moving the manufacturing line. Now they are building Leverguns as good as Marlin ever did.
s
Joe at RealGuns did some write ups on this. He compared in detail the then and now Remington products. Very educational articles.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
thats an understatement. go over to marlin owners forum and check out the rants. and i have personally seen some real dogs. i sincerely hope the new ones are better. from what i see though they are still not up to JM guns.

My diploma is a DD214
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
thats an understatement. go over to marlin owners forum and check out the rants. and i have personally seen some real dogs. i sincerely hope the new ones are better. from what i see though they are still not up to JM guns.

How many do you own? What is your opinion based on - the rants from another forum?

You keep badmouthing current production Remington leverguns but you don't offer any cold, hard, facts. Just a lot of forum-commando noise.

I gave you the pointers to some objective articles - go read them and then post.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've owned, sold, delt, and fondled thousands. They are getting better but not as good as a JM from say 2001 back.

There are so many JM's on the market with prices continuing to fall on the regular models, a fella could just buy a good used original. If you can live with that damnable thick pistol grip on the VERY current models, you will have a fair gun.

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 01/01/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dla

How many do you own? What is your opinion based on - the rants from another forum?

You keep badmouthing current production Remington leverguns but you don't offer any cold, hard, facts. Just a lot of forum-commando noise.

I gave you the pointers to some objective articles - go read them and then post.

i do not own any remlins because the ones i have personally inspected, probably between 25-50, over the past 3-4 years have been largely obviously crappy. not all were outwardly crappy, but a lot were. if a gun is outwardly crappy, i can only imagine what the inside looks like. i have personally seen:

rollmarks partially hidden by fore end. indicates canted barrel.

wood to metal fit on tangs that you could slip a dime into

butt pads that were crooked

actions that were very hard to cycle

these and worse have all been repeated time and time again over on the marlin site by actual owners who were not gun savvy enough to thoroughly check out their guns before buying.

i currently own:

336 30/30 - 1968
1895G 45/70 - 2000
1895GS 45/70 - 2002
336D 35 - 2003-ish
336 SS LTD 35 - 2003-ish
336 SDT 30/30 - 2008 or 9

none of these guns is crappy. i have owned other JM's that were all nice. between me, my family and close friends, we probably have 30-40 marlins from the 40's to pre-remlin. we are all smart enough not to buy the new ones yet.

the ones i see now look like cheaply laminated, poorly blued versions of marlins, ala Rossi. one at gander mt within the past two weeks was like this.

i do not have an axe to grind with marlin or remington. i own lots of rems too. i do not badmouth them for any reason other than to warn people of the issues. i do not rely on someone elses internet article to tell me that all is well. i will rely on my own personal observations. i sincerely hope marlin comes back and begins making nice, reliable guns. if they are coming back, great. i am not taking a chance yet. you spend your money the way you want, and i will spend mine the way i want.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If Rem141 owns a "D" and an "LTD", then he knows what he's looking at with the new Remlins. Compared to those two rifles, I'd say Remington will NEVER manufacture anything close to that quality.

What you get with the new (last year) Remlins is good enough for gov work with a nomenclature that should read as follows:

RIFLE, LEVER-ACTION BASIC, CAL 30-30

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 01/01/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i think that sums it up real well.

My diploma is a DD214
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by dla

i do not own any remlins because the ones i have personally inspected, probably between 25-50, over the past 3-4 years have been largely obviously crappy. not all were outwardly crappy, but a lot were. if a gun is outwardly crappy, i can only imagine what the inside looks like. i have personally seen:

rollmarks partially hidden by fore end. indicates canted barrel.

wood to metal fit on tangs that you could slip a dime into

butt pads that were crooked

actions that were very hard to cycle

these and worse have all been repeated time and time again over on the marlin site by actual owners who were not gun savvy enough to thoroughly check out their guns before buying.

i currently own:

336 30/30 - 1968
1895G 45/70 - 2000
1895GS 45/70 - 2002
336D 35 - 2003-ish
336 SS LTD 35 - 2003-ish
336 SDT 30/30 - 2008 or 9

none of these guns is crappy. i have owned other JM's that were all nice. between me, my family and close friends, we probably have 30-40 marlins from the 40's to pre-remlin. we are all smart enough not to buy the new ones yet.

the ones i see now look like cheaply laminated, poorly blued versions of marlins, ala Rossi. one at gander mt within the past two weeks was like this.

i do not have an axe to grind with marlin or remington. i own lots of rems too. i do not badmouth them for any reason other than to warn people of the issues. i do not rely on someone elses internet article to tell me that all is well. i will rely on my own personal observations. i sincerely hope marlin comes back and begins making nice, reliable guns. if they are coming back, great. i am not taking a chance yet. you spend your money the way you want, and i will spend mine the way i want.

Where did you get the idea that Marlin is coming back? And how could you have inspected "remlins" over the "last 3 or 4 years?".

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (222ND, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 270wsmnutt, 58 invisible), 2,686 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,686
Posts18,534,471
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.