Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Best wishes on drawing that permit.

The bears in Alaska are similar, in terms of color disparity; typically brown or brownish on the coast and blond or blondish in the interior.

The southeast Alaska bears are rather unique, when compared to other bear populations in Alaska.

I once saw a brown/grizzly near Yakutat that was so black that it looked just like a local black bear. It was an absolutely gorgeous animal.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In 2002 saw a big bear in northern BC, far inland, that was silvertipped black. One of the most beautiful grizzlies I've ever seen.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mr Mule Deer:

That's awesome!!

We have those types of bear in Alaska, too. Interior bears can range in color from black to white and every shade of blond, in between.

Those black-phase silvertip grizzly bears are super pretty.

Mav

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Maverick940

The bears in Alaska are similar, in terms of color disparity; typically brown or brownish on the coast and blond or blondish in the interior.

The southeast Alaska bears are rather unique, when compared to other bear populations in Alaska.

I once saw a brown/grizzly near Yakutat that was so black that it looked just like a local black bear. It was an absolutely gorgeous animal.

Thanks. We are kind of on the edge of the coastal bears and interior ones, generally when we see a beautiful light golden colored bear it is a sow but that isn't always the case. Almost all bears here whether coastal or more inland have access to fish. Here is my only grizzly so far taken in 2011 a smaller but beautiful sow.

[Linked Image]

Gerry.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
gerrygoat that's a beautiful bear and a great picture as well.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

E
elkrazy Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I really hope to be able to do both hunts, but with money, time, health, etc, one never knows so I am trying to prioritize! The idea - "if I could only do one more, what would it be?" helps me decide what to do next.

I am thinking that Grizzly comes before Buffalo, at least at the moment. In reality the first "once in a lifetime" will be a Dall Sheep hunt. I am probably going to add a Grizzly onto that which is an option and see if I get really lucky - but my focus will be on Sheep.

The money part did enter into the my thinking and if prices were equal it would greatly push me toward Bears.

I also care more about the fur(a black with silver tips would be awesome!) than size, so from what has been said above I would lean toward an interior Grizzly.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
As colors were mentioned... My first Kodiak bear was a boar just about 8 1/2' and fairly old. The hump was coal black with silver tips in a hard-edged diamond. Around that was a very light ring that grew progressively darker as it moved away. The rump was chocolate brown and all four feet were deep black. The head got darker, but not nearly as dark as the rump and the muzzle was graying.

A previous ADF&G bear biologist literally gasped when he saw it and called it he prettiest bear he had ever seen. I have bumped into him a number of times since and he has mentioned the bear repeatedly as the prettiest Kodiak bear he ever saw.

I have a picture of the life-size mount around here somewhere.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
elkcrazy,

It's probably smart to do a bear hunt first--or for that matter, a sheep hunt--as Cape buffalo hunts tend to be easier physically. (On the negative side, wild Africa continues to shrink, due to the rapidly increasing human population.)

That doesn't mean Cape buffalo hunts can't be tough. When I hunted in Tanzania two years ago, one of my companions was in his mid-60's and ended up following a bull around for miles one very hot day, at first to get a shot at a herd, and then to put more bullets into the same buffalo. He became severely dehydrated and heat-stressed, and ended up in bed for three days of an expensive hunt while recovering.

But normally a buffalo hunt requires less physical work than a grizzly/brown bear hunt, making them more possible for older hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
elkcrazy,

It's probably smart to do a bear hunt first--or for that matter, a sheep hunt--as Cape buffalo hunts tend to be easier physically. (On the negative side, wild Africa continues to shrink, due to the rapidly increasing human population.)

That doesn't mean Cape buffalo hunts can't be tough. When I hunted in Tanzania two years ago, one of my companions was in his mid-60's and ended up following a bull around for miles one very hot day, at first to get a shot at a herd, and then to put more bullets into the same buffalo. He became severely dehydrated and heat-stressed, and ended up in bed for three days of an expensive hunt while recovering.

But normally a buffalo hunt requires less physical work than a grizzly/brown bear hunt, making them more possible for older hunters.

Though I doubt I will hunt either of these species due to price, this is the rationale I would use for one over the other. Easier to write another check as you age than run up/down the hills when your older.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
elkcrazy,

And as a very general and broad statement, based on my AK experience, I would say grizzly hunting is less physical than brown bear hunting. Some of the coastal range and places like Kodiak can be brutally tough! I'm sure there are exceptions in both directions, but if can assure you more than one person has been surprised by the ruggedness of coastal areas.

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by gerrygoat
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Thanks. We are kind of on the edge of the coastal bears and interior ones, generally when we see a beautiful light golden colored bear it is a sow but that isn't always the case. Almost all bears here whether coastal or more inland have access to fish. Here is my only grizzly so far taken in 2011 a smaller but beautiful sow.

[Linked Image]

Sweet!

Nice job bud!

Bob

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
As colors were mentioned... My first Kodiak bear was a boar just about 8 1/2' and fairly old. The hump was coal black with silver tips in a hard-edged diamond. Around that was a very light ring that grew progressively darker as it moved away. The rump was chocolate brown and all four feet were deep black. The head got darker, but not nearly as dark as the rump and the muzzle was graying.

A previous ADF&G bear biologist literally gasped when he saw it and called it he prettiest bear he had ever seen. I have bumped into him a number of times since and he has mentioned the bear repeatedly as the prettiest Kodiak bear he ever saw.

I have a picture of the life-size mount around here somewhere.

I hear about guys going days without seeing bears but I think Art and I saw over 40 in the 5 or so days we were in the Kodiak archipelago. Biggest one I saw was a true bruiser and was way up high in the alpine the first day! Too bad I was only deer hunting!

One other way to look at this is where do you live? For me, Alaska is a much shorter plane ride than Africa. I don't like flying (commercial) too much!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
elkrazy,

Regardless how you proceed, I wish the best for you.

Personally, there are a lot of game animals in NA that I have not had the pleasure of hunting, or eating. I would like to take an elk and a moose before thinking about anything "mean." I would hate to die not knowing what moose steaks taste like. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And once you find out, you might delay the hunts for "mean" animals even longer.

John Steinbeck
E
elkrazy Online Content OP
Campfire Member
OP Online Content
Campfire Member
E
I have been blessed to take quite a few elk and deer so far. I do love elk meat! And I would love to find out what moose tastes like but I have not been lucky enough to draw a permit out west. Elk hunting has always been my first love (ELK-crazy) as my family well knows. I am thinking that a few times I would like to try something I have only read about.

I have also thought about the trip as well - much easier to get to Alaska - I currently live in IL and the direct flights from Chicago to Anchorage are not bad it appears. There are also no passports, etc required to travel there which is a plus.

I am currently 47 so I am thinking I have 15-20 years to attack the west and Alaska ...

Last edited by elkrazy; 12/28/13.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd have to vote for Buffalo. After living here for going on 29 years, I have yet to shoot a griz/brown bear. Have had countless opportunities, but just no burning desire to do it. Not to say that I won't. I buy a bear tag with every license "just in case" I see the "right" bear, or have to do DLP.

I'd much rather go on a horseback hunt for elk in some place like the Prophet-Muskwa area in Canada, than I would go bear hunting. That would be my North American dream hunt.

I have every intention of returning to Africa to hunt buffalo. The way things are going I better hurry, before all of the wilder areas become off limits, like Botswana.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I want a grizzly hunt up behind my house here. We usually see several while sheep hunting. Up in the alpine, sometimes higher than the sheep. And our weather is usually pretty decent in the fall too.

A wyoming grizzly tag will be my only chance at either species given the cost of Africa or grizzly in Alaska or Canada.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
elkrazy,

This may seem odd, but as mentioned earlier I've hunted Alaska and Africa a number of times, an my experience is the travel hassle and expense is close to equal.

Traveling to where you hunt in Alaska usually involves far more than getting to Anchorage. You'll normally have to take at least one more commercial flight to a smaller town's airport, and then yet another flight to camp. Given the price of avgas up there, these won't be cheap. In between you'll probably have to spend at least one night in an expensive hotel, and maybe two. You also have to bring a lot more clothes and other stuff, such as a sleeping bag, meaning extra luggage expenses along the way. Plus, in any Alaskan (or northern Canadian) trip, weather conditions can foul up the schedule completely, which may very well cut into hunting time and/or mean more days in expensive hotels, eating expensive meals. Nothing is cheap in the North.

There's far less luggage involved in an African hunt, in fact its possible to go with just a carry-on and a checked rifle case. Its almost unknown to have weather cause travel or hunting problems. The hassle of dealing with another country is minimized by using a good travel agent, and their services are cheap--as are many accomodations. Some of the wilder buffalo areas may require a charter flight, but in South Africa or Zimbabwe you'll probably be driven to camp by the safari service, directly from the airport where you land. While travel to and from Alaska may involve multiple overnight stays both ways, I've gone to Africa many times with only one overnight anywhere along the round trip.

Getting a brown bear hide and skull back from Alaska is cheaper than getting a Cape buffalo skull and hide back from Africa, though if you go to Africa with a friend or two the shipping expenses can be split. I don't know what it costs to get a buffalo shoulder mount done, but a skull mount (which is what I've done) is a LOT cheaper than a big bear rug.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
But John you do have to admit that a big bear skull also makes a pretty impressive trophy and doesn't cost any more than a buffalo skull

[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
And once you find out, you might delay the hunts for "mean" animals even longer.

OK, now you are being mean! wink

I'll have to kill my moose with a 7x57 just to prove it isn't a stunt. smile

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,395 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,046
Posts18,500,919
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.