Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Good Day Men!

Not much of a handgun guy, have had military training many moons ago when 1911's were used, but have found myself needing to carry for protection.

Looking for a 9mm single stack double action that is ultra safe to carry "HOT" and use, but have no idea what is good and what is not. I would like to carry it in a shoulder holster sometimes & on my belt on other occasion. So I'd like recommendations for good usable holsters also.

Thinking something like a Beretta 92 but not sure?

Thank you,
Bill

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Thats not a single stack and it is a large pistol. I would suggest a Glock 19.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have to have a single stack? I thought that'd rule out a Beretta.

If double stack is an option, rent or borrow a Glock and M&P and see how they shoot for you. Try the mid-size Glock too, it might be worth the switch to you. Most anybody can shoot one of them, they're both safe, simple, accurate, reliable and inexpensive. And finding holsters / sights for them isn't an issue.

I would also recommend getting some quality basic instruction from someone reputable to get you started on the right foot and help knock some of the rust off. Not everyone needs a ninja school, but a half day of drawing and basic marksmanship can really pay off in the long run. FWIW.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Get an S&W M&P9. Easier to carry than the 92 and fit most hands better. Just one opinion.......... Some will say a Glock 19, but I say shoot all three if possible, then decide.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Okay--I'll be the first.

Get the 9mm that has .45 ACP stamped on the barrel.

Serious though. You will get some good info here. Just keep reading.

Europellet!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
IC B2

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I have 2 9mm that I carry from time to time since I mostly carry a Ruger LCR for day to day stuff just to have a gun. When I want to carry more ammo I use either an M&P or a Ruger SR9. I like them both the SR9 feels thinner. Both have very good ergo's but I shoot the Ruger better. I know I can hit with that one on the move. If you need a gun you don't want to just stand there flat footed and make yourself an easy target.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
For holster use it is hard to beat a Glock 19. It is large enough to feel and handle like a "real" pistol, but small and well-shaped enough for easy concealability and comfort. It holds 16 rounds of 9mm and is a safe pistol to carry holstered if the loose nut holding the grips does his job correctly.

I've been carrying concealed since 1972 and have never found a better option for concealed holster carry than a Glock 19. I carry mine in a Crossbreed Supertuck IWB holster and don't even know the gun is there while going through my daily activities.

There are other similar sized guns and also larger caliber versions available, but today's 9mm SD ammo is excellent and 16 rounds in the gun is a nice number. Many armed professionals consider the Glock 19 to be the best Glock of all and the best 9mm for CCW.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 12/30/13.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Okay, Maybe a little more info is needed to help focus your advise.

First and foremost I HATE GLOCKS! Had a 19 several years ago and I would have been better off throwing the darn thing cause it was a piece of crap for accuracy. Maybe it was just that gun but I won't waste my money or time on another one. mad

This gun will be concealed "kinda"...If most folks know you are wearing a gun they normally won't mess with you...verse them not knowing. wink I buy classic cars for resale and carry some pretty large sums of cash.

I'd prefer a full sized handgun just in case I need to actually hit someone with the bullet. Not a plastic gun fan. Prefer something nice and shiny like a stainless. Like I said it's more for a deterrent of trouble. I don't need to carry something that has 19+1 that's why I was looking for a single stack 10+1 or some thing like that. 9mm's are fine for scaring folks that might be thinking about messing with me. I've got a S&W 629 but it's a little bulky and heavy. I'd like to keep it fairly thin that's why I'm thinking auto single stack. wink

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Glock 17 or 19. If you think a Glock 19 is not accurate , then you need more practice or learn to shoot .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like you're describing a 9mm 1911 to me.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wild Bill - off the top of my head, this is the gun that most closely fits your request...

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-T9-w-Novak-Night-Sights.asp

You should seriously reconsider your "scare them with the gun" plan though. Besides the tactical flaw, it may also be illegal.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So we're looking for a single stack, 9mm, shiny, lightweight, full size pistol that's more accurate than a Glock that can be "mostly" concealed and scare people?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Now I am starting to get scared.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Carry-able, full size 9mm, but not a Glock... have you looked at some of the polymer (or steel for that matter) CZ options? The only thing single-stack, full-size even remotely close would be the rare 9mm 1911. The Beretta 92 is a substantial/heavy/double-stack sidearm but if you've good sized hands and like it, sure, there's that. Wouldn't make many lists for great concealed options, though.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

W
WBill Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Wild Bill - off the top of my head, this is the gun that most closely fits your request...

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-T9-w-Novak-Night-Sights.asp

You should seriously reconsider your "scare them with the gun" plan though. Besides the tactical flaw, it may also be illegal.

That looks pretty good! I have a concealed weapons permit so having a bulge under my jacket or shirt is okay. Tactical flaw, nah, that is my tactical advantage. I hope! Cops and military use the same, everybody knows they are carrying, right?

Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
So we're looking for a single stack, 9mm, shiny, lightweight, full size pistol that's more accurate than a Glock that can be "mostly" concealed and scare people?

Scare people isn't what I meant...I just want them to know I'm carrying without having to say so.

Originally Posted by bea175
Glock 17 or 19. If you think a Glock 19 is not accurate , then you need more practice or learn to shoot .

Honestly I tried hard to get that glock to shoot, different ammo, gunsmith checked it out and said it was functionally perfect. I could shoot circles around it with my 629!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Springfield EMP, RIA 1911 if want that type.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wild_Bill_375
...Cops and military use the same, everybody knows they are carrying, right?...

But remember - they also have a team backing them up. 's okay if the lump scares 'em off - but be ready to do business if it doesn't.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow, only one recommendation for a single stack. I would recommend one if the single stack 9mm 3rd generation S&W.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Find a S&W 3rd Gen stainless in 9mm; sounds like the closest to what you're looking for. If you allow for a double-column magazine, you'll add quite a few more choices.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not many single stacks available & since you seem to like the Beretta 92's, you might consider a 92 Compact.

Still a double stack, but a nice gun; I have one & it carries much better than a full sized 92.

Here's a link to one currently on GunBroker........the buy now price is about the going rate right now.

Beretta 92 Compact Stainless

MM

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

239 members (1minute, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 257_X_50, 1beaver_shooter, 32 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,113
Posts18,483,440
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.