Print Thread
Hop To
D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I am just getting into archery hunting and would like advise and opinions on the discontinued Bowtech "General". I am looking at a used one that has been through Bowtech's limb recall. Some forums report that once repaired they are a very good bow and too bad they were discontinued! Can anyone suggest a fair used price for one? Thanks.

DeanA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
$350 max for bare bow in pristine condition

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

A lap dance is sooooo much better when the stripper is crying
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
The one on ebay says left handed... Watch out for that.

T
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
T
Excellent, smooth bow. I have the 2008 model. Haven't felt the need to update.

I do buy a new string every year.

The only hiccup was a cam cracked. They replaced it quickly. Bowtech's warranty and customer service is top notch.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
$350 max for bare bow in pristine condition

x2
I shot Mathews bows for 15 years, always upgraded to the newest version every 2 years, until i shot a bowtech 4 years ago. I wont go back! Cant go wrong with a bowtech!

D
Dean_A Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I know many will say go to a pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can to find one that shoots well for you. I have been told by many that Bowtech is top notch! I have shot an older Sniper and really liked it...should have bought that one! What I am only concerned about is purchasing a model that went through a recall and then was discontinued...and future support? I appreciate all your comments, thanks.

DeanA
L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Interested in a 2007 Guardian?

28 or 29" 60-70lbs. No rest or sights BUT I had a new string, D loop and silencers put on last spring.

I've killed a fair amount of deer with it since I bought it late in 2007. I had to drop down in draw weight due to shoulder issues this year. This Guardian is now set at 63#.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep an eye out for the Admiral as well, it's the updated version of the General. My buddy has a General and I have a 2010 Admiral FLX. They are very similar but mine is faster by about 25 fps even though his is set to a slightly longer draw. The speed comes at a slight cost though as his draw cycle is smoother than mine. Both are pretty dead in the hand on the shot and are pretty quiet bare. The Admiral does away with the extra pins and C clips, but he hasn't had an issue with his so not sure it matters. One big advantage of the Admiral is that you don't need a bow press with it to change string and cables. The last thing is that the Admiral is a little bit lighter. We haven't weighed them both but both are similarly rigged and my bow is a touch lighter.

The Admirals seem to go for a little bit more $ than the General, but to me the extra speed and unneeded bow press alone are worth the extra $.

Keep an eye on ebay and the archerytalk classifieds and you can get some screaming deals on either bow. As mentioned, if you go with a General make sure it has the updated limbs.

At this point you're better off waiting a couple weeks as the Archery Trade Show is next week and that's when all the new bows are typically announced. As soon as that happens prices drop on previous models.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd recommend giving a Hoyt Charger a try before buying any bow at any price range - worth finding a dealer.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (1minute, 264mag, 17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 29aholic, 33 invisible), 2,187 guests, and 1,099 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,206
Posts18,503,836
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.