Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#8415956 12/31/13
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I've decided that I want a another lever action rifle to fit in between my .243 Win and .30-06 Sprg bolt guns. I like the idea of being able to shoot pointy bullets from a Browning BLR so I've decided to purchase a BLR Lightweight in .270 Win with the pistol-grip stock and scope it. Does anyone have any BLR experience with this specific caliber or comments to offer regarding the BLR in general? Btw, LA vs. SA in the BLR is not an issue with me and I'm not interested in purchasing any other caliber than .270 Win although general BLR experiences/comments would be welcome. I'll be reloading for the .270 Win since I reload everything I shoot.

CC
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, the BLR is about my favorite lever gun. Right now though I just have the BL-22, let my BLR in 7mm-08 go to another home. I am just spoiled with a good trigger on a bolt gun, most lever actions have a hard time measuring up. Other than that, the Browning BLR would be my pick.

I also don't like any 'click' as I get ready to shoot. I realize it can be muted somewhat, just another picky point.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the fire Cosmic. I own a second generation BLR M81 in 308 (32 years old) and I like it. I don't know how much you can compare the older ones to the newer ones, as they are built very differently.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I have loaded for 06,270,257rob,and 7mag and have found it best to use lee crimp die. They will cut your groups in half most of the time. In the 270 try hornaday 140gr boatail spitzers. These bullets win the accuracy award in most 270's i've shot, especially in blr and bar rifles.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the comments.

sourdough44: I'm expecting a less than great trigger but I'll learn to deal with it. Is the "click" to which you refer cocking of the hammer?

odessa: Thanks for the welcome. Hopefully the new 81 Lightweight hold up well enough. Would have been nice to have the steel receiver though.

azrancher: I have Hornady SST 140gr bullets and I'm getting some Hornady Interlock BTSP 140gr bullets. I use similar bullets in my .243 Win and .30-06 Sprg. I've always used the Lee FCD on all my reloads with good results.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what scopes fit best? I'll probably look for something in a 3-9 variable.

Last edited by CosmicCoder; 01/02/14.

CC
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cosmic, I sure wouldn't worry about the aluminum receiver - in fact the new BLR may be better than my older one - new trigger, new hammer, different bolt, pistol grip stock (I haven't owned one of the new ones to compare). I think the technology for those receivers is pretty proven now; every top-end semi-auto shotgun on the market is built on an aluminum receiver. I mounted a new Redfield 3-9x40 scope on my Browning BLR, it wears it well, but any bigger scope would be too big. I had one of the 2-7x33 Redfields for it, but I moved it to a Ruger 44 MAG carbine. I like the Redfield - good resolution, good enough to kill right at the end of legal light. Odessa

[Linked Image]

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
That's a very nice looking BLR odessa. Is that a recent picture? If it's your 32-yr old .308, you've done a great job of maintaining it - especially the stock. I only hope I can keep my stock in as good of shape for 32 years.

Roger on the aluminium receiver - probably nothing to worry about there.

Thanks for the scope info. I like Redfield scopes. I was thinking that a Scout-length scope would fit best but I'd like to have a 3-9 variable. Maybe a Redfield Revenge 3-9X42mm or a Vortex Crossfire II 3-9X40mm if it would fit. What is the length of the scope you have on your BLR? I assume you used as short of rings as you could get and still clear the scope bell?

CC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cosmic, thanks. That is a recent picture, taken last month while I was out deer hunting with the rifle. The rifle was a gift from a non-hunting buddy, came from his uncle's estate. It had the Weaver bases with an old, no-name, cheap scope mounted in cheap rings when I received it. I bought a 2-7 Redfield scope and pulled out a set of Weaver rings I already had (not sure what height as the box is long gone - either low or medium). I made sure the scope bell would clear the rear iron sight and mounted it; didn't like the 2-7, so I pulled this scope off a Ruger 44 Carbine and used it (put the 2-7 on the carbine). The 3-9x40 fits fine on the Browning, lines up with my eye just right. The scope is a Redfield Revolution - it measures 12-3/8" from end to end. Odessa

[Linked Image]

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
My 358 Winchester BLR has a Leupold 2.5x Scout scope -

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the newer lightning version in 358 Win. My trigger is not bad and is fine for the type of hunting one would do with a 358.It's not a target trigger.

Factory silver tips give me 1.5 inch groups and I've had a few groups with hand loads rival the accuracy of some of my bolt actions...if I do my part.

Dan

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the info Dantheman and Johnny D - good to know.

Odessa: What kind of sling is that on your rifle? I'm planning to add a SM Montana sling to my BLR.

CC
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's a very old (ca. 1978) Hunter brand 1" scaled down copy of a US M1907 sling. All I buy anymore are the 1" Montana.

Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Odessa: Do you have any problems/issues with manipulating the hammer with the 3-9x40 scope attached? I'm going to use medium rings and hope that the clearance is sufficient for easy hammer manipulation. I think the new version hammers are a bit wider than the earlier versions.

CC
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Cosmic: I have a BLR in 7mm08 and it has become my favorite center fire rifle. I mounted a Swift 2-7 with the 40MM tube. Looks good and I think it is just the right magnification for the rifle. I think you can't go wrong with the BLR.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Thanks for the comment lastofthebreed. I picked up my new pistol-grip BLR in .270 Win last Friday. My 3-9x40 Vortex scope, bases, rings and sling will be delivered this week. My scope's ocular bell may be a bit larger than yours so I'm wondering about the hammer clearance. Does your BLR have the straight or pistol grip? Do you have any issues with hammer manipulation due to scope clearance?

I haven't gotten out to do any shooting yet but my first impressions are that my BLR is a great looking rifle with very good fit and finish. The trigger is much better than I had been lead to expect - very short take-up and a crisp break at what I'd guess is 4 lbs. I'm hoping to get out and get some chronograph load development data tomorrow.

Last edited by CosmicCoder; 01/13/14.

CC
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have an older one in 243 and its the smoothest lever action I have ever owned and its more accurate then I am.

V
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
V
I got the pistol grip one in 7mm-08 last year. Put a 2-8 x 32 nikon monarch on it, talley mounts and low rings. I am kind of a big guy with big hands. I need to be careful when manipulating the hammer. I wish there was an offset hammer spur I could put on it.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Shot a 7mag once in a BLR. Forkin' hurt. Tons of shorts were great. Very curious how the felt recoil winds up on your 270.. Please report back.

Hammer ext a must...
Everyone has them....

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Heading out to do some shooting right now.

woofer: I'll let you know what my initial impressions are regarding felt recoil with the BLR .270 Win.

CC
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Back from today's shooting outing. The above freezing daytime temps this week have turned the snow pack icy and treacherous but the ground is still too frozen to drive re-bar target stakes so I don't have any accuracy data to report but then I don't have my BLR scoped yet anyway.

My BLR performed flawlessly. The action was smooth and nary a bobble with the magazine feed. It shoulders and points nicely, balances well and I have no complaints about the trigger whatsoever. I shot 5 rounds from my bench rest over my chronograph and 15 rounds offhand at an old plywood target backer out at 350yds. My old eyes don't work too well with the BLR stock iron sights but I was able to get about half of the offhand shots on target. UPS delivered my scope shortly after I got back home.

I was shooting mid-level handloads [140gr Hornady SST #27352, 52.0gr Hodgdon 4350, Hornady cases, Remington 9-1/2 primers, COL of 3.232"] which averaged 2797fps over the chronograph.

woofer my kick-o-meter put the felt recoil almost on a par with my Weatherby Vanguard S2 .30-06 Sprg which weighs 9.8lbs with scope and bipod compared to the BLR .270 Win bare bones at 7.0lbs. The scope and mounts will add another pound but I'm sure that full power .270 loads will still put it's felt recoil equal to my .30-06 bolt gun.

Overall I was very happy with the first outing with my BLR.

CC
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 06hunter59, 160user, 61 invisible), 17,632 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,936
Posts18,539,242
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.