Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ryoushi
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Expandables work. Seen too many shot with them to believe otherwise. And thats around here....not on tv. Ran the Rage 2 blade last year. Gaping hole in and out. That from a 60# bow shooting a 400+ grain arrow. Havent tried the Grave Diggers on game yet, but hope to real soon. Betting they work well too. But, if I decide to go back to ST its simply a matter of screwing them on and going hunting. The ST, the rage, and the grave diggers all fly to same POI as my field points with no adjustments required

Clearly not, at least in this case. A broadhead that breaks apart on impact doesn't work. With proper tuning, any COC will shoot the same as field points.

That is simply not true. It may Group as well, but very rarely will it shoot to the same POI as a feild point.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Expandables work. Seen too many shot with them to believe otherwise. And thats around here....not on tv. Ran the Rage 2 blade last year. Gaping hole in and out. That from a 60# bow shooting a 400+ grain arrow. Havent tried the Grave Diggers on game yet, but hope to real soon. Betting they work well too. But, if I decide to go back to ST its simply a matter of screwing them on and going hunting. The ST, the rage, and the grave diggers all fly to same POI as my field points with no adjustments required

Clearly not, at least in this case. A broadhead that breaks apart on impact doesn't work. With proper tuning, any COC will shoot the same as field points.

That is simply not true. It may Group as well, but very rarely will it shoot to the same POI as a feild point.

With a properly tuned bow they will. I own my own tuning shop. I go a bit deeper than your average pro shop when it comes to setting up a bow. Bareshafts and fletched arrows group together @40yds. That means absolutely perfect arrow flight. And yes it IS achieveable with ANY bow.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Never used a rage or any other mechanical on big game.

I have used the rage on turkeys. I'll not likely ever shoot anything else. Turkeys are often a difficult animal to anchor with an arrow. Once they fly, even with a solid lethal hit, recovery becomes difficult.

Since shooting the rage at turkeys, exactly above the drumstick, the furthest they have traveled is 6-10 feet with a minimal of flopping. This minimum of flopping and running keeps the rest of the flock in front of us so that another hunter can also shoot.

Turkeys that run off or fly disrupt the flock and there is only one shot. This has worked excellent for me archery hunting and another person with a shotgun. I shoot first, no noise no disruption, then the shotgunner takes one too.

Often an odd thing happens with Turkeys. The remaining birds in the flock begin to peck at and kick at the dead bird. They don't fly off. I think they want to kill the convulsing moron having the seizure.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I've seen plenty attack a SHOTGUN killed bird too. Its how I've seen multiple shotgun kills. Most I"ve seen was 4 birds killed from the same flock, all with shotguns.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I lost two bucks with Rage two blades and a doe that I found too late because she went way too far. I have since switched to Spitfire 3 blade mechanicals and am 6 for 6 with them. They do the job right.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting that some, with mechanical failures, keep trying mechanicals when fixed are proven.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mechanicals do more damage and make bigger holes.

My brother killed a buck this year with a fixed blade WASP and it had an exit hole, but damn little blood to follow. Arrow entered front edge of hind quarter and exited behind opposite shoulder. Lungs and liver were hit and it still went over 200yds. We used disturbed leaves as much as blood to track the deer.

I've hit 4 deer in a similar fashion with my mechanical broadheads, and the deer never made it further than 70 yds and often less than 50.

look at the pictures I posted 2 pages back and you'll see the typical sized exit hole. Beer can sized and LOTS of blood.

Last edited by dmsbandit; 11/16/13.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by acooper1983

With a properly tuned bow they will. I own my own tuning shop. I go a bit deeper than your average pro shop when it comes to setting up a bow. Bareshafts and fletched arrows group together @40yds. That means absolutely perfect arrow flight. And yes it IS achieveable with ANY bow.

I wish you lived closer....

My local shop is run by "good ol boys" who do the best they can with the knowledge they've picked up over the years, but I don't think they can take it to the next level.

I've tried to set my bow up(Mathews Drenalin), but as of yet, it will not shoot broadheads and tips to the same place. Some broadheads it won't shoot at all. I realize it could be a number of things wrong.

I've got it to shoot okay with small COC out to the range I feel comfortable at.

But next year, if I've got time and the $$$, I want to get it tuned properly and shoot so I can shoot some Big COC out to 40 yards or so.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
Originally Posted by eyeball
Expandables work most the time.

Muzzies work all the time.

I've NEVER lost a deer to an expandable broadhead. They make bigger holes, fly true, and are not picky about the set-up they're used on. That broadhead pictured has even taking multiple deer at severe racking angles. That big chisel tip does everything a muzzy tip does, but the blades behind it do more damage going thru tissue and bone.
+1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A 1" 4-blade fixed cuts as much as a 2" 2-blade expandable.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
IC B3

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by ltppowell
A 1" 4-blade fixed cuts as much as a 2" 2-blade expandable.

4 blade Muzzies are devastating. Last 11 point I hit made it 18 yards. Last bear made it about 15 yards and was coming at me. It falling before it got to me made me a muzzy man forever.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hard to beat a Muzzy. They're kinda the .308's of the broadhead world.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yea, or the 300 RUMs. grin

Well, I guess for short range, you are right, in retrospect.

Last edited by eyeball; 12/16/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rages might not be everyones fav, but I bet come Feb ltppowell will give the Grave Diggers a real serious look. Especially after he gets a first hand look at the carnage they cause

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Well, lots of stuff has been killed with a bow, starting with a long time ago. Indians were glad to go to steel from flint and the next big step was twice as many edges.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
killed a buck and a doe with 2blade rage broadheads this year. both went about 75-80yds before fallin over. both bled well and had 2-3in entry and exit holes. both shot thru the rib cage.boh shotwithmy tenpoint 165lb x-bow.

Last edited by srwshooter; 12/18/13.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Killed over 20 deer with rage two blade never had any problem. 95% shot under 20 yards. I wrap floss twice around to keep the blades in place.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've shot two in the shoulder with expandables and had them stop like a dart in a dart bd. Killed one of the deer a few weeks later and he just had a big knot on his shoulder bone just under the blade. Expandables work great for broad side rib impacts, but they suck on bone hits. When it comes to bone hits, pass the Slick Tricks please.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
My brother had an issue with a Rage not opening when he hit a nice 10 pointer. He took them off and went to a fixed. He uses Muzzys, but I've heard good things about the Montecs as well. I would switch if I wasn't confident. I don't see the point of a mechanical broadhead and I will stick with a fixed one myself. One less thing to worry about. My 2 cents.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I fell for the Rage marketing campaign - the boy shot a nice buck with one a couple of years ago. Hit a little too far forward and drilled him in the center of the shoulder. Deer ran off and we watched him go for over a mile. Saw the deer again a month later fighting with another buck. Had a little limp, but otherwise seemed no worse for the wear. Have a friend that had a couple of bears disappear on him with Rages and his neighbor shot a gorgeous whitetail buck that also ran off. In every case a lack of penetration and almost no blood made finding the animal almost an impossibility. I've used Montecs and found them to be very deadly, but they don't fly as well as Slick Tricks. I think I've found the perfect broadhead for me in the Slick Trick Magnum. They fly great from my setup and they are sharp and deadly right out of the box.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (808outdoors, 300_savage, Akhutr, 6mmCreedmoor, 16 invisible), 916 guests, and 906 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,206
Posts18,524,253
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.