-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Redfield and Konus are within $50. The redfield is more but has a lifetime warranty. The ProStaff is 100 more. Not looking for alpha glass. A reliable scope is what I'm after. I don't want to have to replace it in a year or two. Creedmoor has a deal on a Konus with their scope stand. For $545. Any and all advice is welcomed!

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Check and compare eye relief, if you can.

It's the important, and usually overlooked, variable, IMO.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I bought the Creedmor package. Scope seems clear enough but haven't gotten it out on the range. Will update when I do this week.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
From the handling I've done at gun shows Konus is best left on the shelf. Redfield, the old Redfields were great, not as good as Leopold but good. This new issue just bought the name and made the stuff in China.
Optics, you get exactly what you pay for, be it rifle scopes, spotting scopes, binocs, camera lenses, etc.
My old Leopold 3.5 to 10 AO bought 30 years ago works beautifully, the Leopold spotting scope 20X works great after 25 years and the Leoplod binocs are doing great after 25 years.
I like to buy something once and never buy it again.

My suggestion if figure out what you want to spend then double it, maybe even treble it.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I shot today and the Konus worked fine. Clear scope and on a cloudy, cold day, could see .223 holes in the white of an SR target at 200. Also, eye relief worked fine to lean over and look through the scope with my left eye and not lose my position. I like the stand that came with the package also.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad it worked for you, I've not had any luck with low end optics.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I haven't had bad luck with cheap optics. I keep expectations in line with cost. In this instance, I'm looking for reliable and not much else. The ability to see a constrasting 5-6" marker disc at 600 yards is all I need and can live with that. My straight spotter is a Zeiss Dalyt and woks well enough, but would like an angled scope with a steady stand for competition. Not looking to count antlers smile

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Sometimes it's better to ease into high power. Lots of gear to spend money on in that sport. Plus the Creedmoor deal comes with a nice stand, which is $200-300 value, so it's not so bad if you upgrade later.

A
A
listen to Paul39; no where in your post did you mention what you SEE when you lok through these and this is where you should be making your decision. Just the usual checks that you'd make if you were buying a rifle scope; how tollerant is the picture when you move your head around? Which has the best eye relief FOR YOU. You know the stuff.
You can prepare well enough at your home range and a borrowed scope or a buddy and his scope (or one of your take off rifle scopes) that you can go compete (especially at reduced range matches of 300 yds and under) without needing one. So go to this match and ask around when you see models you're interested in and make the right decision.
I hope this helps.
Ed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

376 members (17CalFan, 163bc, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 29 invisible), 1,835 guests, and 1,134 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,456
Posts18,508,130
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.