Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
While I was a big fan of Barnes bullets when I lived in Alaska, I just don't think they are optimal or needed on southern whitetails. Deer are so thin skinned and with little mass inside to assist that copper bullets to open enough to create the large wound channel. We have been killing deer with regular old Coreloks, Power Points and Fusion bullets and all the deer are DRT. Like was mentioned, the deer aren't big enough down here to waste both shoulders with a Barnes when a C&C bullet behind the shoulder works so well. Now if Elk or Moose were on the menu I'd highly recommend the Barnes.

I've yet to see a C/C bullet through a shoulder that you could eat up to the wound... and I've never seen a barnes hole through bone that you couldn't....

If I"m not reading the above right, then apologies, but a C/C will do more damage around bones every last time and waste more meat in the process.

And if the difference between the cost of C/C and barnes is an issue, I suggest hamburger at the store, its alwyas the cheapest route.

Don't really know what to say other than I don't aim for shoulders on whitetails, and to be honest with the exception of bears I don't aim for shoulders on any animals I plan on eating. Have killed a whole bunch of animals with this strategy and it's not failed me yet. I would just assume DRT a deer with a bullet that expands thoroughly in the vitals as opposed to blowing out shoulders or penciling one that I gotta go looking for. I have killed a bunch of chit with TSX's but I personally just don't see the need for them on Texas sized deer or antelope with quarter bore or smaller calibers. To each his own though.

GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i dont eat shoulders so for me, they are purely to anchor the animal, thus either type of bullet is fine with me provided it does what i intend it to do

The deer that small where there is no meat on the front shoulders?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Bearcat74
Originally Posted by pick

If my .257 Roberts didn't shoot so poorly I would get some for it too. It's nickname is Lightning because it never hits in the same place twice.........

Sounds like your throat is in bad shape or you have serious crown issue. Either way have you ever been able to check either of those or have a good smith look at it.

I have found 257 Rbts to be a very consistent round in almost every rifle I have found them in. Most are not target grade accurate but usually good and extremely consistent day in and day out.

Not wanting to hi-jack .. just curious.

The gun was NIB when I got it from the shop. Crown looks to be in great shape, no clue on the throat. It's a Ruger Hawkeye Ultralite. It's been in 2 different stocks, bedded, floated, full length bedded and with factory pressure. 2 different types of factory ammo, 2 different bullets and 4 different powders while reloading and ever now and then I get lucky with a 2" - 3 shot group.

Dirtfarmer - never tested and e-tip. The only mono bullets I have used are TTSX and GMX, both have worked well for me.

Well something is wrong for sure. I would take it to a good smith or sell it. Even though I really like Rbts rifles as a rule.

3" groups being one of your better one is just awful. I have rarely come across a Rbts that would not do at least 2.5" or much better with out breaking a sweat and do it all day long.

Good luck.

..pick..
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

If my .257 Roberts didn't shoot so poorly I would get some for it too. It's nickname is Lightning because it never hits in the same place twice.........

Sounds like your throat is in bad shape or you have serious crown issue. Either way have you ever been able to check either of those or have a good smith look at it.

I have found 257 Rbts to be a very consistent round in almost every rifle I have found them in. Most are not target grade accurate but usually good and extremely consistent day in and day out.

Not wanting to hi-jack .. just curious.

The gun was NIB when I got it from the shop. Crown looks to be in great shape, no clue on the throat. It's a Ruger Hawkeye Ultralite. It's been in 2 different stocks, bedded, floated, full length bedded and with factory pressure. 2 different types of factory ammo, 2 different bullets and 4 different powders while reloading and ever now and then I get lucky with a 2" - 3 shot group.

Dirtfarmer - never tested and e-tip. The only mono bullets I have used are TTSX and GMX, both have worked well for me.

Well something is wrong for sure. I would take it to a good smith or sell it. Even though I really like Rbts rifles as a rule.

3" groups being one of your better one is just awful. I have rarely come across a Rbts that would not do at least 2.5" or much better with out breaking a sweat and do it all day long.

Good luck.

While looking through my load notes I noticed that I had not tried the 115 NBT and H4831. I searched around here and found some info and started wokring with it yesterday. By the time the dust settled 47.5grs H4831 and a 115 NBT gave me 3 straight 3 shots groups of 1". I had tried H4350, imr4350, H4895, but no H4831 with the 115.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Good to hear you found something useful for that Rbts.

H4831 has always been one of the better powders of accuracy in the Rbts when shooting 115g or more bullets.

Now go have some fun and enjoy. I hear the Rbts is a fantastic fit for the 'yellow dog' :-D

..pick..
IC B2

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 2500HD, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 64 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.