Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
HogWild Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I was away from the Campfire for a few years and now that I'm back I've noticed that few folks mention or discuss Pac-Nor barrels now days. A few years back they were discussed here often and a lot of folks built custom rifles with them (including me). I had great results with mine.

So I'm wondering what has changed?......di their quality drop off, wait times get long, competitors better than they used to be (or new competitors)? Just wondering what happened I guess.

HogWild
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
more likely just flavor of the month type thing. you also see this is a McMillan crowd. but for good reason. its a great product..
nothing wrong with pac-nor they are one of my preferred barrels. altho I have used more benchmarks than any thing. mainly because I lived pretty close to them and they make really really good barrels. but you rarely see them mentioned here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still a very good barrel AFAIK. Hoping to get one in 6.5/7mm Mashburn installed on an FN action soon.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow.

Good to know your financial situation isn't serious enough to keep from getting a custom rifle made up.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Had my gunsmith build my 338-06AI with a PacNor supermatch grade stainless barrel. LOVE IT !!

Last edited by MightyPeace; 01/02/14.
IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
One thing - the last few years has seen a number of online retailers start stocking barrels of different manufacturers. Without the wait, you can now readily get high-quality cut or button rifled barrels.

One thing that Pacnor had going for them was a faster turn-around, and at a price that was a bit under the competitors. I'm not sure of their wait times now, and their prices are similar to other manufacturers.

Personally, I like Brux barrels. High quality, available from Bugholes.com, and cut rifled.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Pac-Nor's have a bit of a cult following here, I have a couple that are really good and two that are not so good. I have never had a bad krieger, Bartlein or Shilen (match select) think I will stick with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My Pac Nor had a wait time of over a year for a 7x57 chambering on a Ruger M-77 action. I think that is excessive. YMMV

Rolly
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have a few rifles with Pacnor barrels and they do all shoot very well, I did get a 20 cal select match from them last year that we just could not get to shoot, sent it back and they gave me a credit for a new barrel no problem.
I will still use them but there turn around time and price is now right up with everyone else

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by darrenk75b
One thing - the last few years has seen a number of online retailers start stocking barrels of different manufacturers. Without the wait, you can now readily get high-quality cut or button rifled barrels.

One thing that Pacnor had going for them was a faster turn-around, and at a price that was a bit under the competitors. I'm not sure of their wait times now, and their prices are similar to other manufacturers.

Personally, I like Brux barrels. High quality, available from Bugholes.com, and cut rifled.

I have a few Pacnors and they shoot well, I am happy with them. I think Darren is right, one of the big attractions to them when I registered here was the very short wait times for one. I usually grab a barrel from someone who has it in stock these days. Lots of great barrels in stock at different places these days. When I get the itch to build, I hate waiting, I want it right now! grin

NRA Life Member

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Wow.

Good to know your financial situation isn't serious enough to keep from getting a custom rifle made up.

Still no life of your own, eh Ranchie? As stated before, traded a CETME rifle for the whole job, parts and labor included. And a re barrel is a long ways from a whole rifle custom build. Not that it is any of your business.

Now, BACK on topic....

JDunahm, Short wait times, eh? I LIKE the sound of that. I am hoping to get my rifle back in time to shoot some rockchucks with it before working on a serious deer load. My experience with Pac Nor's is that they are quite good, accurate, and slow to foul up.

Last edited by safariman; 01/02/14.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know if I really needed $$$, i would be selling guns, not trading and buying them.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The one Pac-Nor I have shoots well and is the easiest cleaning barrel by far of any that I have or have had.

also the delivery time was good back when I got it. Do not know about now though.

..pick..
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The cost of a Pac-Nor barrel is right around the same price as a refund on a Ruger Charger. Interesting.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
PN easily remains far and away my favorite spout and I've a few...from more than a few.

Dat's what's termed and "understatement".(grin)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=prairie_goat]The cost of a Pac-Nor barrel is right around the same price as a refund on a Ruger Charger. Interesting.[/quote

Only interesting if one believes that someone is owed a refund or otherwise the cost of a Ruger Charger. I do not know of anyone who warrants that concession or payment, so your post has no point and is but another assenine Jr High level interruption or side track of an otherwise interesting and informative thread.

You took plenty of below the belt pot shots at me in the other thread, leave this mans thread alone fer cryin out loud.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know if I really needed $$$, i would be selling guns, not trading and buying them.

When it is YOUR life, you do just that. As for me and mine, I do some of both. Again, you have issued merely a Jr. High level, assenine attempt to de rail anothers perfectly good thread, one that that COULD and SHOULD be informative and helpful.

And while you are interrupting another thread, you are not bothering or affecting me one iota. I know from whom to take cues, tips and advice from, you are not among those people.

Here is a tip for ya, if you only sell them all, and do not re invest in some good deals with part of the cash, pretty soon you are out of cash AND saleable or expendable guns. You just spent your way out of any hope for future cash infusions and help, dummy. Did you miss your classes on basic economic truths and capitolism?

You remind me of the "Farmers" who were given stolen farms taken from white family's in Zimbabwe. Nearly all of them tore out and sold the waterpumps, motors,water well rigs, tractors, tools etc. and when they were all done and spent the cash on whatever, they were quite literally dirt poor and dependant on Red Cross rice bag drops to stay alive again.

Last edited by safariman; 01/02/14.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Pac-Nor is a great barrel. I am currently waiting for a new .308 Winchester chambered Remington 700 polygonal rifled barrel with the Rem-Nut and a muzzle brake install. Last one was a year ago or so in .22-250 Ackley, same configuration. I was quoted 8 to 10 weeks which was much faster than the previous one, but that has stretched out to about 16 weeks so far. Not bad considering the last Hart barrel I ordered took a bit over 28 weeks. Hart was the only manufacturer that would manufacture a custom barrel that I needed, so the wait wasn't an issue. Pac-Nor is experiencing a rise in demand, and that no doubt is the cause of increased wait times. But they make what I want, with great quality, and for that you gotta be patient.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Nor would I be putting used tires on my wife's rig...

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
R Loco, seems to me, is being pretty disrespectful to a good man who has had some tough breaks with his health. That could happen to anyone of us.

He has been straight up about that and about everything he's written about.

I have a great deal of respect for this man and it pains me to see his treated like that.

BTW, PacNor barrels are excellent. I have one in .204 on an old 60's vintage M-700 that was my .222 as a youngster. That barrel finally gave it up. This rig shoots sub half inch groups with factory ammo. Pretty amazing. Even though I'm set up to reload this round, I've not yet loaded any, just bought 10 boxes of Hornady ammo.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 01/03/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16gage, 007FJ, 16Racing, 60 invisible), 2,916 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,358
Posts18,488,022
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.