Print Thread
Hop To
G
gotcha Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I am considering a new rifle and would like a rifle with open sights.
I am looking for some input on the sako black bear the 2 callibers I am considering is
308 or 30-06. this will be a general go to all around rifle, I would consider the 9.3 x62
but I am not set to load that round.
also input on the sako 85 Bavarian. this is available in my favorite callibers of 6.5 x55
thank you
Carl

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I purchased a Sako 85 Black Bear in 30-06 last summer. One of the greatest features of this gun IMHO is the open sights - I can see them! I like these sights so much that I purchased a set thru Brownell's to put on a custom .375 Ruger. The trigger, out of the box is clean, crisp and breaks at about 3# on my gun. The balance and handling are fantastic.

Shortly after purchasing the Black Bear i took it out to shoot. Nothing special for ammo; some Federal Fusion 165gr loads. Photo below is the first 3 shots fired out of this gun, at 100yds, with the open sights. In my book it's a keeper. I may well look into buying the same gun in 9.3x62 if I can swing the finances. The fit and feel of this gun is outstanding in my book.

[Linked Image]

I'll add that the Bavarian is very nice gun as well, and I would expect similar results when shooting it. The Black Bear just seems more 'utilitarian' than the Bavarian with its fine wood.

As for the 9.3x62, it's a great round. Need not worry about loading for it right away. The Prvi Partisan 9.3x62 loads with the 286gr soft point are nothing to turn your nose at; and the brass is decent stuff to reload when the time comes. Privi ammo is inexpensive, and in my JES re-bored Interarms Mark X, easily shoots MOA or better.

Last edited by WiFowler; 01/05/14.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
This is a thread I started years ago getting this rifle chambered 9.3x62 imported into the US. It covers my initial experience with this particular model. To date, it has proven an excellent rifle. The thread includes comments from some who dislike the Sako 85 for various reasons. But, mine fits me like a glove and runs like a Swiss clock.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ew_Sako_85_Black_Bear_9_3x62#Post4843785

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[Linked Image]
Adding to WiFowler's post. If I had no interest in the sights, I'd have gone with a standard Finnlight. But, I wanted to use the fixed sights often and needed to go back and forth between scope and sights. The above is a three shot group with the scope removed and replaced between shots to test repeatability. Ive been greatly pleased with this Sako.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Fin lights - a bit picker on what bullet weight shoots best, and a shorter barrel yields a bit less velocity.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sakos, wish I could afford a few more. Don't have the BB but the ones I got are excellent.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As much as I love mine, this Sako is not a one size fits everyone rifle. If you love nice wood and pretty bluing, you drool over a full length Mauser claw extractor, or you are long and like to stock crawl, you may find this Sako design a poor fit. Kinda like boots and backpacks.

- Clint Eastwood
G
gotcha Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thank you for the info,
What ring set up is everyone using on the black bear?
I think I will be ordering one chambered in 30-06 tomorrow

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gotcha
What ring set up is everyone using on the black bear?

Initially I used the medium Leupold version of the Sako ringmount. Later, I came across a set of medium Sako brand Ringmounts (1pc - ring and base) and that's what I have installed now. If all I could find was the Leupold ringmounts, I'd be happy with them - they're about half the price of the Sako setup.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd go 9.3, and the BB is my choice in rifles in that round.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

187 members (79S, 673, 44automag, 10gaugemag, 6mmCreedmoor, 26 invisible), 2,317 guests, and 1,140 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,323
Posts18,526,430
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.