Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Akbob5
Ed,

How wonderfully gracious of you and your wife to host such an event; I only wish I could attend. Perhaps we 'll cross paths one day soon.

Best,

Bob

Bob, I hope we can meet. You would have a great time with the folks who are going to be here.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
" I had no idea what we were doing or where we were going".... .

Folks... David just described himself far better than I can.

grin grin

Birds of a feather... whistle grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
" I had no idea what we were doing or where we were going".... .

Folks... David just described himself far better than I can.

grin grin

Birds of a feather... whistle grin

Ed

I thought Gene resembled that remark as well. laugh

How many obama supporters does it take to change a light bulb? None, they prefer to remain in the dark.

The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place.

George Bernard Shaw

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good news, green light from wife. We plan to show up with the whoel troop. As mentioned before I will make some pisco sour and we can also try some straight up pisco. As far as the following
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Hey Sponxx
can you even buy pisco in the US?

I will for sure bring a bottle or three of supply, but it might not be enough and maybe getting some online or stores might work. You may have noticed there are a bunch of brands and grape types, we can clear those details as we go.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That's great news!

If you could give a quick tutorial it would help me when I talk with my son about sourcing some pisco in Dallas.

Ed

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Trader Joe's ( http://www.traderjoes.com/index.asp ) imports "Pisco of the Gods" from Peru.

There's a Trader Joe's in Dallas (2001 Greenville Avenue � 469-334-0614)

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's great news!

If you could give a quick tutorial it would help me when I talk with my son about sourcing some pisco in Dallas.

Ed

If it sloshes and will run downhill... it'll do to drink.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
That's great news!

Ed

Is that a Bear Gryls quote? eek

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Trader Joe's ( http://www.traderjoes.com/index.asp ) imports "Pisco of the Gods" from Peru.

There's a Trader Joe's in Dallas (2001 Greenville Avenue � 469-334-0614)

Thanks, Ken, that's only about a mile from my son's place.

Ed

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I will do my best to be there

Snake

That which does not kill us makes us stronger

Friedrich Nietzsche
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Outstanding! This is shaping up to be a first class shindig!

I have to admit I was being selfish when I offered to host this as there are a lot of folks in this part of the world I have been wanting to meet and this might be a way to do it. blush grin

I know there are more folks who haven't committed yet and I'm hoping they will be here to put a face with the handle, to share food, drink, shooting, and fun.

Ed

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's great news!
Ed

Ed,
Just like wine and spirits, different grapes will give the drink different qualities.
"Acholado" is a blend of different grapes or musts, which gives the drink some variety of aromatic components to it. You have the pure ones, which depending on the grapes (classic ones being the Quebranta, Italia, Albilla, Torontel, Negra Corriente grapes) can be drier or sweeter to the palate.
Mosto Verde (Green must) is sweeter, since the distillation process is initiated when the fermentation or grapes is not complete, hence there are some sugars still present. It can be made of any kind of grape.
Any and all of them are great to drink on their own. I usually use the acholados for cocktails and save the pure ones for drinking straight, but that's me.

As far as what to choose it all depends on what you guys prefer. I would recommend some acholado for the pisco sour and maybe some quebranta (dryer) or italia grape type for trying straight (little shot glasses work, though you sip not gulp it). It can be mosto verde too, and that will have some more sweetness to it which the ladies may prefer.

Do you have the link to the distributor so I can recommend some?
Otherwise the following are trustworthy and good:
Gran Cruz, Cuatro Gallos, Vi�as de Oro, Biondi, Ocucaje, Viejo Tonel, (probably in that order). I realize there are many more offerings.
I will bring some of mine, which is Vi�as de Oro, but it might help to know what has been obtained so I won;t bring the same type and we can try the different types.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That's great news!

Ed

Ed

I thought that Brear Grylls only drinks his piss.
Pisco is crystal clear by the way... and packs a punch, warms you up, however does not scratch the throat... hmm maybe it's too fine of a drink for our resident crew smile

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Sponxx
I thought that Brear Grylls only drinks his piss.
Pisco is crystal clear by the way... and packs a punch, warms you up, however does not scratch the throat... hmm maybe it's too fine of a drink for our resident crew smile

Trust me, we could use a little of the "finer" stuff in our lives. That is what we call a "hint". grin

As to a distributor, check out this place there in Houston;

SPECS

There are also three Trader Joe's in Houston;

LINK

And finally;

Pisco Porton

Perhaps what you are looking for is at one of those places.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 01/06/14.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ed

There is a Specs and a Trader Joe's less than five miles from my house.

Let me know if I need to pick something up.

Dave

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have a Specs close by I'll check it when I get the chance.
Couldn't open the link to pisco porton or find what TJ offers, but accorsing to Ken it is "Pisco of the Gods" which is unknown to me.
I plan on providing a couple bottles from my own. How much more dare we talking about. I have no clue how many people are coming and planning on drinking. Pisco Sour requires more volume than drinking it on its own, I guess 8-12 glasses of pisco sour per bottle (I make it strong, but we can titrate). Of course we can also serve smaller shares, since it can be treacheous.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's great news!

Ed

Nope............ I discovered that fact all on my own. it only applies to alcoholic beverages.

Ed

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Ok, I'm just off 276 west of Quinlan. Directions please.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Ok, I'm just off 276 west of Quinlan. Directions please.

You're about 1 1/2 hours west of us.

PM inbound.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tdd4570
Ed

There is a Specs and a Trader Joe's less than five miles from my house.

Let me know if I need to pick something up.

Dave

Dave,
I'll let you and Sponxx work out what we need since you guys are down there, if that's OK.

Ed

Page 8 of 39 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (260madman, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,304 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,500
Posts18,509,196
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.