Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hello, I don't have one yet, where would you start? I have about 10 axes, but no Gransfors. Most of mine are Hudson Bay/Boys axe types. I am thinking a Wildlife or Mini as the only hatchet I have is a Husky which handles like a brick on a stick but Hatchets are not really as much fun. It is for playing around in mostly Hardwoods

Thanks

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 01/06/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I recently bought a GB Wildlife and I like it. It weighs 22.9oz with sheath. I doubt I'd ever carry it into the woods except to feed a woodburner in the winter. I've fondled, but not used, the GB Outdoor Axe. Its head appears to be more of a splitter, while still being an adequate chopper and it is markedly lighter than the Wildlife Hatchet.

I recently bought a Husqvarna Forest Axe, and if I were going into the winter woods for a long stay, that would be my pick. It is only 20oz heavier than the GB Wildlife Hatchet, and is a real axe.

I should add that a small saw is worth much more than its weight. I'm liking the Silky folder I just purchased. EdT likes the Sawvivor, but it appears they are no longer made.

EdT has used about all of the GB forest tools extensively.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't used GB axes as extensively as EdT, but the two that I can't live without is the new Outdoors Axe (pretty much a tomohawk) and the Small Forest Axe.

On bigger trips in the fall, if we have 3 or more guys heading into camp, the Small Forest is well worth the weight to have in camp. Usually, if the big axe is going, the Sawvivor is going too.

On solo trips, and trips earlier in the year, I pretty much always have the Outdoors Axe on me. I grew up in the backcountry though, and did lots of horse packing when I was young. To not have an axe feels foreign to me.

For a big axe, find your local Husky dealer. The Multi Purpose Axe they can get is a Hultafors Brux axe that is pretty much a less refined GB Scandanavian Forest Axe. They're well worth the 60 bucks.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by DanAdair

For a big axe, find your local Husky dealer. The Multi Purpose Axe they can get is a Hultafors Brux axe that is pretty much a less refined GB Scandanavian Forest Axe. They're well worth the 60 bucks.

Got one from Bailey's last year for $70 delivered. The handle is perfect, all it needed was honing a tad. It's a chopping/splittin' mofo.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I haven't used GB axes as extensively as EdT, but the two that I can't live without is the new Outdoors Axe (pretty much a tomohawk) and the Small Forest Axe.

On bigger trips in the fall, if we have 3 or more guys heading into camp, the Small Forest is well worth the weight to have in camp. Usually, if the big axe is going, the Sawvivor is going too.

On solo trips, and trips earlier in the year, I pretty much always have the Outdoors Axe on me. I grew up in the backcountry though, and did lots of horse packing when I was young. To not have an axe feels foreign to me.

My comments pretty much parallel Dan's. I would definitely choose the Outdoors ax over the Mini and when I know I am really going to need an ax, I bring the Small Forest or Scandivian Forest.
One ax I am interested in is the Council Tools Hudson Bay, but haven't had a chance to try one. That is probably larger than the OP is looking for though.

Ed T

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Ed_T

One ax I am interested in is the Council Tools Hudson Bay, but haven't had a chance to try one. That is probably larger than the OP is looking for though.

Don't bother. I picked one up a few weeks ago in a hardware store. The handle's grain was bass-ackward, just waitin' to bust in half. I've read online that the Velvicut series had good handles, but my money would go for a similar GB tool.

It appears the only axe "deal" is the Hults-Brux stuff that Husqvarna is selling.

That same hardware store has every tool that GB makes on the rack. I looked at every handle and the grain on every single one of them was no more than ten degrees off of vertical.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Don't bother. I picked one up a few weeks ago in a hardware store. The handle's grain was bass-ackward, just waitin' to bust in half. I've read online that the Velvicut series had good handles, but my money would go for a similar GB tool.

It appears the only axe "deal" is the Hults-Brux stuff that Husqvarna is selling.

That same hardware store has every tool that GB makes on the rack. I looked at every handle and the grain on every single one of them was no more than ten degrees off of vertical.

I should have specified the Velvicut series, not the regular Council Tool. I do like the Hudson Bay style, although there isn't much an ax could be improved on from the GB's

Ed T

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Hello and thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer on the axes I own as I own a couple of the suggestions. I have the Husky multi purpose (the Hult Bruks version, not the Wetterlings) and It fun to use. Keeps a good edge and really bites. I have Velvicut Hudson Bay and it is my new favorite. It just hits where I want it to, splits stuff up great and chops as well as my axes with a quarter pound heavier head. Holds an edge nice too. Funny thing is I bought it used from a guy at a steal who could not stand it.

I have a Wetterlngs Large Hunter and it rocks so I can see why the Small Forest would be a go to.

Dan, I am like you in that I do not like being outside without at least a hatchet.
My father gave me a Norlund hatchet when I was a young one and I used it everywhere. Every time I am without an axe I miss having one as they just are fun if not necessary.

Why the Outdoors over the Mini or Wildlife?

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 01/06/14.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E

Originally Posted by NYStillHunter
Hello and thanks for the replies. I should have been clearer on the axes I own as I own a couple of the suggestions. I have the Husky multi purpose (the Hult Bruks version, not the Wetterlings) and It fun to use. Keeps a good edge and really bites. I have Velvicut Hudson Bay and it is my new favorite. It just hits where I want it to, splits stuff up great and chops as well as my axes with a quarter pound heavier head. Holds an edge nice too. Funny thing is I bought it used from a guy at a steal who could not stand it.

I have a Wetterlngs Large Hunter and it rocks so I can see why the Small Forest would be a go to.

Dan, I am like you in that I do not like being outside without at least a hatchet.
My father gave me a Norlund hatchet when I was a young one and I used it everywhere. Every time I am without an axe I miss having one as they just are fun if not necessary.

Why the Outdoors over the Mini or Wildlife?

To me the Outdoors does more things better than the others. In another words the Outdoors is a hatchet or as Dan more accurately put it a "hawk," that preforms like an ax.

I had a Mini for many years, used it a lot but when I picked up the Outdoors on Dan's suggestion, I sold the Mini, as I knew it wouldn't be coming along much any more.

If I need less than an GB Outdoors, and I'll pack a knife only. More that the Outdoors and the Small Forest or Scandinavian gets the nod.

The Wildlife never did anything for me. I don't care for the handle length ratio to the head weight and profile.

I'm really glad to hear 1st hand info on the Velvicut. I think I need to pick up one of those as well as one of the Wetterlings Bushman Ax:
http://www.wetterlings.se/the/index.php

Ed T

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
+1 on Ace's recommendations. Depends on where you want a 'hatchet' or 'axe'.

Absolutely love my GB SFA...awesome.

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
IC B3

N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
Where do you guys get your Gransfors from normally?

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Ed, I picked up a Council Tool Hudson Bay hatchet - 18" about a month ago. I'm very impressed with it. Handles well, nice balance and maybe I lucked out with the handle as the grain is nice. It's been splitting my kindling and smaller firewood and I'm happy.

My next purchase will be Council's Jersey Axe. My local guy can't get them, but I'll order from Baileys, etc.

It's good to lead - it's better to lead by example.
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I've got my last couple from Imagine Gear. They're is often a 5% discount floating around.

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by NYStillHunter

I've bought several GB's from Gearheads in Moab, Utah. Haven't been there in a few years but they usually have dozens of GB's to choose from. Got my Outdoors Ax from Sportsman's and Ski in Kalispell, MT.

PIRAGIS NORTHWOODS CO has a good selection as well.
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/tools-axes

They also carry handles an sheaths for GB axes and they have the Sawvivor, though it is the 18" not the 15".
http://www.boundarywaterscatalog.com/trailblazer-outdoor-produ/sawvivor-18quot-saw-combo-23256

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I need to pick up one of those as well as one of the Wetterlings Bushman Ax:

You're evil.....

Army Navy here in Ktown has those in stock, I didn't realize Les Stroud had anything to do with it.

Taking up smoking crack would've been cheaper than meeting you smile

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N

You're evil.....

Army Navy here in Ktown has those in stock, I didn't realize Les Stroud had anything to do with it.

You all are evil, No doubt a Crack Habit would be Cheaper. I just ordered The Outdoors, and on the Hunt for a Small Forest but can't find one as Gransfors can't keep up with demand.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 01/07/14.
N
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
N
As to the Velvicut Hudson Bay some seem to like the Best Made Hudson Bay Version better as it has a longer handle and a more practical Sheath:

http://www.bestmadeco.com/collections/axes/products/unfinished-hudson-bay-axe

The Council Tool Velvicut Handle Length works for me though.
I also think I got a great as the blade on mine seems like Blade is about as hard as My Swedish Axes, some say there somewhats are soft.
The Council Tool Velvicut is my favourite axe as of now though I am now on the Hunt for a Les Stroud!
The Les Stroud seems like the ticket for what I do here in the Northeast as an all around Hang out in the Woods Axe.
It should split thick oak and maple Great.

Last edited by NYStillHunter; 01/07/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote=Ed_T]
http://www.wetterlings.se/the/index.php [/

I could say that about this whole group.

BTW I just bought one of those nifty Swedish fire knives. I needed it, (cough, cough.)

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Which axe would you get if it's main duty was feeding a large stove and you are going to strap it to a pannier.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1moredeer, 22250rem, 10ring1, 160user, 66 invisible), 2,191 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,029
Posts18,481,857
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.