-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tell me about your webbed seat, at least I think that's what it is. I have a similar one that I've been monkeying with for years. The legs are fixed and I've added extensions to the front for steep ridges. I've also added backpack straps at times and even zip tied the lid from my Dana and used it sorta like a day pack, with the lid being underneath when seated.

GB1

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I do not know who makes them, but they are a God send for my old boney azz.
Couple years ago a friend of my wifes saw some hunting gear at yard sale for little of nothing she got 2 of those seats and a hunting blind and gave them to me knowing I hunt.
As soon as I saw the seats I told my wife that was the idea I had in my head for a "Hunting seat". Somebody had already made it.
You set off the ground anywhere from 8 to 12 inches depending on the incline. The legs fold out. The 2 on one side are about an inch shorter then the other 2 to accomadate for inclines they all 4 can be further adusted via screw out extension which makes it awesome on a real steep hill, if it is really steep you leave 2 legs folded in and adjust the 2 longer ones out as far as they go, this type of set up will allow you to hunt the steepest of terrain comfortably. I got to the point that without the seat my azz was going numb in about an hour. Constantly shifting my weight, which I hunt "Close cover", so that kinda of movement within 60-80 yds of a deer is IMHO a big NO,NO.
So needless to say I do not hunt without one now. Well I did an internet search and came up with this site http://www.sportsmanshangout.com/dactech-hunting-turkey-seat-p/761903367798.htm
but they seem to be currently out of stock.

Last edited by j2dogs; 12/28/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
j2dogs, Im in the situation as you. I live & hunt in Mid. TN. so I know what youre talking about hiking up some of these ridges. Im hunting a doosey right now!!! ive decided to go with a fanny pack. Here a website that seems to have some nice stuff:http://www.badlandspacks.com/hunting-packs.php

Ive got a thread in the general big game forum "fanny packs" with some other manufactures listed by fellow members you might want to check out.

j2dogs Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
j2dogs, Im in the situation as you. I live & hunt in Mid. TN. so I know what youre talking about hiking up some of these ridges. Im hunting a doosey right now!!! ive decided to go with a fanny pack. Here a website that seems to have some nice stuff:http://www.badlandspacks.com/hunting-packs.php

Ive got a thread in the general big game forum "fanny packs" with some other manufactures listed by fellow members you might want to check out.

Thanks for the info:
I got a used Eberlestock X2 on the way to me now bought off Archery Talk. I am thinking it will probably best fit my needs. With the internal frame and size. I may even be able to start doing one of my ideas. I always thought when meat hunting it sure was a waste of energy to drag a complete doe out. But here in Ky. you must first check your deer in before you start working it up. So now that I will have a large pack, I may be taking a cell phone, and county codes with me.
1. check in it on the spot, write my confirmation number down.
2. Debone her in the field and pack the meat out. Save a lot of work.

Last edited by j2dogs; 12/28/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I here theyre excellent packs!! Good luck and enjoy your new pack

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the link, fixed legs aint the quietest way to move around the woods.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You lot are too sophisticated for me...my Daughter and I just use a couple of issue Camelbak Mule in some godawful desert cam.

They were cheap at $102 new, and there are a bucket load of pouches available for adding, which is handy as the grenade pouch is just the right size for the UHF.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by j2dogs
I recently donated my old pack to a young and upcoming hunter. It was one of the old Bianchi hunting backpack, I don't think they make them anymore. It served me faithfully for several years. While it service was acceptable, I saw were it could be better.
So I am in the market for a new pack.
1. I use a hydration pack so pockets for water bottles are useless.
2. I do not hunt for more then a day at a time.
3. With 2. in mind, I live in E.Ky. and usually hunt the ridge tops, I am over 50, but in pretty good shape, so to hunt those ridge tops I have got to climb. I would like a pack that would handle strapping my Columbia Gallatin Range bibs and coat,so I do not sweat to death by the time I get to the top of the ridge.
so I think a huge main compartment would be useless, kinda like not big enough for a hunting outfit and to big for a couple of sandwiches and a apple.
This is what I usually pack into the woods give or take.
[Linked Image]
I live in a rural area and very rarely get to a large city that carries a bass pro or cabelas. So I will probably be ordering on line and will probably be depending heavily on your suggestions to order. Thanks my brothers, and Merry Christmas.

Check out Nimrod Backpacks they are exactly up your alley and what your after. Lots of Pockets modular and are made of the soft fleece like material. Great company and made in the USA.

J
J
Maybe my first post here. I've used a variety of packs. I have two Swiss Army vintage canvas and leather packs, one with the integral scabbard. Bulletproof but heavy and basically just a canvas bag. Still, they're built to last and last.
My latest is an Eberlestock J34 (Just One). Accessories include the "zip in front" which is reversible (orange on one side and camo in the back) and a spike duffle. Empty with no options the pack is about 7 to 7 1/2#s. What I like? It is so versitile. All folded up its about 2200 cu.inch capacity so nice and small and tidy. If I zip in the front cover and throw in the spike duffle it is about 7000 cu inches! I like that I can pack meat and keep the rest of the pack clean and neat. I like that I can use this as a major heavy weight hauler. I like having that spike duffle so I can keep certain gear in it and whatever else in the pack. Basically it's a waterproof duffle bag that can zip onto the back of the pack or drop inside the pack if you use the zip on front and want to haul meat.
The camo pattern is called Rock Veil and it blends in great for just about anything. Plus the fabric is fleece and waterproof to a degree and is very quiet. The fit is very adjustable. I'm 150#s, wiry, and have packed 80# over 7 miles no sweat. Once you get it adjusted to your body it carries very well. So, over 1/2 my weight and I'd suspect I could do 100#s fairly well. It has an integral rifle scabbard that I like. You can add a butt bucket for compound bows or a traditional bow carry device. It has a large pocket for a hydration bladder.
The only option I've yet to add is the full rain cover. Haven't yet had the need but I'm getting it. This will go over everything including the rifle and keep it 100% dry. You just never know if you'll need it. If I don't get one I know I'll end up hiking all day in pouring rain and despite the material being waterproof water will find a way to get into the pack without this cover. Plus depending upon your tent you could stow the pack outside all covered up in a downpour. My tent has a vestibule and that is where the pack lives generally.
To sum up, it's made extremely well. It's versatile and quiet. It will work for overnighters or week long expeditions where I need to haul a load to and from a base camp but have something that I can also use for and overnight spike camp. Eberlestock has tons of styles to choose from, almost overwhelming, but this one seemed to be the best compromise for me.
The Swiss packs?? Going onto eBay very soon! Another pack is just used these day for climbing gear. Another pack, the Lowe's Mountain 40, is a day pack used mostly for skiing. Heck, I may have a few more in hiding but the Eberlestock Just One (J34) covers almost everything.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You will like the x2 if it fits you ok. I sold a Badlands Ultraday and an old marine IlBE pack and use the x2 for everything now. For elk in Colorado I add the rifle scabbard and the extra fanny pack. It will handle 75-100 lbs of elk meat for a few miles without a problem. I use an old cabelas Alaskan for just hauling meat after the first trip. For local day hunts I drop the accessories and strap on rain gear and wtih food water and typiacl knife saw rope flashleghts still have an almost empty main compartment.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (1badf350, 1minute, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 160user, 01Foreman400, 69 invisible), 2,430 guests, and 1,154 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,704
Posts18,513,823
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.