-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here mail every day between 12 and 1 unless there's a blizzard or just after when the streets are drifted up. And in those cases trucks can't make it to the post office so there's nothing to deliver anyway. Didn't set out garbage today to give the guys a break. It's all frozen so it doesn't matter if it stays in the garage until next week.

Should clarify, "blizzard" when snow is coming down or ground blizzard when the wind is strong enough to pick up fallen snow. Like 40 MPH.

Last edited by nighthawk; 01/07/14.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No problem here in NW Michigan in the lake effect snow belt. Hell, the UPS driver even walks up my 600' driveway (long hill) to deliver packages she can carry!

Talk is cheap - except when Congress does it.

Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to
take an ass whoopin'

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
If cold weather was a reason to stop mail delivery, we probably wouldn't get mail for most of the winter. I've seen the carriers out around here in the -50's.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
in 20 years+ delivering mail in ne ks. in the city , I only remember 2 days not working because of weather. not from low temp but from snow. once ordered by management and once by snow too deep to get the jeep out of the garage. on that day management said get out there and do what you can . 3feet of snow behind the vehicles , no one got out.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
22 below on Monday. 10 below yesterday and the mail got through. Suck it up Buttercup.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No mail here Monday. FedEx and UPS both showed up, though.

"Live like you'll die tomorrow, but manage your grass like you'll live forever."
-S. M. Stirling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Right on schedule, as usual.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
On Monday it was below zero with 12+ inches of snow and the mail came about half an hour after the snow plow. Yesterday they had to plow again do to drifting and mail was on it's normal schedule. Sure getting tired of snow deeper than the mouth of my two stage snow blower, but I keep the mail box open for delivery.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by WillARights
Perhaps its not the job of filling the boxes, but what happens if a truck breaks down or a flat or something. Prolonged exposure to this frigidity could be life threatening. Especially in rural areas where there is no restaurant to run into.

Just guessing.

Probably the best answer. Also, many roads are choked with snow and ice. If a mailman runs off the road or gets stuck under these frigid conditions, death or injury can occur. Similar to Minnesota and other states closing schools; kids and freeze or get frostbite from waiting for the school bus (or if the bus gets stuck). Good decision to close or suspend.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
So that famous motto quoted by KFWA is now only a suggestion?

Here in scenic Ogden, Utah, our carrier walks the neighborhoods. And will today, as always.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never missed a beat here either. Even UPS was on time........

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
My last mail was Saturday, Jan 4th. Nothing on Monday or Tuesday.

Dave
Sticks and stones may break my bones ... but hollow-points expand on impact.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The Joliet postmaster called back after I first talked to him. He was replying to a message I left earlier. He was more worn down by then and wasn't bristling at my criticism. Instead he sort of beat around the bush but pretty well told me the real conundrum they face:

Virtually all of their staff called off on Monday and many on Tuesday.

That sounds to me like a union out of control. Why should they have the option of just shutting the whole system down? There should be a limit on how many personal days are available on any one day. If they don't like it and take an unexcused absence - that should have repercussions.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by GunReader
I'm curious who has and has not had their mail delivered through this cold snap.

New Lenox, IL had no delivery Monday and will probably not deliver on Tuesday. The decision came from higher up.

Joliet, IL had no mail delivery yesterday. They were less clear about today, but it seemed like an obfuscated way of saying "no deliveries".

And yet I see on the internet that many Northern Indiana post offices were attempting to deliver on Monday, even though they were harder hit than the Chicago areas I mention.

It seems to me America used to be made of tougher stuff. Stepping out of a heated truck long enough to fill the boxes in a PO gang box delivery unit can't be that life-threatening. Nor can sticking your arm out the window of a heated truck to put mail into a street-side delivery box.

Yes, working yesterday would certainly have been a bitter and challenging day at work. And the Post Office used to have that kind of grit, but not anymore! At least not in this Democratic Shangri-la of metro Chicago.

My friend flies corporate jet to take the Co. prez to Peoria on Monday. Since the weather was so crappy the boss drove down. Did you see that I-65 was completely shut down?
If your checks can't travel due to air and surface transportation being shut down WTF?
Are your checks worth loss of life?
In this modern society who waits around for paper money.
Get with the 21st Century and do the online banking thing

Last edited by wildbill59; 01/09/14.

Feel the Bern in your wallet.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Both school and garbage pickup were cancelled here on Monday.
And it had nothing to do with employees, liability, or work ethic.

All of the vehicles they use are diesel and all had gelled fuel problems.

Our mail was delivered on Monday, and the rural carrier had to leave her car and walk around our garbage cans to get to the box. We put them there in the morning and the garbage guy is usually an hour or so ahead of the mail. He normally empties our cans and puts them behind the mailbox.

I appreciate and applaud all who work in weather like this.
I myself didn't make it to work on Monday night due to road difficulties and intermittent power outages.
My road was actually open, but traffic was held due to an accident between here and town that required extraction equipment to remove the driver(mail carrier).

Gun Reader,
You sound like a twit having a snit.

If your business is that dependent on one days mail delivery, you need a new business model.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I have never heard of our Post Office closing for any reason related to weather.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by olehunter
in 20 years+ delivering mail in ne ks. in the city , I only remember 2 days not working because of weather. not from low temp but from snow. once ordered by management and once by snow too deep to get the jeep out of the garage. on that day management said get out there and do what you can . 3feet of snow behind the vehicles , no one got out.

Same here in MO. Only missed a beat once when when the highways were closed and mail not received, yet we still delivered the local mail. Schools and garbage service all shut down a few days this week as well. Still delivered late UPS/FEDEX christmas packages for several days after christmas. Wanna talk about some mad people!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by KFWA
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds

The United States Postal Service has no official creed or motto.

An inscription on the James Farley Post Office in New York City reads:
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

Delivering mail in a city with flat terrain is a bit easier then most places.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Semi rural area here. Roads all plowed, mail delivered just like any other time.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 160user, 222Sako, 60 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,136
Posts18,483,995
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.