Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 39 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 38 39
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Kinda what I figured since Alaskan Snipe are more than twice the size of Texas Snipe. Don't know if a Texas Long Tom will be enough gun.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think I'll just sit around the campfire and drink something.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a few questions.
What are the sleeping arrangements gonna be?
Do you have a bunk house?
Should we bring tents or plan to sleep where we fall?
You have as couple of RV spots but is there other places to park a travel trailer?
How are the skeeters there in April?

----------------------------------------
I'm a big fan of the courtesy flush.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote]Brother Bart: I have a few questions.

What are the sleeping arrangements gonna be?
With whom would you wish to sleep?

Do you have a bunk house?
Yes, kinda - but its full of bunk.

Should we bring tents or plan to sleep where we fall?
Bring tents (how many?), but we'll expect you to just sleep where you fall.

You have as couple of RV spots but is there other places to park a travel trailer?
Yes - other places.

How are the skeeters there in April?
Agile, mobile and hostile. - and BIG.[/quote]

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm bringing a tent. And earplugs. (for shooting and sleeping)

IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by tdd4570

Yeah! Me too!!!!!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm planning on bringing a tent, and skeeter repellent.
"Off deep woods" is successful in the Peruvian rainforest were mosquitoes are the size of adult bats, so it works here too.
It wasn't successful when I was attacked by a swarm of blackwasps, but skeeters, it helped.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I have a few questions.
What are the sleeping arrangements gonna be? You're going to have to sleep alone unless you bring your own date.
I have a 12'x24' shelter I use to store hay in that I figure Gunner will fit in. Everyone else will have to use their own tents.
grin
Do you have a bunk house? Not as such. There is an apartment in the "Barn House" that several folks could sleep in if they like each other and wear ear plugs.
Should we bring tents or plan to sleep where we fall? Both, however, if you're standing on the dock on the lower pond when you fall asleep, you're on your own.
You have as couple of RV spots but is there other places to park a travel trailer? Yes. There is quite a bit of room to park travel trailers and other vehicles. Tents can be pitched inside the fenced yards (about 3/4 acre of available space)if you're afraid of armadillos, racoons, and coyotes. If you're afraid of Gunner or Pat, you're better off pitching your tent inside your trailer.
How are the skeeters there in April? Big and thirsty. Actually, they're not bad, particularly compared to Alaska. Seriously, they are here since we aren't that far from the ponds, but a little bug dope or standing in the campfire smoke seems to keep them at bay.
You could also drink heavily, thereby giving the mosquitoes alcohol poisoning, plus you wouldn't care if you were bitten.
IN ADDITION;
We have a 15'x30' covered pavilion with electrical outlets and lights. I figure most of the cooking will be done there as that's where we keep our double burner propane cooker.
There are three bathrooms here, one in the Barn House, one in the "Little House" where we live, and we have a "Bath House" which is a full bath in it's own building in the middle of the yard.

For those who prefer more creature comforts, there are two hotels in Gilmer;
The Executive Inn & Suites
920 U.S. 271
Gilmer
(903) 843-6099
www.executiveinngilmertx.com

The Gilmer Inn
1018 U.S. 271
Gilmer
(903) 843-3033
www.gilmerinntx.com

We are about twelve miles west of Gilmer, roughly a fifteen-twenty minute drive from these hotels.
I will post the exact address and directions, to everyone who has indicated they are coming, in a group PM as we get closer to the dates.

Gilmer, TX, being the county seat of Upshur County, has a population if just under 5,000 , meaning we have a Walmart and a Brookshires Grocery store, as well as three to five Mexican Grocery stores, depending on the day of the week.
This is a damp county, so you have to drive about fifteen miles south to the bustling metropolis of Big Sandy, TX for adult beverages. If you do go to Big Sandy for adult beverages, save yourself time, money, and aggravation and go to Red's Liquors on US-80. Great selection, great knowledgeable folks working there, and they don't overprice everything.

Stay tuned! I'll post more details as we get closer. I HAVE asked Rick Bin to make this a sticky, but I think he's still on vacation. Maybe if he heard from some more folks, we could get this up front and everyone could stay informed.

I'm looking forward to this!!! grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Shall I run a garden hose to your chair or do you have something a bit more sophisticated in mind? grin

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie

Yeah! Me too!!!!!

Are you two planning on sleeping close together? eek blush grin

Ed

IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Why Ed! I barely know the man!!!! And he, I!

Founder

WS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ed, Looking at pictures of the Gilmer inn on their website and it looks like an old Best Western or Town House. Can you give us a recommendation? miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Why Ed! I barely know the man!!!! And he, I!

Sure... wink. If that's the case, how did you guys know to bring earplugs for sleeping??? confused grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by milespatton
Ed, Looking at pictures of the Gilmer inn on their website and it looks like an old Best Western or Town House. Can you give us a recommendation? miles

You gonna smell curry at either place. grin

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by milespatton

Miles, I haven't stayed at either one and everyone who has visited us has stayed here. I know that both have been remodeled since we moved here in '05 and both seem to have the same number of vehicles parked there, with a slight edge to the Executive Inn & Suites.

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You gonna smell curry at either place.

I hope just at checkin. It is the same in Arkansas and I spent my life in Motels during the work week. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Ed

I was at Quemado a year or so ago.

I was happy I brought earplugs. I believe you were on the other end of the campground and there was serious snoring going on.

Of course, that might have been from some of those Arizona folks.

Last edited by tdd4570; 01/09/14.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ed

I was at Quemado a year or so ago.

I was happy I brought earplugs. I believe you were on the other end of the campground and there was serious snoring going on.

Of course, that might have been from some of those Arizona folks.

There it is! LOL! I can sleep thru all the Hurrah the camp and shennanigans that go on all night. Never bothered me! But snoring is another story! But usually I roll over on my good ear. Can't hear a thing outta my bad ear! LOL!

Founder

WS

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Wtxj

Shall I run a garden hose to your chair or do you have something a bit more sophisticated in mind? grin

Ed

That's while the kids snipe hunt. Your not going to catch this guy running around looking for the fabled snipe.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Executive Inn & Suites is where I have stayed. Was OK, think it's a little more current. Used to go 4x4ing out that way. Must be real close to Ed's house.

I'll be in my tent/cot deal unless my wife decides to go. Then the 5th wheel will have new tires put on, clean it up etc. and bring it out. Lots of work.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 10 of 39 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,263 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,521
Posts18,509,659
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.