I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i'm a taking my tent cot.

LOLing cause I will need to go knock some beach sand out of mine. Hope it hasn't rusted to much.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
I have a few questions.
What are the sleeping arrangements gonna be? You're going to have to sleep alone unless you bring your own date.
I have a 12'x24' shelter I use to store hay in that I figure Gunner will fit in. Everyone else will have to use their own tents.
grin
Do you have a bunk house? Not as such. There is an apartment in the "Barn House" that several folks could sleep in if they like each other and wear ear plugs.
Should we bring tents or plan to sleep where we fall? Both, however, if you're standing on the dock on the lower pond when you fall asleep, you're on your own.
You have as couple of RV spots but is there other places to park a travel trailer? Yes. There is quite a bit of room to park travel trailers and other vehicles. Tents can be pitched inside the fenced yards (about 3/4 acre of available space)if you're afraid of armadillos, racoons, and coyotes. If you're afraid of Gunner or Pat, you're better off pitching your tent inside your trailer.
How are the skeeters there in April? Big and thirsty. Actually, they're not bad, particularly compared to Alaska. Seriously, they are here since we aren't that far from the ponds, but a little bug dope or standing in the campfire smoke seems to keep them at bay.
You could also drink heavily, thereby giving the mosquitoes alcohol poisoning, plus you wouldn't care if you were bitten.
IN ADDITION;
We have a 15'x30' covered pavilion with electrical outlets and lights. I figure most of the cooking will be done there as that's where we keep our double burner propane cooker.
There are three bathrooms here, one in the Barn House, one in the "Little House" where we live, and we have a "Bath House" which is a full bath in it's own building in the middle of the yard.

For those who prefer more creature comforts, there are two hotels in Gilmer;
The Executive Inn & Suites
920 U.S. 271
Gilmer
(903) 843-6099
www.executiveinngilmertx.com

The Gilmer Inn
1018 U.S. 271
Gilmer
(903) 843-3033
www.gilmerinntx.com

We are about twelve miles west of Gilmer, roughly a fifteen-twenty minute drive from these hotels.
I will post the exact address and directions, to everyone who has indicated they are coming, in a group PM as we get closer to the dates.

Gilmer, TX, being the county seat of Upshur County, has a population if just under 5,000 , meaning we have a Walmart and a Brookshires Grocery store, as well as three to five Mexican Grocery stores, depending on the day of the week.
This is a damp county, so you have to drive about fifteen miles south to the bustling metropolis of Big Sandy, TX for adult beverages. If you do go to Big Sandy for adult beverages, save yourself time, money, and aggravation and go to Red's Liquors on US-80. Great selection, great knowledgeable folks working there, and they don't overprice everything.

Stay tuned! I'll post more details as we get closer. I HAVE asked Rick Bin to make this a sticky, but I think he's still on vacation. Maybe if he heard from some more folks, we could get this up front and everyone could stay informed.

I'm looking forward to this!!! grin

Ed

So you want us to go tag onto your thread way down at the bottom in system ask Ric a question area. Don't remember the real name of that area.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tdd4570
Ed

I was at Quemado a year or so ago.

I was happy I brought earplugs. I believe you were on the other end of the campground and there was serious snoring going on.

Of course, that might have been from some of those Arizona folks.

I remember where you were camped at, now. You were amongst the AZ crowd.
Miles and I had parked our trucks at the far end and thus missed the sinus serenade. grin

I'm with you guys, I can't sleep with someone else snoring within earshot. My snoring, on the other hand, doesn't seem to bother me. laugh

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Talk to webmaster--------------

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Think I'll just sit around the campfire and drink something.

Shall I run a garden hose to your chair or do you have something a bit more sophisticated in mind? grinEd

That's while the kids snipe hunt. Your not going to catch this guy running around looking for the fabled snipe.

They are not fabled. In fact, I'm pretty sure one ran past the front yard gate last night. Left tracks the size of T-Rex. eek

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Talk to webmaster--------------

That's it! Thanks.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think I'll just sit around the campfire and drink something.

Shall I run a garden hose to your chair or do you have something a bit more sophisticated in mind? grinEd

That's while the kids snipe hunt. Your not going to catch this guy running around looking for the fabled snipe.

They are not fabled. In fact, I'm pretty sure one ran past the front yard gate last night. Left tracks the size of T-Rex. eek

Ed

Sounds like bigfoot to me.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Bigfoot, Snipe, Yeti, T-Rex, Chupacabra, Unicorns...allie, allie, same, same. Different calibers required, but same rules of engagement apply.

No closed season, no limit, but you are required to notify TX Parks & Wildlife upon taking one.
Oh, I almost forgot, you have to leave proof of sex on the carcass, too. grin

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 01/09/14.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Speaking of surf fishing and Campfire get togethers. anybody know how we can reach Mako25, Jeff?

Ed

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Speaking of surf fishing and Campfire get togethers. anybody know how we can reach Mako25, Jeff?

Ed

Not me.
Last on line was April 24th, 2013.
Hope nothing major has happened to him. Nice guy

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
he's fine, just decided to spend his time other ways besides online.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
he's fine, just decided to spend his time other ways besides online.

Well good then, tell him hi from the coast guys.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I called and left him a voicemail message. I'm trying to get him to come to the Gathering, too.

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I called and left him a voicemail message. I'm trying to get him to come to the Gathering, too.

Ed

Great
Glad RH was able to get you his phone number.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
UP ^

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Any suggestions for menu items? We should keep it fairly simple. I think.
I know from experience that the coffee pot(s) should be the first priority every morning and the rest is mere details. grin

Any food allergies? Any "must haves"?

All ideas and suggestions welcome!

Ed

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'll get some stuff from the shrimp pimp.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'll grill 'em! smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I can sleep most anywhere outside, but I'm guessing the 'skeeters are already in full effect around there by April.

We'll prob'ly use a regular screened-in tent this time around rather than a canvas lean-to.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Page 11 of 39 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

619 members (160user, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 06hunter59, 59 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,522
Posts18,509,699
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.