Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Just looked in 3 different cities and found zero 22lr ammo. Ask one guy and he said he used to get about 60 cases per year, last year he got 16. This was after a rep told him that he was getting the same amount of ammo as he always had and that people are just hoarding. What a bunch of Bull - this is just .22 ammo, what gives?

Last edited by centershot; 01/09/14.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Stupid [bleep]'s buy it for 2x the price it's supposed to be. So greedy classless [bleep] get it all bought up and scalp other with the price

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
You can find all you want to buy on Gunbrokers

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
....... Yeah, at the "bargin" (asking) price of $100 +/- for a 500 round bulk pack that was $20 a year ago. It's cheaper to shoot/reload centerfire. -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Ammo is out there just look for it. Just last week I purchased three bricks of Wolf Target from Champions. But the prices you remember seeing on the shelf in years past are history.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I remember buy wolf target for $20/500 , but the first ammo scare ruined that along with when the "secret" got out how good the cheap wolf .22 ammo was . Snowwolf my point precicsely!!

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
there's one thing the people buying up all the .22 ammo aren't doing, and that is shooting it. thats for GD sure

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
This shortage is being caused by the ammo companies I believe. When places like Midway, walmart, cabelas, etc. can not get ammo something fishy is going on. I have been told companies have a higher profit margin on centerfire ammo, 17 HMR, 22 mag, etc and are making more of that since people are still going to buy something.

I usually buy 3-4 cases of rimfire a year and have not bought but a 1K since the panic. I know guys that bought 5-10 cases a year that also have not bought any. Think of all the thousands of other benchrest shooters that bought cases upon cases of ammo every year that have bought nothing in the last 14 months. That's a lot of ammo to be sold 1 to 3 boxes at a time.

I called a place yesterday that sold American eagle for $169 a case. It then went to $229 case and now it's going to $290 a case. They did let me order the old price of $229 a case so I ordered a few cases. They told me 4-12 month expected delivery time.

I don't believe they are making as much rimfire ammo as they have in years past.

Dink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its all profiteering bull chitt! Find a commodity in demand, create a shortage, raise the prices, lock it in--then blame some body else. Pretty much explains how are government is operated also. Talked to CCI last week--CS said they were producing 3 million .22 rds A DAY x 7 days a week. Do the math--Home Land Security ain't buying all this, no matter what you might think. If Wal-Mart Cabelas, etc. can get in 2 cases a day per store--they can get in 20 cases just as easy. All you dummies that are paying $6.00 a box for American Eagle, probably believe that the liberal media tells you nothing but the truth--geez!
G

"If you don't stand up for what you believe,,you stand for nothing"
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
there isn't any conspiracy, it's just the same combination of scalpers and hoarders. ammo manufacturers are attempting to keep up with demand, but the "demand" results from profit motive and hoarding motive, not from actual volume of rimfire shooting. which doesn't really bother me much, it has just made rimfire shooting more difficult and expensive in the short term.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
there isn't any conspiracy, it's just the same combination of scalpers and hoarders. ammo manufacturers are attempting to keep up with demand, but the "demand" results from profit motive and hoarding motive, not from actual volume of rimfire shooting. which doesn't really bother me much, it has just made rimfire shooting more difficult and expensive in the short term.

I just don't buy it's the hoarders. The reason being I don't know of anyone that can say they have stocked up 25k rounds since the panic. Everyone I know has bought none or very little since the panic. They would all like to buy a lot but it's not there to be bought.

If CCI is making three million rounds a day that's a billion rounds a year from one company. Then we have Remington, federal, Eley, laupua, etc. With the limits in place it just doesn't add up.

Dink

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by DINK
I just don't buy it's the hoarders.

I do. hoarders plus scalpers. ppl who used to buy a brick or two now buy a case or two bc they are panicked. look at any one of the 1,000,000,000 threads on the internets right now where ppl are talking about how they finally have 10,000 mini mags in their closet and they hope it'll be enough for a little while.

coterminously, you have groups of buzzards that are circling the local wal-marts, etc., to buy all the supply up as soon as it hits the shelf. its the same thing as if you had enough ppl going to the gas stations in town and filling up cans until it was all gone as soon as the truck had come and pumped it in.

the manufacturers have zero incentive to be going anything less than full-bore on the production scale. they are selling 100% of the product produced. thus, more product produced, more profit.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I agree scalpers and the people dumb enough to pay their prices. If they can keep selling it at twice what they paid for it, what incentive is there for them to stop buying it all up?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I hate to say it but it's like gas, when they found out you will pay for it why change, I doubt that 22 will come down to the good ole days, and we did this to ourselfs, just my 2 cents.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by ldholton
Stupid [bleep]'s buy it for 2x the price it's supposed to be. So greedy classless [bleep] get it all bought up and scalp other with the price

Yes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ldholton

+1

Prices in stores here are still normal (when there's anything on the shelves) . Too bad all I can find is hollow points.

[Linked Image]

http://pin.it/_WJQ2xO

and FREE EYEBALL!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by n8dawg6
Originally Posted by DINK
I just don't buy it's the hoarders.

coterminously, you have groups of buzzards that are circling the local wal-marts, etc., to buy all the supply up as soon as it hits the shelf. its the same thing as if you had enough ppl going to the gas stations in town and filling up cans until it was all gone as soon as the truck had come and pumped it in.

the manufacturers have zero incentive to be going anything less than full-bore on the production scale. they are selling 100% of the product produced. thus, more product produced, more profit.
There is a lardass fireman and his cronies (mother in law, retarded nephew, ssi sucking trailer park neighbors) that all hover over the counter at 5am. I gave up trying to score some that way. They are there every random time I pop in at 7am. By then, all of them have red swollen ankles from their flaring diubeetus. So they must be there EVERYTIME wind gets out that a delivery is loaded with 22ammo.

whatever, I hope he goes flat ass broke trying to hoard all that crap

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Hell I'd love to be a hoarder - last time I found any ammo was at Walmart, they would only allow 3) 100 packs of CCI mini-mags per person. So, I bought my 3 packs and have been very careful about shooting them up. If I could have bought 10 I sure as heck would have. I never considered keeping 10,000 rounds in my house before this all happened, but now - when I can I'm going to stockpile. All I need is 1,000 rounds a year, but I sure would like to have a couple years cushion.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by centershot
but now - when I can I'm going to stockpile. All I need is 1,000 rounds a year, but I sure would like to have a couple years cushion.

I'm tellin ya ... this mentality is part of why there is a shortage.

not criticizing either, I don't blame you or anyone else for how they spend their money. but when people ask "why can't i find any .22's?", this is one of the big reasons why.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nationwide, the number of gun owners has more than quadrupled since Obama was elected. almost all of them buy at least one .22, and being new shooters are quite eager to shoot.

I know of at least 2 guys who never had any interest or inclination to shoot that are now convinced that a zombie hoard is imminent.
One, a nephew, now owns more guns than I do and has become a bit of a fanatic.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 19rabbit52, 58 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,866
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.