Print Thread
Hop To
R
robes Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Is there an easy way to measure for LOP?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Easy Method:

Gasp rifle/shotgun in trigger hand, hand resting where it does when you would be ready to fire. Hold barrel vertically, muzzle up.

Extend arm out to your side and bend elbow at 90�, palm facing your ear.

Butt of rifle/shotgun should just touch your bicep in the case of a shotgun and I prefer 1/4" to 3/8" off for rifles.

It is smart to do this in the clothes you would wear to hunt. Should you hunt bundled up for cold, a slightly shorter length of pull is desiable to compensate for a coat. Conversely, if you are hunting in warm weather and short sleeves, you may want it full touch on your arm.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sorry, that is as close to useless a method as any perpetuated... That comes up with a 16+" LOP for my arm and I have seen arms even farther off.

Arm length has absolutely nothing to do with how a stock fits. That hinge called an elbow allows the arm to adjust to any reasonable length. The number happens to be close to averages, but it is far from functional as a true measure of stock length.

Far better is to mount the gun naturally with eyes closed and have someone measure from your thumb to your nose. The grip may change where exactly your thumb goes, but about 1 1/2" is in the right area. That would be from nose to knuckle.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Shotgun and rifle knuckle/nose rule the same?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Shotguns should run a bit longer... Because the grips vary far more there it takes a reasoned (seasoned?) eye to see where the thumb should be. But about 2" is reasonable for pistol-grip stocked shotguns.

Fudge long on shotguns, short on rifles.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yes, the rule of thumb is trigger to butte plate on a firearm or hooked trigger finger to crook of arm on a shooter.

When it comes to function though there are several other measures (cast off and pitch) that should be considered too.

If one is truly fitting a firearm, then he should visit a good stockmaker while wearing his hunting duds and that means more $$$. Unless we are building stocks, most of us just make do and either chop or add recoil pads.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/14.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You must have arms like a [bleep]! wink

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Shotguns should run a bit longer... Because the grips vary far more there it takes a reasoned (seasoned?) eye to see where the thumb should be. But about 2" is reasonable for pistol-grip stocked shotguns.

Fudge long on shotguns, short on rifles.

Agree 100%

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hatari
You must have arms like a [bleep]! wink

6'4" with a wingspan just under 7'... and narrow shoulders... Like the English Major said, you do the math! wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Yes, the rule of thumb is trigger to butte plate or hooked trigger finger to crook of arm.

When it comes to function though there are several other measures that should be considered too.

If one is truly fitting a firearm, then he should visit a good stockmaker while wearing his hunting duds and that means more $$$. Unless we are building stocks, most of us just make do and either chop or add recoil pads.

I disagree totally with the notion there is any value in the number derived by using the "Rule" and true stockfitters do not even bother with it.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Easy Method:

Gasp rifle/shotgun in trigger hand, hand resting where it does when you would be ready to fire. Hold barrel vertically, muzzle up.

Extend arm out to your side and bend elbow at 90�, palm facing your ear.

Butt of rifle/shotgun should just touch your bicep in the case of a shotgun and I prefer 1/4" to 3/8" off for rifles.

It is smart to do this in the clothes you would wear to hunt. Should you hunt bundled up for cold, a slightly shorter length of pull is desiable to compensate for a coat. Conversely, if you are hunting in warm weather and short sleeves, you may want it full touch on your arm.

That is a myth that needs to die.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sitka:
The value (trigger to butt plate) is that it conveys one of the dimensions of a firearm to a potential buyer. Wesbrook (page 87) suggests the arm measure is a good "approximation" for fitting but not the end all. I'd agree, however, that there's no single firearm dimension that is going to universally translate to proper fit.

Much like fish, I'm impressed by 36" steelhead. That length though does not accurately convey weight, and that's what European sport fishermen are more interestd in because they often sell their catch.

Last edited by 1minute; 01/11/14.

1Minute
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am defeated. My method will not work on a pteradactyl. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1minute
Sitka:
The value (trigger to butt plate) is that it conveys one of the dimensions of a firearm to a potential buyer. Wesbrook (page 87) suggests the arm measure is a good "approximation" for fitting but not the end all. I'd agree, however, that there's no single firearm dimension that is going to universally translate to proper fit.

Much like fish, I'm impressed by 36" steelhead. That length though does not accurately convey weight, and that's what European sport fishermen are more interestd in because they often sell their catch.

But 36" is a real measure that actually means something and coupled with the girth a valid weight could be estimated that would be close enough for most anyone... Knowing forearm length provides nothing more than static and NO valid measure can or is based on it.

It is without use or function as a measure and perpetuating it does many a disservice.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I am defeated. My method will not work on a pteradactyl. grin

[Linked Image]

No argument there.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (3333vl, 7887mm08, AnthonyB, 35, anothergun, Angus1895, 17 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,007 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,779
Posts18,536,034
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.