Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by battue
These days I tend to be slower in blaming the other person in what I thought I heard.

Out with a female friend for breakfast and she ordered "Oatmeal Slush." WTH!!!! When the waitress left I asked what is oatmeal slush? She laughed and said Nooooo. Oatmeal Deluxe, you know with raisins, banana and cinnamon?

Then one time her phone rang and after a short conversion she said, "That was Yanoto." "Who is Yanoto?" " The ex." "Your were also married to a Japanase fellow?"

Another laugh and she slowly said. " That was you know who." smile

Kinda like the feller who likes Iron Butterfly's "InaGlobofVelveeta". Or Creedence Clearwater's "There's a bathroom on the right". grin

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No question that oddballs can be found on both sides of the gun shop counter.

But I can abide them more easily when they're not behind it, because there's no reason to rely on them for anything more useful than some brief entertainment.

Most of the local gun shop owners where I grew up were a bit eccentric. Two could be downright unpleasant when dealing with persistant dimwits. But it was always a good time when I stopped by, even if I happened to be the focus of their wit and wisdom on that visit. Just part of the curmudgeon experience.

All but one are gone now and I don't expect anyone to come along to replace them.

At least they all knew WTH they spoke of and aside from the normal guff handed out to regulars, they were all a joy to spend time with.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have enjoyed reading these comments from both sides of the counter in the LGS. Most of my time in gun shops has been as a customer, but I do have some behind the counter time from years ago when my brother had a gun shop and I helped him out. I have an attitude I reserve for dealing with people in the LGS.

I had a Dad that had no interest in firearms at all, so I got little direction at home or from family concerning firearms. I was very fortunate though, to have a couple of really small gun shops in the area, owned by old guys that loved to get young guys hooked on shooting. They would spend their time showing and explaining different firearms to young guys knowing that we didn't have the money and couldn't buy the guns if we did. These guys loved talking and sharing their knowledge. They spent time with me and were patient while answering a thousand questions. I found that I could learn much more by listening than I could by talking and that the right question would really get them going. In no time I was holding the "76" Winchester, having its action explained and demonstrated.

I figure when I get some guy behind the counter that has his facts a little confused or is too enthusiastic about the latest polymer 9mm pistol, that it is payback for all the time those old guys spent with a young man 50 years ago that was full of questions and had pockets that were empty. I think about Mr. Clyde Curry and Mr. Roy Smith and I cut him some slack.

Harry
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The closest LGS where I grew up was owned by a fellow who must have been in his late 30s when I was a teen. He also sold scuba gear. He was very knowledgeable and tended to have a lot of custom rifles in his inventory, something that was relatively rare in those days. I spent a lot of time there, but never actually bought anything except a little ammo and maybe some cleaning supplies.

He was well-known in the shooting fraternity in the Houston area in those days, and his major claim to fame was that he did not negotiate. When he put something on the rack, new or used, the price on the tag was the price that it sold for--period. He had a very nice semi-custom Mexican Mauser that I lusted for, but the price was way too much for a teenager who was supporting a car and a girl friend. I mentioned this to the manager at one of the downtown shops one time. He just laughed and said, "If he doesn't get his price, Ken will still have that damned gun until he retires or dies."

Probably 30 years later, while visiting my mother, I was driving by the shop and stopped and went in just to see what, if anything, had changed. Ken was still behind the counter, white-haired and wizened, the scuba gear was dusty and cobwebbed, and that Mexican Mauser was still on the rack--with the same faded price tag!

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I've really enjoyed reading this thread! My LGS situation is frustrating. At one of them, the owner acts like you are bothering him if you go in. At the other, the guy behind the counter constantly acts like he is the world's foremost expert, regardless of the topic at hand. I know enough to know that I may not be the most knowledgeable guy in the shop, but I also know enough that I can't stand the general air of condescension. Maybe his attitude developed from listening to geniuses on this side of the counter, but all the guys I know who know anything about guns and shooting hate going in there. I occasionally buy reloading supplies, cleaning supplies or other items, but have bought zero guns from the first guy and only one from the second. I have made most of my recent gun purchases from a LGS that is more than an hour from home. It is worth the drive to deal with someone who knows what he is talking about and who understands that many of his customers have some knowledge and experience. He usually has the best prices too, but if he didn't it would be worth paying a little extra to know a place like that could stay in business.

I often overhear conversations around gun counters that make me shake my head. One of the funniest recently happened in the local Wal-Mart. I don't remember what I was in there for but a couple of young guys were talking about ammo for deer hunting. One was explaining to the other that the .30/06 was good for deer but only if you use 150 grain bullets. He went on and on, but before I go out of ear-shot I had been educated that 180 grain bullets out of an '06 would practically blow up a deer. smile

Last edited by WITUfan; 01/12/14.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I was in a shop a couple of days ago and two security guards were talking to each other loudly about shooting people on duty and getting shot themselves but body armor saved them. Not knocking the security guard profession, but they sounded like more like 11Bs or vice cops. Owner and employees were smirking and shaking their heads.

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Was in the store the other day, picking up a 98 Mauser action their gunsmiths had welded a new bolt handle on. Walked by the consignment long-gun rack on the way to the cash register and noticed a slim, foreign looking side-by-side shotgun. Put down the action and picked up the shotgun. It looked Germanic, but didn't have any markings on the barrels.

The price was interesting--if the gun was in overall good shape. I'm a regular customer there, so didn't feel shy about taking off the forend and shaking the gun to see if the action was tight. It wasn't, rattling a little, but wasn't super-loose either. Took the barrels off the action and they rung like a gong, indicating the solder between 'em was still good.

Had just gotten the gun back together when a new clerk who I'd never dealt with before (they've gone through a few lately) walked up and said, "That's a nice tight gun," in a little too hearty a voice.

He appeared to be in his late 60's, old enough to know better, but maybe he'd never had the gun apart. I said, "It's a nice LIGHT gun," then put it back in the rack and picked up my action.

"Looks like a nice Swedish 96," he said.

"It's a 98," I said.

"Oh, a small-ring 98," he nodded, smiling.

"No," I said, holding it up a little higher. "It's a large ring."

"Oh, yeah, it is. What're you gonna make it into?"

I smiled. "Dunno yet."

"I just had one made into a .30-.308. A very nice round, doesn't kick much at all."

By that time I didn't even ask what the hell a .30-308 was, so mumbled, "Sounds interesting," and headed toward the cash register.

I am not surprised John. When recently purchasing a Mark V at Cabela's I got my dose from one of the experts can't help themselves.

I was conducting what I thought to be routine commerce when a mobile doughnut conservation/storage unit approached, to tell me what an excellent purchase I made with an action perfectly designed for the .338 I bought.

When I told him it was a .460 Action with a blocked off magazine, he told me I was wrong, "the .460 requires a specially designed version of the Mark V that is considerable larger". I smiled and left.

JW

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by mudhen
The closest LGS where I grew up was owned by a fellow who must have been in his late 30s when I was a teen. He also sold scuba gear. He was very knowledgeable and tended to have a lot of custom rifles in his inventory, something that was relatively rare in those days. I spent a lot of time there, but never actually bought anything except a little ammo and maybe some cleaning supplies.

He was well-known in the shooting fraternity in the Houston area in those days, and his major claim to fame was that he did not negotiate. When he put something on the rack, new or used, the price on the tag was the price that it sold for--period. He had a very nice semi-custom Mexican Mauser that I lusted for, but the price was way too much for a teenager who was supporting a car and a girl friend. I mentioned this to the manager at one of the downtown shops one time. He just laughed and said, "If he doesn't get his price, Ken will still have that damned gun until he retires or dies."

Probably 30 years later, while visiting my mother, I was driving by the shop and stopped and went in just to see what, if anything, had changed. Ken was still behind the counter, white-haired and wizened, the scuba gear was dusty and cobwebbed, and that Mexican Mauser was still on the rack--with the same faded price tag!

On GunBroker, there is a Colt Light Rifle (Dukes Guns in PA) for $975. It has been on Gun Broker since at least 2009; I ran into Duke at the 2011 NRA Annual in Pittsburgh and asked why it is so high - got no answer. It's still there. I've bought 2 Colt Light Rifles for a lot less ($375 in 2007 and $450 in 2009) and both ere NIB. I guess Duke just wants to hang onto the rifle until hell freezes over.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Dukes on Rt 422 outside of New Castle?

Addition: Just checked GunBroker and it is him. He has made a good living not selling low. You want it let me know. My best hunting Bud lives right down the road and knows him well. Perhaps he can work something out.

Last edited by battue; 01/12/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
People with good gun knowledge do not always have the business acumen to run a successful store. And vice versa. I do complain about goofy comments from the gun shop employees (and owners) but I tip my hat to anyone making a go of it in today's market. That includes Duke.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thing with Duke's, is that he usually has what you want in stock. A busy little store. He has apparently done well.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by battue
Dukes on Rt 422 outside of New Castle?

Addition: Just checked GunBroker and it is him. He has made a good living not selling low. You want it let me know. My best hunting Bud lives right down the road and knows him well. Perhaps he can work something out.

OK.

A fire member who is looking out for my best interests PM'd me and indicated that this possibly could be interrupted as an offer for a shill purchase. While I can see his point, my original intention was to have my Bud see if Duke is willing to sell the firearm for the price they are currently going for, which is considerably less than his GunBroker minimum.

If so, I would have let the fire member and Dukes handle the transaction between each other.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I love this thread. Having been in the gun business for 50 plus years, both retail and wholesale, I can simpathies with both sides. Not saying I've heard it all, but after all those years I just put on my chest waders before going to work.

Dennis

Dennis

Lets start over and talk about something you know about, like Mexican food.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A few years ago I was in the market for a Browning Short-Trac in 300WSM. The LGS had one in the rack, so I was going to spend my Christmas bonus on it.

There was a new guy behind the counter that I had never seen before. I asked him if I could look at it. He said, "you don't want that, it's a 300WSM. Browning discontinued making rifles in that caliber years ago. You can't even buy ammo for it anymore."

I said "OK" and headed for the door where I bumped into the owner. He asked if I found what I needed etc. I told him, "no, you have an idiot behind the counter that I refuse to deal with", and I walked out.

That afternoon he called me and asked if I was still interested in the rifle and he would take care of me personally . Told him "Too Late, found one at GM". Never saw that idiot there again.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a son that graduated from Trinidad State with a degree in gun smithing about a year and a half ago. He is working at a LGS as a gunsmith and sales person. He has been interested in firearms all his life and seems to love his work. He knows a great deal about the new firearms, but when it comes to the old stuff, that interests me, he comes up short. He just hasn't seen it or been exposed to it yet, but he is learning.

I have had a few of my friends come to me and say that he worked with them on a problem or a purchase. I have to admit that the first thing I thought of was the kind of counter person that has been mentioned here and that they were going to complain about him or some comment he made. I couldn't have been more wrong. They all have complimented him on the handling of the problem and the kind of service he provided behind the counter.

I got to meet some of his class mates at Trinidad State while he was in school and they were great guys. Talented and knowledgeable about firearms and they knew enough to realize how much they didn't yet know. It makes me feel good to know that there are young people that are interested in learning the business and there are good schools that can teach them. They are willing to ask questions and listen to answers. They also have the knowledge to spot a BS artist when he shows up and the self control to let him go unharmed.

Harry
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
One of the most interesting aspects of firearms is there's ALWAYS something to be learned!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Having live some 71 years so far, it's been my observation that people in general think they know and often pretend to know more about topics than they really do. Not so bad if it's only a gun store clerk, but really bad if it's your doctor.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is true. I have found that I have had to unlearn some facts that I knew to be true too. An old guy once told me that silence was not necessarily an indication of a lack of knowledge, but that it can also be an indication of patience in the presence of a lack of knowledge. smile

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
One of the most interesting aspects of firearms is there's ALWAYS something to be learned!

ild save a hell of alot of money on books if the opposite were true crazy a book on British shotguns and rifles from 1860-1900 just showed up today laugh

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you really don,t need a cannon, I really think many guys behind the counter at BASS PRO HAVE NEVER HUNTED

I was recently at a local bass pro shops just to browse, the new hand gun selections and be shocked at the prices, , while Im standing there,amazed at the higher prices, a guy comes to the counter and says to the sales guy that he wants to purchase a powerful handgun to hunt hogs with, as on his first hog hunt he used a borrowed 45acp commander pistol and was less than impressed, with it , as it took him 4 shots to kill a 220 lb hog, the clerk without asking a single question about the range the hog was shot at, where the bullets hit, or any other info, reaches for a 500 S&W that costs $1475,
the guy looking to buy the hog handgun says , that is a lot more expensive than he had hoped to pay and far too large to holster comfortably, but asked about the ammo cost, the clerk, just reaches for a taurus, revolver
again the guy asked about ammo cost and availability and he was again ignored, I started asking the guy about his hunt, where he hit the hog , how far away, it was, the ammo he used etc, trying to get some idea as to the conditions under which he had shot the hog, I found that as usual the shot placement was not ideal (IT RARELY IS ON MOVING TARGETS FIRED AT BY EXCITED FIRST TIME HUNTERS) and ranges were well under 20 yards,
I suggested the guy purchase a 6.5"----8 3/8" 44mag S&W revolver that was listed as $749-$800 on the display, as it was one of the few stainless 44 mag double action revolvers in 44 mag on display for under $1000 and buy some double tap 300 grain ammo,, or damn near any commercial full power loads, with a 240grain or heavier bullet, or better yet learn to hand load his own ammo, and assured him that if he placed his shots carefully that a 44 mag loaded correctly would be fully adequate on any hogs as ID shot well over a dozen or more, in the last few years alone, with a similar combo and most required only one hit
it was rather obvious that the clerk was not happy with my advice as he acted like he worked on commission and he could care less what worked as long as it was expensive, he kept muttering something about the 454 cassul and 500 S&W would be better for hunting grizzles in Alaska...
I assure the guy that the 44 mag was 100% capable of shooting clear thru hogs and dropping them very effectively with the ammo suggested , then I walked away, I don,t know if he purchased the 44 mag but in my opinion it was a far better choice for the application
why does the 44 and 41 mag now get little respect

thats the second time Ive had the clerks who don,t seem, to have much experience, push the more expensive guns as options, vs the the best values , or reasonable choices get pissed off at my advice.

Last edited by 340mag; 01/13/14.
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 66 invisible), 2,456 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.