Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by lubbockdave
HAs kimber rifles lost favor on the fire? Not too long ago there were lots of fans...
Lost favor? while Kimber does have some very vocal fans on the fire many more (including Me) have had bad experiences with Kimber rifles and were never fans, I think the vast majority here see Kimber rifles as over priced for the iffy you might get a good one or maybe not quality.......They don't call buying a new Kimber rifle playing Kimber roulette for nothing....................Good luck................Hb

HR IC

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
I like the design. My 7mm-08 will have to get a new barrel before it gets shot again, however - I'm not wasting any more time with it. From what I've gathered the 7mm-08's had a run a of bad barrels - which is something inexcusable in a $1000+ rifle, IMO.

This would explain My buddies experience with a new Montana in 7mm.08, that thing wouldn't shoot for chit so he sent it back, after 3 months he got his rifle back and it still wouldn't shoot but also wouldn't feed reliably so he traded it a gun show.....................Hb

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My Kimber accuracy thoughts from another thread...

It's important to know a rifle as light as the Kimber MT is finicky when it comes to loads. Not only does it require nearly perfect bench technique, but its light barrel (and light overall weight) preclude it from shooting everything with boring regularity.

Since 2004 I've loaded and shot for 13 Montana's (have owned 14)... every one would shoot sub moa with something, but if you're determined/set on one bullet weight or particular bullet or powder, you'll likely be disappointed.

BUT, if you're more flexible and are willing to experiment (fore-going a lot of per-determined expectations/conditions), you'll find something that will shoot in the 3/4" range (or less)... if you can shoot.

The light Kimber MT will humble one at the bench...

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The one's I have had have mostly shot well with "something". I don't know if the technique for shooting them is very mysterious.

I found that if I got loosey goosey grip with a Montana 257 Roberts at the bench, or didn't put something soft under the front of the receiver,it did not shoot as well... Just got a firm grip and follow through...it shot fine.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by JMR40

Some people just don't have the skills to shoot a light rifle.

There is one man in this thread in possession of plaque, bearing his name, that says, SOTIC Distinguished Honor Graduate, and it ain't you..... I'll let you guess his handle.

If that is true, I will be the first to congratulate that person. However, they didn't teach him how to shoot very light hunting rifles. That person knows how to shoot so adapting to a Montana should be easy breezy....

But I will say this, if you go all your life and shoot 8lb hunting rifles, then one day you own a Montana I will bet most people will have to modify their shooting technique. Have seen it, done it and won't be sold otherwise.

I don't want to insult good older aged folks on here however, some old folks have issues changing their underwear regularly so I can imagine the strain it would cause you to make a change in shooting technique....

As with any/every rifle I own including my Montana in 7-08 I have..

Bedded it
Adjusted the trigger (Kimber offers one of the best factory triggers...period)
Polished the rails
With my Montana I had Big Stick help out with a couple of other mods I chose to make....making the rifle better! (a very willing fellow BTW).

I'm not going to say you can't get a lemon. but I can also buy a lemon from Winny, Remmie, yada, yada...

Unless you order up a custom to your specs, ALL factory rigs are made for tweaking by those who are inclined. No factory can simply bang out thousands of units and simply expect all shooters to fall in line... And when your tweaks are done right (emphasis on done RIGHT), performance of the rifle will enhanced and then the only limiting factor is YOU and if you load, YOUR ability to cook up some good, straight loads for it.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Love my 84M in 7-08. In fact it still has the 2 position safety. Got it in AK for $675 and no tax. Has a Leupold 3.5-10 on it.

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Man that's a crazy good price. When did they stop making the two position safety? Does that safety lock your bolt?

I will say I really like the 3 pos safety with the ADL stock. Much safer to take out the cartridges.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've two and am quite fond of them.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Although I have some experience with wood stocked 84's, most of my experience comes from dealing with Montana's.

The four biggest culprits I've witnessed on multiple Montana's:

1. The mag box binds the action. The box is a tad long. When the screws are torqued, the action bottoms out on the mag box instead of the bedding. That causes the action to flex and move around in the stock....which brings up #2.

2. The action flexes upon recoil. The actions are small and there is very little metal in the rails under the action. The lack of tight bedding aides this...which brings up #3.

3. The slave bedding sucks, especially in the lug area. There is way too much space there. Every Montana I've handled needs some bedding in the lug. By allowing the lug to move, this prohibits consistency.

4. The front action screw bottoms out. Combine this with everything above and you have a real cluster.

Take a Dremel to the protrusions on the mag box and the front screw, bed the lug tight and you're going to improve things immensely. Adjust the trigger to perfect and make sure your front ring screw isn't contacting the threads....then find "the" load.

It's pretty simple stuff really. When you get one right, it's hard to leave it in the safe very long....

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CLB
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by JMR40

Some people just don't have the skills to shoot a light rifle.

There is one man in this thread in possession of plaque, bearing his name, that says, SOTIC Distinguished Honor Graduate, and it ain't you..... I'll let you guess his handle.

If that is true, I will be the first to congratulate that person. However, they didn't teach him how to shoot very light hunting rifles. That person knows how to shoot so adapting to a Montana should be easy breezy....

But I will say this, if you go all your life and shoot 8lb hunting rifles, then one day you own a Montana I will bet most people will have to modify their shooting technique. Have seen it, done it and won't be sold otherwise.

Bone support, muscular relaxation, natural point-of-aim. I get paid to teach that [bleep] to people. I have a Steyr Scout(under 7#) that'll shoot bugholes off its integral bipod. I can put three into an inch, prone with a Ching Sling. It ain't me. A rifle is a damn rifle, a light one is less forgiving of form/positioning etc, but it is still a damn rifle, and the position fundamentals above and the steady hold factors apply the same.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
Although I have some experience with wood stocked 84's, most of my experience comes from dealing with Montana's.

The four biggest culprits I've witnessed on multiple Montana's:

1. The mag box binds the action. The box is a tad long. When the screws are torqued, the action bottoms out on the mag box instead of the bedding. That causes the action to flex and move around in the stock....which brings up #2.

2. The action flexes upon recoil. The actions are small and there is very little metal in the rails under the action. The lack of tight bedding aides this...which brings up #3.

3. The slave bedding sucks, especially in the lug area. There is way too much space there. Every Montana I've handled needs some bedding in the lug. By allowing the lug to move, this prohibits consistency.

4. The front action screw bottoms out. Combine this with everything above and you have a real cluster.

Take a Dremel to the protrusions on the mag box and the front screw, bed the lug tight and you're going to improve things immensely. Adjust the trigger to perfect and make sure your front ring screw isn't contacting the threads....then find "the" load.

It's pretty simple stuff really. When you get one right, it's hard to leave it in the safe very long....

Yep, if'n you know what to look for, it sounds pretty simple, all that plus a recrown. What is truly sad is, when you mail the POS back to Kimber, with all that [bleep] wrong with the rifle, they box it right up and mail it back to you.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thanks, will be several months before I will be able. Friend has to buy a gun from me first.

Roll Tide Roll, now lets go hunting!!!
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Very nice write up.

What get's me is the anti Kimber guys will do most of what you stated to other rifles and not complain. But when you do the extra work to a Kimber, it's a POS!

Maybe not everything is spot on every time...but simple to tweak. After all, it is still a factory rig.

The platform is simply to good to not own and make a few tweaks....

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
TAK, honest question for you. Are you basing your negative views of kimber on owning one rifle?

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Nope! Same old complainers complaining.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CLB
TAK, honest question for you. Are you basing your negative views of kimber on owning one rifle?

My negative view is about KIMBER USA, not just on one Montana I happened to own. How many times does someone need to sucker punch you before you decide to duck. Kimbers' "service" policy, is to do what benefits Kimber USA's bottom line. Caveat Emptor.

BTW, Kimber's 1911's suck balls as well. They are consistently inconsistent.

Last edited by Take_a_knee; 01/13/14. Reason: spellin
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by CLB
Very nice write up.

What get's me is the anti Kimber guys will do most of what you stated to other rifles and not complain. But when you do the extra work to a Kimber, it's a POS!

I dunno, maybe $600 vs $1100 might have something to do with it?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
My Kimber experience is fairly limited compared to most of you guys. I still have a Kimber of Oregon 223 that I'll never part with, but understand this discussion is related to the current Yonkers rifles. Of those, I had an 8400 300 WM with a misaligned firing pin hole in the bolt face - after the first couple of rounds through it, I started getting misfires. Bolt disassembly revealed a bent firing pin and the shop I bought it from offered me a refund so I took them up on it rather then send it back to Kimber.

More recently, I found a used Classic in 325 WSM that I bought mainly because of the price which included a Leupy 4.5-14 I wanted for another rifle. For what I paid, I could have rebarreled to 7 WSM for not much more than the price of a new one which was where I was going with it. Of course I had to shoot it first - I couldn't get 200 Accubonds to shoot, but three different flat base bullets seem to do very well - consistently sub MOA. It's kind of growing on me as is...
[Linked Image]

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
No flies on your rifle...good shooting! Glad to see you "got a good one"...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It still kills me that Kimber is somehow expected to not be a factory rifle, even though it's a factory rifle.

I've hod some epic pieces of [bleep] from Remington too.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Page 5 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,035
Posts18,500,691
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.