Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8468082 01/14/14
H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
What lwt stove have you folks been happy with for your tipi?

GB1

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Handwerk,

I ordered an Ed T 16" cylinder stove awhile back. The next day I learned of the kifaru oval stoves, and had immediate buyer's remorse. When the Ed T stove arrived, I assembled it and thought it was a pain in the rear. My hunting trip ended up falling through this year, so I set the stove aside with plans to sell it.

A month ago I decided to give it a try, so I set up the SL-5 in the backyard and I found the stove much easier to put together the 2nd time around. I didn't even look at the instructions.

As soon as I lit a fire in it I was impressed. It drafted VERY well. Much better than i remember my kifaru para stove drafting. I was able to boil enough water to make a mountain house meal, although it took a while. You've really got to keep it ripping to boil water.

The tent warmed up pretty quickly, but temp that night was mid-upper 30's, so not a great test.

I'd still like to try one of Patrick's ovals, but I'll be hanging on to the Ed T.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
For ease of set up this is worth a look
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/ShepherdStove/tabid/937/Default.aspx

I've used the kifaru box stove for 15 years or more works good pita to set up.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Am watching this thread closely as I am in the market for a tipi stove.

With all respect for their light weight and creative designs, the various Ti backpack stoves seem complicated with a lot of parts to handle and lose with cold hands in snow.

Last edited by Okanagan; 01/14/14.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
have you looked at the ruta locura wifi stove at all?

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I love the looks of the hills people stove

You've got to hand it to a blind prostitute
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by handwerk

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one. It is better but it still has 8 pieces, several of them small, and some which need to be kept straight and true for the thing to assemble well.

Not fair to ask the makers for their trade secrets but I wonder what thickness of titanium they use in the backpack stoves?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Okanagan
Originally Posted by handwerk

Thanks for the link. I hadn't seen that one. It is better but it still has 8 pieces, several of them small, and some which need to be kept straight and true for the thing to assemble well.

Not fair to ask the makers for their trade secrets but I wonder what thickness of titanium they use in the backpack stoves?
What's that chimney made of? For longer lengths, they charge $15/foot.
I wouldn't call the thickness a trade secret. The buyer has a right to know what he's getting for the money.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
On the roll- up stoves, I use .005 titanium for the body & pipe.
With stainless, usually .004 on pipe.
I think those are pretty common thicknesses among stove builders.

Ed T

IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I made a roll-up with EdT's help. I've only used it a few nights, but was relying on it to melt snow for water. I was surprised how hot the stove had to be for melting snow and/or boiling water. There is a pretty big loss of efficiency with the rolled top stove and flat bottom pots.

The new rage is flat tops with the ruta locura, kifaru oval and SO u-turn, HPG shepherd, etc. They are much more efficient for cooking and heating pots.

The roll stove excels at light weight and portability. You'll have to prioritize your needs to find the best stove for YOU. Lightest? Smallest? Best for cooking? Cheapest? etc etc. No stove is perfect at everything.

Most stoves are going to have lots of parts, unless you use a non-collapsing canister, as Evan did for this project. But you lose some portability. I thought EdT had a similar model to reduce the "fiddle factor" but not sure if he's marketing it.

http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/FreeResources/Makeawoodstove/tabid/880/Default.aspx

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never seen a Ruta Locura but by the pics, it actually is a roll up but the cylinder is standing on end. That gives a flat stove top for better heat transfer. It does need some kind of tips on the legs, though, to keep it from sinking in soft ground. A simple T-nut with the prongs flattened out should do nicely.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ed_T
On the roll- up stoves, I use .005 titanium for the body & pipe.
With stainless, usually .004 on pipe.
I think those are pretty common thicknesses among stove builders.

Ed, thank you. I don't want to get into a stove building experiment, way behind the learning curve of pro stove builders who have moved past the common mistakes... but I'm such a tinkerer and modifier of gear that such a project is tempting!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm no expert in the field. But I've spent enough time in heated tents to have educated opinions on the matter...

The stoves that I'm most familiar with is EdT's, both the Kifaru box stoves and the new Ti cylinder stove. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I like the cylinder stove, and it's efficiency the best and I've found that cooking on one isn't as hard as everyone says it it. But then Quinoa and grouse breast soup ain't rocket science. You do however need to remember that it is UL gear and should be treated as such. Which includes keeping your drunk friends away from it.

Cooking performance is a ways down my priority list, it never fails to amaze me how much less life sucks in a tent with a stove. The way a C stove drafts, and the damper system it runs, is light years better than anything else I've been around.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by DanAdair
I'm no expert in the field. But I've spent enough time in heated tents to have educated opinions on the matter...

The stoves that I'm most familiar with is EdT's, both the Kifaru box stoves and the new Ti cylinder stove. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I like the cylinder stove, and it's efficiency the best and I've found that cooking on one isn't as hard as everyone says it it. But then Quinoa and grouse breast soup ain't rocket science. You do however need to remember that it is UL gear and should be treated as such. Which includes keeping your drunk friends away from it.

Cooking performance is a ways down my priority list, it never fails to amaze me how much less life sucks in a tent with a stove. The way a C stove drafts, and the damper system it runs, is light years better than anything else I've been around.

Quinoa? You eat that stuff smile

Ed T

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hear hippies say that it's good food.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whizbangdaddy
For ease of set up this is worth a look
http://www.hillpeoplegear.com/Products/InDetail/ShepherdStove/tabid/937/Default.aspx

I've used the kifaru box stove for 15 years or more works good pita to set up.
I was reading the Hill People web site about their stoves. It says that to use the damper, you have to use THEIR chimney. It then goes on to say that they DO NOT make chimneys. So, apparently you can't use their damper. Huh?

They also say their stove is stainless, not Ti, so it's twice the weight of other similar sized stoves.

The next day I learned of the kifaru oval stoves, and had immediate buyer's remorse.
I hope the Kifaru ovals are easier to set up than their video suggests. I'm not about to fiddle around with all those wires.

― George Orwell

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
We have a new stove coming out that I think will do a very good job combining the elements that result in good usable performance, low fiddle factor and good longevity at a minimal weight. Stay tuned

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
We have a new stove coming out that I think will do a very good job combining the elements that result in good usable performance, low fiddle factor and good longevity at a minimal weight. Stay tuned
What's your time frame on that one?

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Kevin_T

Interesting. Am tuned... smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,630 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,061
Posts18,482,433
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.