Page 13 of 39 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 38 39
A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I'm hoping that he and his lovely bride can make the trip. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by CCCC
How 'bout a Chilean?

Does Maddy know? eek blush grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by CCCC
How 'bout a Chilean?

Does Maddy know? eek blush grin
Ed

Hey - I didn't say "Chileanita".

Actually, she knows that old 1895 Mauser rifle fairly well - first one I ever owned. Bought it in 1962 for $13 or so from Sears catalog - full military wood/length/etc. - and, as a pure novice, set about doing what they called "sporterizing" at that time. She watched (we only had one daughter then). What a raw adventure that was.

Hacksawed the barrel to the "best" length; somehow crowned the end; borrowed blocks and a torch and bent/reshaped the bolt; borrowed a jig and drilled/tapped for scope; had to buy and install a "low swing" safety; did my best to smooth the mil double hump trigger; cut down and finished the stock; installed a $5 Japanese scope; bought some Win 175 grain factory ammo; went out in October and shot a desert mule deer - my first hunt.

Here it still sits, with a better scope - but nothing else changed. All downhill from there.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't need too many more attendees and the campground will stretch out to where I can attend without having to drive anywhere.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Sounds good ED. Houston Pat, you can shoot my 30/40 or the 6.5 x 55. Both iron sights or peep site.
Ammo for the Russian is real cheap to buy and shoot. Another good one to bring.
I personal will not shoot reloads in my 30/40 for a while. Have to keep under 40,000 for safety.
Love for Gunner to bring his sharps.
Pat you can bring your brand new one so we can just look too.

Going to be fun guys, gals and kids.

It will be fun indeed smile

If I bring the .30-40 #1, ya'll just be careful picking up any funny looking ammo, with newfangled plastic tip bullets in them...'cause they're loaded for the Ruger, and they're absolutely, positively, not loaded for nice old Krags. blush Maybe not rolling blocks or 1895 Winchesters, either!

Same thing goes for the #1 .45-70, if I bring it grin

I may or may not have my Sharps by then, but it's a .45-90, as is my High Wall, so they are technically not military calibers. But my brother does have a Browning 1886 lightweight in .45-70.

How about a SMLE No. 4 Mk I? It actually has slight resistance, closing on the nogo headspace gauge. smile

Or an 03A3, my faux Sedgley. It will be fair, the slight barrel bulge will give me a slight disadvantage in the match smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the sharps is not in, how about just bring the new Ford so we can kick the tires etc. You need miles on it anyway. 50,000 and the motor will be broke in.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
smile

I'm still on the fence about buying a truck. I might just buy a Jeep like yours and keep the F150 for when I need to pull big stuff.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by curdog4570
Don't need too many more attendees and the campground will stretch out to where I can attend without having to drive anywhere.

Cooks get special parking/camping privileges, so don't worry about that stuff. grin

I'm hoping for a great turnout. There's a bunch of folks I'd like to see in one spot.

Ed

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Since we've discussed old firearms, how about another shoot, patched round balls over Holy Black? One shot, offhand, cold bore at 100 yards, closest to the center wins? laugh

Another, BPCR, iron sights, any position, 400 yards, cold bore, one shot?

I guess we need to settle on what matches we will hold. I can sit here all day and come up with ideas. grin

Maybe a William Tell shoot with long bows or recurves? No sights, no releases, one arrow from 20 yards, at an apple?
A tie breaker would be to move back five yards at a time, sudden death?

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain't no cook............. I just found an apron in the bar ditch, that's all.

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I ain't no cook............. I just found an apron in the bar ditch, that's all.

Uh huh. Tell that to someone who hasn't eaten your cooking, 'cause that dog won't hunt here. grin

Ed

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Uh huh. Tell that to someone who hasn't eaten your cooking, 'cause that dog won't hunt here. grin

Ed

Well..... I confess to being the second best chili maker in the world. [ there's 10,000 tied for first place, but I'm in sole possession of the second spot]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
smile

I'm still on the fence about buying a truck. I might just buy a Jeep like yours and keep the F150 for when I need to pull big stuff.

Well if you go that route, be sure and get a Rubicon, 4 door model. Runs a lot smoother on the hwy, the 4 doors do (they are longer wheel base, smoother ride) and the locking axles will get you where you want to go. Check to see if the rear seat folds down, you will want that storage/hauling room. I pulled the back seat out of mine, only put it in once or twice for the grandkids and two trips to Colorado.
I'll be in my old F250 for the shoot at Eds.

Last edited by Wtxj; 01/16/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Since we've discussed old firearms, how about another shoot, patched round balls over Holy Black? One shot, offhand, cold bore at 100 yards, closest to the center wins? laugh

Another, BPCR, iron sights, any position, 400 yards, cold bore, one shot?

I guess we need to settle on what matches we will hold. I can sit here all day and come up with ideas. grin

Maybe a William Tell shoot with long bows or recurves? No sights, no releases, one arrow from 20 yards, at an apple?
A tie breaker would be to move back five yards at a time, sudden death?

Ed

Of course both my Hawkens need work. I was gonna ask Cross to fix them smile

How about pre-WWII bolt actions, in non-military calibers, with iron sights? Kaywoodie gots me fixed up, there...

smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
smile

Well if you go that route, be sure and get a Rubicon, 4 door model. Runs a lot smoother on the hwy, the 4 doors do (they are longer wheel base, smoother ride) and the locking axles will get you where you want to go. Check to see if the rear seat folds down, you will want that storage/hauling room. I pulled the back seat out of mine, only put it in once or twice for the grandkids and two trips to Colorado.
I'll be in my old F250 for the shoot at Eds.

thanks, yeah the Rubicon has some real good hardware on it, heavier duty front axle and transfer case, plus locking diffs & sway bar disconnect. The Red F150 did okay last year, but them mulies that Gene knows about live in darn rough places.

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
I wonder how many obscure categories we can come up with? grin

Sound like we could be shooting from "can see to can't see". laugh

Ed

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'll bring some Pisco and I'll see if Adriana can make some of her alfajores or alfajor cake.
I can make some Lomo saltado, but we will need plentiful meat, large skillet/wok and strong fire.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang that looks tasty smile

will pork & venison work?

A
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A
Yes, it does look good! Too bad I'm allergic to Bell peppers! cry

I have some wild pork & venison to contribute.

We may be able to get another hog before then, too. They are tearing up my back pasture again. mad

Ed

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OK,

Just got home.
One big jug of Rebbecca Creek wiskey imported from San Antonio I believe.

750 ml of pisco porton
Imported from PERU
43% ALC. by vol
Signed on the side by someone
For Doc. Sponxx to make up some kind of drinks.
Trip is shaping up. Cigars, sure but not this early. For the ones that like. Gum for the rest.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 13 of 39 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 38 39

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 58 invisible), 2,266 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.