Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Combo guys,
I have a sav 24f in 223 and 12 ga and its a handy beaver erradication gun and to throw in the truck on farm visits. The 223 is accurate and my 1.5-4.5 scope doesn't seem to get shaken off zero when shootin 2.75" #4 buck loads.

Whats peoples experiences with shooting 3" mag's and holding zero on scopes?

Toying with putting a browning reflex sight or red dot sight on it because my beaver rifle shots are usually under 100 yard, but its a small target and I want to be able to shoot into twilight. Any recomendations or experience stories?

I have a older bushnell banner light site in 1.75 - 4.5 range that I may put on it, but one issue with any scope is I have to remember to aim up 4" when using the shotgun barrel. Thats where the lower mounted reflex type sight may help.

Please throw me your opinions guys.

H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
no one has an opinion?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Most of my 24's are rimfires and V's, both rimfire and centerfire V's being over 20 gauge rather than 12. I do have a 30-30 over 12 but it is one of the last 24V's made, prototype for the 24F, and a rather rare collector piece. It is new and unfired, and I doubt I'll ever fire it.

I'm inclined to think that if your scope is rigidly mounted with a good set of bases and rings, and you have no issues shooting 2 3/4 inch buckshot you'll have no problem with 3 inch mags, other than a shoulder that will regret more than a few shots.

I would doubt that changing to a lower sight plane/sight whatever will resolve your problem of the barrels not shooting to the same point of impact. There is no barrel regulation on any 24 that I know of and it is indeed a rare Savage 24 that will shoot both to the same point of impact. While they are cool, and fun to shoot, and fairly accurate, they are not exactly top end drillings that have adjustments to change barrel regulation.

Much as I dislike any kind of see thru scope mount, they are the answer for a Savage 24. You can adjust the irons for the shotgun barrel, or just flip the rear iron sight down and sight along the barrel plane for the shotgun, and use the scope for the rifle.

Kwik Site Co. used to make a very nice see thru mount for the centerfire Savage 24's, I don't know if they still do, but they have a wide view for the irons, and lowprofile enough that you can manage some of your cheek on the stock when looking through the scope. I have 2 of them on 2 of my 24V's in 223 over 20 gauge, and as I said, while I dislike see thru scope mounts on most any gun, they simply are the answer for a savage 24 centerfire in my opinion. A scope with an objective lens no larger than 33 MM is preferred so the objective bell isn't dipping down into the see thru area. I use a Leupold Vari X II 2X7 and a Denver Redfield Low Profile Widefield 2X7 on my 2 in those Kwik Site see thru mounts and they work out fine for me.

If you want more magnification(which comes with a larger objective lens) an older Denver Redfield Low Profile Widefield with the TV lens on both ends will prevent the scope from blocking out your see thru view for the irons.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by wink_man; 01/19/14.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Very good info. My initial thoughts on a reflex or even a burris fast fire would be to minimize the height and get away from hammer access issues under the scope. I was playing with a laser shotgun shell from a trap shooter and it didn't seem to have any regulation. Probably better that way than to fight it for a designated range when you got a flat shooting rifle shell.

Thanks.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Well like I said, you can get some of your cheek on the stock with the mounts I have but it's liveable and obviously hammer access isn't an issue.

I like it because you can sight in foster slugs with the irons, flip the rear sight down and use the barrel as a sighting plane when using shot, and the scope for the rifle. That combo of projectiles can get you a pretty wide variety of game.

Kwik site mounts I have are a 2 piece set marked #35 & #34. I could take pics tomorow for you so you could see what it looks like from a viewpoint of looking through both scope and irons.

Garry
Trump won !!!
Trying to live like a free man in the Communist Republic of New Jersey.
Love your country, distrust your government.
Democrats and the people who vote for them, enemies of America and a free American people
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I firmly believe that a good medium fixed power scope is best if you shoot much heavy shotgun loads with the scope mounted.

But, how much will you shoot at all with a scope mounted? I like fixed 4X on combo guns. They were once thought of as medium high powered scopes, back in the day.

I killed more game with a Weaver K-4 60 than with all other scopes I've ever owned. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just so you know what I use this gun for is shooting beavers in the evening when they come out. The target is the size of a baseball moving on the water and head shots are the only way to anchor them. A
I'm having second thoughts on the red dot... the typical usage is for beavers, but its in the truck on the farm so longer shots may come up. The large MOA red dots could be a issue for shots past 50 yards because of the small target nature.

Its a conflict... the scope with illuminated x-hair is the bext, but a burris fast fire would be sweet on it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (12344mag, 16penny, 1badf350, 1936M71, 1234, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,099 guests, and 1,327 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,021
Posts18,481,659
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.