Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I was in my local Walmart 2 days ago and did not even look at the ammo, last time I checked a few months ago I picked up a box of Wolf .45 ACP real cheap, but it is gotten to the point that I am not bothering to look anymore, anywhere for .22 RF. Just not shooting as much, and when I do go to the range the pellet guns with some centerfire handguns get the nod, while I have around 1,000 rds of .22 available, I am just waiting for things to get better.

I find it strange that the foreign makers like Wolf, Sellier and Bellot, Aguila, etc. have not pumped up their production to take advantage of this?

Just in case I do look at the online sites like Graffs, but of course it is the usaul "Not in stock, on backorder".

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
This is all funny to me. I buy ammo or supplies as I go. My rimfire supplier has held his prices. I order and Dan says that he doesn't have it today, but it will be at his store in 2-6 weeks. When it arrives he ships it. I am tired of all the whinnying. Get up at 4am in the morning if you choose. I order mine from Dan Killough and when it comes in, he ships to me. Yes, I have several bricks of rimfire ammo, it is not for sale, and if you quit whinnying and order you will get it.

These people who are "whinnying" - are they "neigh"-sayers?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
HE112,

I am sure the foreign .22 ammo manufacturers have upped production, just as the American makers have. The trouble is demand (orders) is still running several times the normal level. Not just a little above normal or even doulve, but several times. Consequently, manufacturers still can't keep up with demand, which is why .22 ammo is back-ordered by every brick-and-mortar store and on-line mail-order company in the U.S.

There's plenty of .22 ammo stocked in stores in Canada, because Canadians didn't go into a buying panic when Obama was re-elected. We did.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
There was a short period of time around late spring that the European producers flooded the American market with 22LR. Most high end Target. Made for short supply in Europe after that. They were laughing at us before that happened. They are not now.
This problem is worldwide!

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

There's plenty of .22 ammo stocked in stores in Canada, because Canadians didn't go into a buying panic when Obama was re-elected. We did.

It's taken a year, but it's catching up to us now. 22 ammo is hard to find. It's out there, but a lot of stores are down on inventory or out. No shortages with Euro stuff so far.

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
According to my ATK stock holder paperwork and emails, When the 2012 production run of components sold out early they kicked 2013 production run time up. That sold out before 2013 actually arived. Then they ran 2014 production earlier then usual to make up for shortages. That has long been sold out. They do not have a supply line in place to just up production to a rate that would keep up with demand as it is now.
The foreign companies can not up their imports because there are quotas in place to only allow certain amounts of any foreign munitions in . The lack of powder for reloading is under these same constraints.
As far as local supplies here in North central Wyoming, I do not even bother looking cuz, there aint nothing to be had, except at Shipton's Big R in Sheridan and the prices they have jacked things to ,they can keep it. I will be patient and get what I need on a cross country trip next month.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Mr.260. Do you know if Rocky Mnt is keeping 17HMR stocked? Planning on being out there in June and checking on restock options.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
kass-

Check out Cabela's website. They might have 17HMR. Their stores all full of them.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Was at McBrides guns in Austin today, it is one of the old premier independent gun shops in town. Absolutely NO .22 rim fire including magnum available, even their reloading gun powder looked almost cleaned out. Was at an Academy store (big chain store) last week, no 22's either.

Decided to sell another gun in .22 RF, my Henry lever action, it is a good gun but I prefer bolts. And it is in .22 RF which has not been available for too... long.

Last edited by HE112; 01/24/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If before Obama there was some 22 ammo in 50% of the households with an average of 500 rounds stored and used per year in to the top 10%, and then hoarding started, with all of the top 10% then wanting 10 bricks, we an calculate the recovery time.

The consumption is 500 rounds per year but now they want 5,000 in reserve. That is a 10 year supply. The manufacturers can run three shifts to triple production. One shift would be for consumption and two shifts for hoarding. The recovery would then take 5 years.

But the 22 shortage did not start until Obama was re elected. His initial election caused a primer shortage. Primers are now available, but double in price.

So Obama's Presidency will end in 2016 with a year of potential 22 shortage remaining. But if a Republican is elected President in 2016, each hoarding household will stop at ~ 8 bricks in reserve.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B3

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I don't know how one can 'hoard' something that is not available. I know the owners or managers of nearly every sporting goods store in my area and they insist that they can not get a delivery on 22 LR. I have not seen any 22 LR on the shelves in nearly two years and I look every time I get to a shop. It is simply not being delivered to the sporting goods stores.

I will hunt everywhere before I die!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Federal Premium� Ammunition Website: We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.

FAQ:

Does the recent news regarding a major U.S. lead smelter shutting down mean you'll have trouble obtaining lead for manufacturing conventional ammunition?
We do not anticipate any additional strain on our ability to obtain lead.

Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?
The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Why are you selling your ammunition to the DHS?
The Department of Homeland Security contract makes up a very small percentage of our total ammunition output. Our production volumes on government contracts have been stable since the mid-2000s.

IS DHS BUYING MORE AMMUNITION TODAY THAN EVER BEFORE?
Department of Homeland Security ammunition purchases have been declining since 2009. It is projected that it will continue on this trend. Read the GAO report.

Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?
No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Why can't you just make more ammunition?
Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.

Ray
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At CCI� Website: We are currently experiencing high demand for our products. We appreciate your patience and support and remain committed to serving all of our customers, from hunters and sport shooters to those who protect our country and our streets.

FAQS:

Q: Does the recent news regarding a major U.S. lead smelter shutting down mean you'll have trouble obtaining lead for manufacturing conventional ammunition?
A: At this time we do not anticipate any additional strain on our ability to obtain lead.

Q: Why is ammunition in certain calibers so hard to find?
A: The current market and environment is causing stronger than usual demand for products in our industry.

Q: Are certain contracts taking ammunition away from civilians?
A: No. We remain committed to serving all channels of our business. The majority of our product serves the commercial market.

Q: Is DHS buying more ammunition today than ever before?
A: Department of Homeland Security ammunition purchases have been declining since 2009. It is projected that it will continue on this trend. Read the GAO report.

Q: Why can't you just make more ammunition?
A: Our facilities operate 24-hours a day. We are continually making process improvements to increase our efficiency and investing in capital and personnel where we have sustained demand. We are bringing additional capacity online again this year.

Ray
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.winchester.com/learning-center/faqs/Pages/FAQs.aspx

Nothing on Production or Market Supply ???

Ray
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FAQS Hornady� Website:

Hornady Products are scarce in my neck of the woods. How can I get ahold of some?

The current political climate has caused extremely high demand on all shooting industry products, including ours. Empty retail shelves, long backorders, and exaggerated price increases on online auction sites � all fueled by rumors and conjecture � have amplified concerns about the availability of ammunition and firearms-related items.

If the information you hear doesn�t originate from Hornady Manufacturing, don�t believe it.

Here are some of rumors we�ve heard, and questions we�ve received:

�Have you stopped production, or has the government forced you to stop?
Not at all.

�Did you stop selling bullets so you could only make loaded ammunition?
Absolutely not.

�Since we can�t find your product you must be selling it all to the government.
Nope, less than 5% of our sales are to government entities.

�Why can�t you make more? Ramp up production? Turn on all the machines?
We�ve been steadily growing our production for a long time, especially the last five years. We�ve added presses, lathes, CNC equipment, people and space. Many popular items are produced 24 hours a day. Several hundred Hornady employees work overtime every week to produce as much as safely possible.

If there is any question about that � please take a tour of the factory. You�ll be amazed at what you see. We are producing as much as we can; much more than last year, which was a lot more than the year before, etc. No one wants to ship more during this time than we do.

We appreciate everyone�s understanding and patience. We don�t know when the situation will improve, so please bear with us a little longer. And remember, when it comes to Hornady Manufacturing, if you don�t hear it from us, please don�t believe it.

Ray
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
It just came to me. What was Reagan and Brady shot with?

There is your answer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://support.remington.com/

Nothing on Production or Market Supply ???

Ray
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thinking about it - The "no comment" from Rem and Win is odd!

Last edited by RaySendero; 03/16/14.

Ray
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mauser12
I don't know how one can 'hoard' something that is not available. I know the owners or managers of nearly every sporting goods store in my area and they insist that they can not get a delivery on 22 LR. I have not seen any 22 LR on the shelves in nearly two years and I look every time I get to a shop. It is simply not being delivered to the sporting goods stores.

I know my Walmart and Dunhams are receiving 22LR. I know some of the scalpers that run out and buy it up for resale. It's all bought up the day it's put out.

An FFL friend of mine just told me one of his distributors said they had received a HUGE supply of 22LR ammo, but were requiring you to buy a 22LR firearm before they'd sell you any ammo. He said the sale of 22LR firearms had been down lately due to the ammo hoarding so they needed to unload some firearms. "Buy a gun to get your ammo" is a good way for them to unload some inventory to the desperate dealers. My guy said he's paying around $18.00 for a brick of cheap promo LR, selling them for $30.00 a brick to the gunshow and flea market guys who mark it up once again.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Seen quite a bit of .22 ammo at my local walmart and the local acadmey sports here along the coast in texas!

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (1936M71, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 12344mag, 163bc, 06hunter59, 65 invisible), 2,640 guests, and 1,365 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,597
Posts18,473,528
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.