-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Who has experience with these to comment on how much they enjoyed the gun vs. degree of headaches/hassles?

Specifically, adventures in hull cutting when short hulls aren't available, and learning roll crimping. That one can buy factory at 75-100% of 2 3/4", am aware and not being a competitive shooter it doesn't bother me should I buy it now and again.

Been browsing for a 20 or 28 sxs of the fox/smith/lefever etc variety, preferably modest re ornamentation but a classic heirloom gun nonetheless.

One's tugging at my heartstrings here, but is 2 1/2. Will be checking on suitability to lengthen chamber, but not keen on doing unless practicality dictates down the road. Finally, an experienced friend can instruct re hull cutting and roll crimps.

I enjoy the old stuff and have no illusions of this being walmart-easy; will be keeping other guns around for proverbial "rainy days". But whether it would prove a fool's errand, am trying to figure. Thanks for your thoughts.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
to easy to buy 2-1/2" loads. Buy the gun!

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I just have the chambers or forcing cones lengthened. I also do not hesitate to open chokes to suit me. I usually send them to Briley Mfg. To be altered.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've been shooting low pressure 2 1/2" 16's in my Mod 20 Husqvarna going on ten years now. My pre-war A5 is also short chambered.
Not all of the2 1/2" load recipes call for a roll crimp. There's really little difference between loading 2 1/2" and 2 3/4". The fold crimp loads I use come off my MEC 600JR just as well as the longer cartridges. MEC makes a short cartridge plate to fit their presses.

All of my roll crimp equipment came from Ballistic Products, and there really isn't that much involved. If you already have a press of the right gauge you can use it to size with. If not the Super Sizer is nice. You'll also need a hull vise, roll crimper and a drill to run the crimper with. Again if you have a press, powder and shot can be handled with the charge bar and then moved to the hull vise for crimping. If not Lee dippers work for powder and an adjustable dipper for shot.

The biggest thing to roll crimping is getting the Feel for when to push down on the crimper. Too soon, and the plastic won't be warm enough to roll. Too late, and the plastic gets too hot and smears.
It also helps if you charge several hulls and then crimp one right after the other so the crimping tool doesn't cool between cartridges. I actually got lazy and bought a cheap plastic bodied Sears drill press and mounted a hull vise to the table. With the depth stop set crimps come out nice and round, even and square to the hull walls.

And no, it's no fools errand. My days shooting dove with the Husqy or roosters with the A5 make the small additional effort invested worth while.

"There are three kinds of men
Those who learn by reading
The few who learn by observing
The rest have to pee on the
electric fence and find out
for themselves."
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the insights, fellas.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I see little draw back other than you can't go to walmart for ammo.

Pluses, you can get to hunt with some very nice guns that would be out of my reach to purchase new.

I shoot a pair of Husqvarna 51's in 12ga, a Darne and Ideal in 12ga, a Robust sxs, Sauer and guild drillings in 16 ga. all 2 1/2"

There is much data available fro BP and loaded ammo from B&P and RST. Loading is little different from 2 3/4 just a shortshell adaptor for the MEC. I load a block full and then take them to the roll crimper. I have an old Lee Loadall that I use for my ITX waterfowl loads.

My waterfowl load set up. the press just deprimes and primes both 12 and 16 ga and I scoop shot and hand inset wads.
[Linked Image]

Mec with shortshell adaptor
[Linked Image]

When it all comes together.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't think there is anything more fun than harvesting your birds with one of the oldtimers.

I find that I do just as well with low pressure 3/4 to 1 Oz. as I did with heavier modern loads.

Last edited by erich; 01/20/14.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (257robertsimp, 7mm_Loco, 14idaho, 10gaugemag, 15 invisible), 1,254 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,678
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.