Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1,284 of 1,842 1 2 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1841 1842
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You are right Fluffy a pressure cooker will make the toughest of old fox squirrels fit to eat

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Man, I need a pressure cooker. I want to can some venison next year.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Going to take a bunch of them to make a meal. You might want to get a pressure cooker. laugh

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I went to a wild game dinner at church Sat night. Must've had 30 different kinds of wild game there. Most if it was pretty good. Lots of venny and fish, but some muskrat, beaver, bear, pheasant, duck, goose, rabbit, caribou, and elk too. Don't remember any squirrel. I had a 1/2 tablespoon of coleslaw for veggies to make sure I completed my food pyramid.

Bad news is I was praying to the porcelain god big time at 2:30 in the morning. Me thinks it was the dang cabbage.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
that doesn't sound fun. that's why I leave them veggies up to the ruminants, they can handle that stuff. I reckon God gave me sharp teeth for a reason, and carrots and the like aint it.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
that doesn't sound fun. that's why I leave them veggies up to the ruminants, they can handle that stuff. I reckon God gave me sharp teeth for a reason, and carrots and the like aint it.

at some point in time, you'll need to learn about "fiber" in your diet,and venison steak don't have much. grin

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mom and Dad used to use a pressure cooker a lot until the occurrence of The Great Exploding Chicken beset us. Mom's cooking a whole chicken in the pressure cooker, and something went wrong because the emergency check valve blew-and so did the entire chicken bones and all right through the pencil-sized check valve hole.

The check valve blew with such force, it went through the sheetrock ceiling and up into the attic somewhere. The entire carcass blew through that little hole. We had chicken piece/parts from one end of the kitchen to the other. Bone fragments were actually stuck in the sheetrock. Talk about a mess. Had anyone been standing there at the time they would have been scalded and possible worse. We never used a pressure cooker again.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
heck I had homemade baked beans beans and tenderloin last night, I reckon them count as veggies. there's the fiber right there! smile
even had a package of bacon in it to grease the gears.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Mom and Dad used to use a pressure cooker a lot until the occurrence of The Great Exploding Chicken beset us. Mom's cooking a whole chicken in the pressure cooker, and something went wrong because the emergency check valve blew-and so did the entire chicken bones and all right through the pencil-sized check valve hole.

The check valve blew with such force, it went through the sheetrock ceiling and up into the attic somewhere. The entire carcass blew through that little hole. We had chicken piece/parts from one end of the kitchen to the other. Bone fragments were actually stuck in the sheetrock. Talk about a mess. Had anyone been standing there at the time they would have been scalded and possible worse. We never used a pressure cooker again.

If that were to happen today, everyone would have had a video camera and posted it on U Tube.

My mother used a pressure cooker all her life with no problems, but she warned all of us about the possible dangers. Mom gave us one as a gift, but my wife was always to afraid of it to use it.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

That is why I plan to go American-made, from this place....even if it is made in Wisconsin.

http://www.allamericancanner.com/allamericanpressurecanner.htm

IC B3

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
There is a difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner. Both work on the same basic principal but are used for different purposes. There are basic safety procedures for both, and the owners manuals will go a long way to getting you started safely. We use both cookers and canners.

You do not have to have had a psychotic episode to work here, it just saves time!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I often wondered how mechanically separated chicken was made.

I try to learn something significant everyday and this will definitely be the highlight of the month.

I honestly always figured sharp rotating blades were used in the process.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_55
There is a difference between a pressure cooker and a pressure canner. Both work on the same basic principal but are used for different purposes. There are basic safety procedures for both, and the owners manuals will go a long way to getting you started safely. We use both cookers and canners.

I plan on using it mainly to can venison.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by White_Bear

I often wondered how mechanically separated chicken was made.

I try to learn something significant everyday and this will definitely be the highlight of the month.

I honestly always figured sharp rotating blades were used in the process.

We have discussed the mechanical separation of chickens at great lengths and somehow we have failed to consider steam power in our theories.

I feel so foolish now.

Something clever here.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Think power. Like the old steam engines and first tractors!

Camp is where you make it.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Does anyone ever ponder what the other types of seperated chicken are? Chemical? Manual?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ive only used them since deer season ,so Im not an expert, but the owners manuals all talk about making sure the vent pipe doesn't get plugged,and not to overfill it ,so as not to obstruct the pipe.

I went to the local supermarket chain last weekend,and bought an entire beef fore shank and canned it,just to see how it would work out. ended up about $3.00a lb, after paying for the bone.
next time I may try the stew meat,buy a few pounds and can it.same stuff,just cut up by them,and no bone.
round steak looks to be the best deal to can with
something else I want to do,is make some dilled cauliflower.
I like it a lot,but its just outrageous to buy.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've got some venison to can, hopefully gonna do that one of these days. having a friend come down to show me how so I don't screw it up and blow a hole in the roof smile

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
We canned some venison a week or so ago. Awesome stuff. You can make a killer gravy for over french fries.The evil One is getting ready to make a roaster full of vegetable soup and can it. We haven't done that for a while. Fluffy the stew chunks will work just fine. I don't know what the canning process does to meat but it is darn good

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I've got some venison to can, hopefully gonna do that one of these days. having a friend come down to show me how so I don't screw it up and blow a hole in the roof smile

Video it in case you do so we call all see what's going on. grin

Camp is where you make it.
Page 1,284 of 1,842 1 2 1282 1283 1284 1285 1286 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 61 invisible), 2,378 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,412
Posts18,489,030
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.