Campfire Ranger
E
No Springfields Mark?

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
That's a good looking rig. I always liked the look of that style floor plate.
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Blueprinted
I have a VZ24. 1909 Argentine bottom metal and a Wisner straddle plate. I began picking up parts for this several years ago. Plan was to have a very high end gun to give to my kid for graduation. Well, fast forward a few years. Build kept getting pushed back. Other stuff got built instead.

So is it worth putting a few hundred into the action? 3 pos safety, Blackburn trigger get the plate fitted to the bottom metal, heat treated, D&T hanging a barrel on it and a decent matte blue job. New bolt handle. Very Dakotaish. Similar to the one a poster just put up. Action is very nice. Slick no pits. It will get dropped in a Banser or Boyds for awhile until I could get funds together for a proper stock. Or just trip it to someone else, take that money and the money I would put into it and buy him a Kimber or Winchester Super Grade for the same thing, with the stock all done.

I think they are

][Linked Image]
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by Blueprinted
I have a VZ24. 1909 Argentine bottom metal and a Wisner straddle plate. I began picking up parts for this several years ago. Plan was to have a very high end gun to give to my kid for graduation. Well, fast forward a few years. Build kept getting pushed back. Other stuff got built instead.

So is it worth putting a few hundred into the action? 3 pos safety, Blackburn trigger get the plate fitted to the bottom metal, heat treated, D&T hanging a barrel on it and a decent matte blue job. New bolt handle. Very Dakotaish. Similar to the one a poster just put up. Action is very nice. Slick no pits. It will get dropped in a Banser or Boyds for awhile until I could get funds together for a proper stock. Or just trip it to someone else, take that money and the money I would put into it and buy him a Kimber or Winchester Super Grade for the same thing, with the stock all done.

I think they are

][Linked Image]

Last edited by rickmenefee; 01/20/14.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Dewd that's a cool rifle. I love how you confused the overall classic design with non-traditional end cap & checkering. Very distinctive.

I hope you don't mind me complimenting your wood blush .

I like the SS tube too.

What are the details? Who did the stock work? What kind of wood is it? Is that a rosewood end cap? Who did the checkering? What's the cartridge?

S
SSB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder....you be the judge...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

We eat organic in our house, we just have to shoot and gut it first.....
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Ted/Yukoner:

I love it. Tell me all about it!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The short answer is not only no, but hell no!

Building around a military Mauser action has the potential of becoming a serious money pit. It is really easy to get trapped in the slippery slope of "stone soup" creep/add-ons. Just one more thing, becomes two more things, becomes three more things, etc.

A case in point, I have a $1,200+/- Swedish Mauser in 6.5x55. It started as a 1942 vintage Husqvarna M38 in minty condition for which I paid $150 in 1995. Then the "stone soup" creep started; there was the Timney trigger, the Douglas barrel, the Boyds stocks, the Dayton-Traister Cock-On-Opening kit, replacing the bolt handle, milling the clip guide off the rear receiver ring, d&t for a Redfield one-piece base, reblue job on the receiver and bottom metal, etc.

Jeff

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I like mine, .257 Roberts. . .

Attached Images
Copy of .257-2_compressed.JPG (45.3 KB, 1935 downloads)

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Mike that was one worthwhile money pit; I have Mauser envy!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have a bunch of rifles built around military Mauser actions, 27, so I'm not opposed to them, I just don't think that they are a very practical route to take.

My favorite SR is a Mexican in 257 Roberts that Mule Deer put together and my favorite LR is a pre-WW2 FN in 7x57 that G&H put together.

Jeff

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by MikeS
I like mine, .257 Roberts. . .

[Linked Image]

Very neat package Mike, I like the open grip

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the tech help. I really like the open grips on a hunting rifle.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
really nice rifle mike, what action is it built on? OP, I hope they're worth the headache, because im building my first two right now. One is a small ring g33/40 .30 U.S.A 1906 and the other is an interarms that is getting turned into an all weather .375 ruger or 9.3x62/64. As others have said, these builds aren't cost effective and a factory tikka could probably do much if not all of what a mauser can do, but mausers just reek cool and are nigh on impossible to break.

John

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like all of mine and wouldn't trade the first one for a tikka laugh Not even my plastic stocked M98!

They're just good, rock solid hunting rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
4 in my safe
VZ24 in 7mm RM
Voere Cougar in 308 Norma Mag
FN commercial 9.3x62 Mcmillan all weather finish
FN commerical Sako in 300 H&H mag at McMillan for a McWoody
and will get a bluing like cerakote finish by Charlie Santoni .
next project most likely 375 H&H with pretty furniture.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by z1r
You can't really compare a full custom rifle (of any make) to a box stock, off the shelf, production rifle.

You most certainly can, in just about every meaningful way. It's a mindf�ck to 'engineer' something so revolutionary every major manufacturer missed it. Not to mention the privilege of paying triple for equal performance, and the divine right of recouping less than half of your 'investment'.

The OP should do himself, his kids, and everyone else a favor, buy a nice production rifle that fills a need, and invest the remaining fortune in Little Johnny's retirement fund.

GFY

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a mindf�ck to 'engineer' something so revolutionary every major manufacturer missed it

George,
Did you ever consider that it might not be profitable to manufacture a Mauser that follows the original design?

Originally Posted by Judman
PS, if you think Trump is “good” you’re way stupider than I thought! Haha

Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Most posters with Rem 700's replace firing pins , blueprint their actions replace the trigger bed their McMillan stocks and replace their factory barrel and your point is?

Last edited by sidepass; 01/21/14.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Something to think about. I am visiting in Albuquerque and I stopped in Ron Petersons gun shop, sitting on the used shelf are two nice Husqvarna Mausers in 30/06 one has a cheap scope on it and is priced at $395, the other one does not have a scope and is priced at $365. If I was going to build a Mauser based sporter I would jump on one of them in a heartbeat. They are used but not abused, I do not recall that either had significant blue wear or wood marks, both have the schnabel fore-end and one has some light fiddle-back markings in the wood.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jeff,

Good to hear you still have that Mexican .257! That was one of the last walnut stocks I did. Just didn't have time for much stock-work after that.

The most cost-effective way to get a 98 Mauser actioned hunting rifle is definitely NOT starting from the beginning with a military action. There are too many good commercial-actioned 98's around, or used custom rifles built on military 98's with some or all of the work already done.

But there is also a certain something about a rifle put together the way YOU want on a good military 98, whether you do some of the work yourself or hire it done.

These days, however, the lengths to which some people go are incredible. 50-75 years ago a lot of custom 98's were built with the military magazine assembly, but today many people replace the perfectly good hinged floorplate of the 1909 Argentine (perhaps the major reason 1909's were always desirable) with custom "bottom metal" costing $600. Then there's the money spent turning a military 98 into a "double square bridge" with a lot of welding, machinging and filing, when you can buy a CZ 550 or Ruger Hawkeye with the same basic feature.

However, rifle loonyism knows no bounds. It's never been about need or practicality. Instead it's about WANT....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jauntymorel
really nice rifle mike, what action is it built on?

John

It is a VZ24 put together by Guild member Ray Price before he passed, surface ground and all the "trick moves" ;-). Ray was a friend of Chic Worthing and Chic put some of the finishing touches on it. I've shot several half MOA grops with it at 200 yards, so I have to grin when I hear mausers aren't accurate.

Mike

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10ring1, 1234, 257wthbylover, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 65 invisible), 2,310 guests, and 1,199 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,125
Posts18,502,439
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.