Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Has any one had experience with this cal.what are the pros and cons?

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
GB1

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I think Scenarshooter's current Swift is AI"d..

Molon Labe
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
look up Weatherby 220 Rocket. It was produced for just a couple of years. It flopped.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/12/14.

Swifty
W
W

Pashooter,
Interesting since I just got a 220 Imp this week. Looking for loads, 220 Rocket data seems promising.Layne Simpson published an
article in Wildcat Cartridges (Wolf Publishing)with a long list of loads (a reprint of a Handloader/Rifle piece,I don't know the
date)
I'm not looking for performance way beyond standard Swift,so
I'll start with those upper loads.
We are in the middle of winter here in North Idaho,so I won't be
doing any testing for a while
Good shooting.
Bill

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Pashooter, Handloader #225, Oct. 2003, Stan Trzoniec article, 18 loads, 6 pages on the "Rocket"-Muddy

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pashooter
Has any one had experience with this cal.what are the pros and cons?

The 220 Swift AI is NOT a caliber. It is a cartridge.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Well excuse the hell out of me. Now do you have anything to say that might be worth reading.

There are no problems that cannot be resolved by the suitable application of high explosive.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I posted this on another thread, sorry thought it was you.

Not much out there. Should gain 5% case capacity, starting towards the top of standard swift loads and work up.

http://reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=395

http://reloadersnest.com/frontpage.asp?CaliberID=391

Swifty
P
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
P
Thanks for the info your right on the lack of any real hard data looks like a project to keep me busy for a while. I am waiting on a barrel from MGM and accumulating components Hope to have everything together and working before spring gets going.I appreciate the help.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Glad I could help, your Achilles heel right now will be brass. Slim to none at the moment, and its only once a year runs before this stuff. Good luck, and if I come across some more data I will let you know.

Swifty
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
What barrel twist ???

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Depend what it is going to be used for. Look at 224 ARs �.. same question, same answers.

The "Rocket" did not flop, it was replaced by the belted 224 Weatherby Magnum which is a nice little cartridge.

Unless you plan to hunt medium game with a 1 in 7/8 twist to shoot 75 gr Swifts or 70 gr TSXs, there is no reason to build any Swift or improved version.

BUT

A 22-244 IMP is superior to any Swift variant, uses common brass (6mm Rem) and is well regarded as a 1000 yard capable cartridge with bullets like the 90 gr Berger VLD. (1 in 7)

If varmints are on the menu a boring old 22-250 will do anything a Swift will.

Most AI cartridges do not hold up to Ackley's claims, nor do other wildcats, a notable exception being the 22 K Hornet. (Same guy who invented the 22-250)

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Always think about a .220swift as a med. game hunter with heavier .224 bullets. Nice blued rifle with 24" tube!!

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by astralabs

The "Rocket" did not flop, it was replaced by the belted 224 Weatherby Magnum which is a nice little cartridge.

Yes the 220 Weatherby Rocket did flop. The Rocket was nothing more than a blown out 220 Swift case or AI'ed. The 224 Weatherby Magnum is basically a longer belted 22.250.

224 Weatherby Mag Case length 1.923, COAL 2.330

22.250 case length 1.912, COAL 2.35

220 Swift case length 2.205, COAL 2.680

220 Rocket is 2.205 case, 2.680 COAL

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Apparently because the manufacturer (Weatherby) chose to switch to a belted case in his 224 (as all other calibers were/are) you have made the leap that the Rocket flopped.

Insofar as I know all Rockets were built when Weatherby was using FN actions for everything except the 378 which was built on a Schultz & Larsen M54.

I rather doubt you have any sales figures on the FN Rockets, but I imagine few were made. Nor can you apparently produce any contemporary expert analysis that faults the cartridge.

The case dimensions have nothing to do with its success of a cartridge. It's all about marketing, hype, buying off gun writers and the general ability of the public to understand interior or exterior ballistics at all.

Want a flop ? The 7mmWSM which is in all ways superior to it 270 and 300 twins. Just a victim of "hate anything metric" bias. Of course the inconvenient fact that any of the WSMs won't do anything "regular magnums" will is ignored by the guys who are 20 pounds overweight, will never hunt Dall Sheep but have to save 10 ounces on rifle weight.

At the risk of repeating myself, most Ackley and Gibbs cartridges will not achieve and meaningful gain over their regular versions when tested with today's equipment rather than the SWAGs they did back in the day.

They had fun and a lot of people built rifles based on false promises with no resale value.

A 22-250, 220 Swift, 224 Weatherby, 220 Rocket or the ancient 22-06 loaded with a modern mono metal bullet and twisted correctly will kill any medium game just as dead as any of the others. Dead is dead and that is all that counts.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by astralabs
Apparently because the manufacturer (Weatherby) chose to switch to a belted case in his 224 (as all other calibers were/are) you have made the leap that the Rocket flopped.

Nope believe Roy Weatherby said that himself. This will come to light in a minute.

Insofar as I know all Rockets were built when Weatherby was using FN actions for everything except the 378 which was built on a Schultz & Larsen M54.

This not entirely true. The 220 rocket was his first wildcat, and at the time he was using mod 70, remmys, FN, and any other customer supplied action. Quote from 40 Years of Weatherby.

"In those first years, immediately after the war, there were no actions available so a Weatherby Magnum rifle was based on whatever suitable actions Roy could scavenge from existing guns or those the customer furnished--Mausers, Springfields, '17 Enfields, Model 54 and 70 Winchesters, and Remington Model 30s. Strictly speaking, there was no definitive Weatherby rifle; the chambering made it so."

"It wasn't until 1949 when Roy made a deal to import the new FN commercial Mauser with his name on it that the Weatherby rifle acquired a uniformity of components. For the first couple of years Roy Bought most of his barrels from Parker Ackley and did the chambering, fitting and stocking in his ever-growing South Gate store/shop. By the time he made the action deal with FN, Roy had his own broach type rifling machine so he now controlled the entire production. "

Same book about the Rocket

" By the time Weatherby fire-formed his first wildcat case in 1942, the .270 Winchester and the .220 Swift were already punctuating in spades whatever statements were being made on behalf of high velocity. So Roy sure didn't have any monopoly on the concept of sending out a relatively small bullet at high speed; he was just a guy who picked up the idea and was to run further with it than anyone else. A lot further!

Roy's early experiments were with the .220 Swift. Already the high velocity champ in its factory form, Roy wanted to see if the Swift could be improved upon by . . . well, "improving" it, i.e., fire-forming a case in a new chamber having less body taper, a shorter neck and a sharper shoulder and by so doing increasing its powder capacity. The result of Roy's first wildcatting experiment was the .220 Weatherby Rocket, an improved .220 Swift that ". . . really didn't perform any better than the original" says Roy candidly. Apparently the practical limit on case capacity had already been reached. "

I rather doubt you have any sales figures on the FN Rockets, but I imagine few were made. Nor can you apparently produce any contemporary expert analysis that faults the cartridge.

You are probably right on the few part as Weatherby had already given up on the 220 Rocket by then, so if he did build them they were custom ordered.

The case dimensions have nothing to do with its success of a cartridge. It's all about marketing, hype, buying off gun writers and the general ability of the public to understand interior or exterior ballistics at all.

Again this is somewhat correct, but what also didn't help as in the case of the 224 Weatherby Magnum, the rifle was almost twice the cost of a Winchester 70 in 225 Winchester which replaced the Swift in 1963, and more than twice the cost of a Remington in 22.250.
Another thing that didn't help is the fact that Norma was the only supplier of brass and loaded ammunition which almost doubled the cost of that also. Plus the fact that it didn't offer anything more than the 22.250 or 225 ballistics wise.
As an aside the 225, and the 224 Weatherby lost out to the 22.250 and are considered obsolete. The 220 Swift isn't obsolete yet, but its got a lot of nails in its coffin as only 2 makers now chamber it in a factory rifle. You can still get brass for the 224 Mag at times, Norma only @ 2.10 apiece, or loaded ammunition again Norma @ 64.00 a 20. Not economical to shoot nowadays, where the Swift isn't quite that bad.

Want a flop ? The 7mmWSM which is in all ways superior to it 270 and 300 twins. Just a victim of "hate anything metric" bias. Of course the inconvenient fact that any of the WSMs won't do anything "regular magnums" will is ignored by the guys who are 20 pounds overweight, will never hunt Dall Sheep but have to save 10 ounces on rifle weight.

This maybe true, but I don't shoot em so I don't know. Never had the need for a magnum, and never thought about Dall sheep either.

At the risk of repeating myself, most Ackley and Gibbs cartridges will not achieve and meaningful gain over their regular versions when tested with today's equipment rather than the SWAGs they did back in the day.

They had fun and a lot of people built rifles based on false promises with no resale value.

A 22-250, 220 Swift, 224 Weatherby, 220 Rocket or the ancient 22-06 loaded with a modern mono metal bullet and twisted correctly will kill any medium game just as dead as any of the others. Dead is dead and that is all that counts.

These are probably the only totally true statements you have made. Next time try engaging in a constructive discussion instead of being a testy jerk.

Last edited by Swifty52; 01/24/14.

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amazing the knowledge one can attribute to ONE book written long after Roy was dead. If you had a complete library of books and magazines covering the period, you might have some credibility.

The Rocket was hardly the only Weatherby cartridge that was/is overbore. That along with freebore was how he sometimes achieved his claimed velocities.

I am reasonably sure that with today's 100 gr .224 VLD bullets, the right nitrided 3 groove barrel, with the proper twist in at least a 30" barrel and the super slow powders he did not have, that a Rocket could be built today that would be very effective out to 1000 yards.

Calling another member childish names is hardly the way to encourage a "constructive discussion", but this site has more than the usual share of tough guys hiding behind a screen name.

When you learn the facts about WSMs, can explain why Roy chose a belted .224 over the 22-250 and can come up with a dozen or so early Weatherby built rifles (correct roll stamps etc) that were built as production rifles (not customs on customer supplied actions) on actions other than the FN or S&L 54, perhaps we can resume a "constructive discussion", absent name calling.

A 378 on the S&L 54 hurt a lot. I fired mine 5 times and then sold it very profitably to a drooling Weatherby collector.
G-day

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Funny,
Mr. Weatherby died in 1988, the book and the interview contained was written in 1985. Which is hardly LONG after his death.

Also you might look into P.O Ackley's books. He flat out states that improving the Swift has only one advantage. Brass trimming. Otherwise the extra powder provides no meaningful gain. He gave up on it too.

can explain why Roy chose a belted .224 over the 22-250

He chose a belted case to eliminate head spacing (i.e shoulder head spacing for those that are a little slow) problems due to brass creep into the neck and shoulder area common to high velocity rounds like the Swift and 22.250, it also was supposed to eliminate case stretching meaning no trimming. OOOPS

He also eliminated freebore, and went to incorporating a longer leade to decrease pressure as a lot of gunsmiths at the time weren't chambering rifles right, and people were blowing up their rifles.

WSM"s are chit. Shot a bunch and don't care for em, but whatever floats your boat.
I don't know any serious 1000 yard BR shooter who uses a 22. All the serious guys here run 6.5 or 30's for that.

Also glad that you could handle a grand total of 5 rounds before wussin out, as I found my upper limit for recoil was 10 shots from a Barrett 50 cal. 338 Lapua Mag also hurts a little too. OOOPs

Swifty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can hardly imagine where you came up with the idea that 22-250s had/have headspace problems. Probably from the same source that believes the 35/400 Whelen and 9.3x62 have headspace issues. Assume you own none of the above (I happen to own all) and have never had to FL size any of them IF they are initially fireformed with the false shoulder method. The same is true of any belted cartridge from the .224 on up.

I never suggested any BR shooter was using a .224 cartridge @1000 yards. The 300 WSM which you hate, is a frequent winner. But then again has anyone tried ? The 222 Remington owned benchrest until someone tried something else.

As for wussing out, as my 338 RUM weighs 20 pounds it is not painful to shoot.
I have no idea what a Barrett 50 cal 338 Lapua is. Some new wildcat you invented that no one has ever heard of ? If you mean a Barrett in 338, it will never shoot as well as my RUM as it is a combat rifle not a purpose built 1000 yards and beyond target rifle. Even Barrett only claims 1 MOA.

The Barrett (less the brake) has a 24" barrel max, mine is 36". Mine is also Nitrided and 3 groove (way less friction). Hodgdon says 2600 fps with a 300 gr SMK in the Lapua. I am shooting a few very expensive 245 gr Lehigh bullets that have the highest BC of any 338 bullet. They go through the chronograph @3000 fps. Guess which rifle and load will go subsonic first ?

In any case, unless an "improved" cartridge increase the amount of powder in the case over its parent by a huge amount the velocity change is ho-hum. Even the 300 Weatherby barely sneaks by the 300 H&H.
Bullet choice, powders, barrel length and rifling design are far more significant.
That's why my bone stock Browning 25-06 with a 30" barrel (long) will push the new 80 gr TTSX (new low friction design) pushed by SuperPerformance (a breakthrough design in some cartridges) at 4000 fps with no issues and shoot sub MOA.

To the OP, save your money and buy a Savage varmint model in 22-250. It will drive tacks, is cheap and when you shoot it out you can install a new barrel yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
BYE BYE Larry Root, pull your head back from uranus

Swifty
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 59 invisible), 2,534 guests, and 1,507 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,192
Posts18,484,986
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.