-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I know it ain't about guns, but you boys better watch this one.

Group proposes ballot measure requiring pre-marriage education

Jan. 20, 2014 at 5:12 PM
DENVER, Jan. 20 (UPI) -- A proposed ballot initiative in Colorado would require couples to take a mandatory pre-marriage education classes, officials said.
The Colorado Marriage Education Act would require first time brides- and grooms-to-be to receive 10 hours of pre-wedding marriage education, the Denver Post reported Monday.

If either party is marrying for the second time, the requirement is increased to up to a minimum of 20 hours, and 30 hours for a people on their third marriages.

The purpose of the act is to "better prepare individuals going into marriage to fulfill their new roles as spouse and potentially as parent, to furthermore protect children given that marriage is the foundation of a family unit," said David Schel and Sharon Tekolian of California-based Kids Against Divorce, the group that proposed the ballot measure.

Kids Against Divorce plans to introduce similar measures in other states across the country, but chose propose it first in Colorado, the newspaper said.

Advocates for the initiative need to gather 86,105 valid signatures by the Aug. 4 for the measure to be included on the November ballot.

Meanwhile, some Colorado residents have voiced outrage over the proposed measure.

"This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard," said Alyx Reese-Giles, who was married for the third time in November. "The government has no business deciding what education people should or should not get before entering into marriage. Marriage is about communication and being ready to commit, and no class is going to teach you that."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
This place was Californicated in the 80s

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
D
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
D
I understand Ny being the way it is but how the hell did Colorado get to be this way?

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It'll never make the ballot.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by ltppowell
The Colorado Marriage Education Act would require first time brides- and grooms-to-be to receive 10 hours of pre-wedding marriage education, the Denver Post reported Monday.

Would make more sense for second, third, fourth, etc. marriages to require this than first timers.

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am as pro-marriage as anyone, but does anyone with a brain larger than a pea think that marriage education classes are somehow going to remedy the moral and intellectual deficiencies of a populace that give rise to the social ills with which we are now plaqued? More to the point: anyone who thinks a marriage education class is going to embue husband and wives with the knowledge and character necessary to make marriages work is a complete idiot.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RobJordan
I am as pro-marriage as anyone, but does anyone with a brain larger than a pea think that marriage education classes are somehow going to remedy the moral and intellectual deficiencies of a populace that give rise to the social ills with which we are now plaqued? More to the point: anyone who thinks a marriage education class is going to embue husband and wives with the knowledge and character necessary to make marriages work is a complete idiot.

Rob your correct. The founders of this idea seem to be from "your" state. They really should start out in your country.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why the state is involved in any marriage is beyond me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell

In case of gay marriage how do they decide who is the bride and who is the groom
The damn democrats never seem to work out the details.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 47 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.