Page 1,285 of 1,842 1 2 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1841 1842
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Can?? Can??
We doan need no steekin cans.
We got FREEZERS.
(With apologies to the original "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" movie)

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill_55
. I don't know what the canning process does to meat but it is darn good

pressurizing allows the temp to go higher ,for one thing .15 psi pressure means about 260`.higher temps cook faster,and also tenderizes.
I read somewhere online recently where KFC uses a pressure frier to cook their chicken,and can cook a chicken done in 9 minutes.
Don't know if that's true or not,but mine cooks tough beef to falling apart tender in a half hour,something that can take hours otherwise.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
I've got some venison to can, hopefully gonna do that one of these days. having a friend come down to show me how so I don't screw it up and blow a hole in the roof smile

Video it in case you do so we call all see what's going on. grin

I'll see if I can webcam it, my video camera broke. apparently on a late season muzzleloader hunt when it is really cold, you can break them things carrying them in your pocket. who knew!

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by fluffy
I read somewhere online recently where KFC uses a pressure frier to cook their chicken,and can cook a chicken done in 9 minutes.
Don't know if that's true or not,but mine cooks tough beef to falling apart tender in a half hour,something that can take hours otherwise.

Well they do sorta. Like the chicken you'd buy from the hot case in your deli at Cub Foods or Super Value. It's deep fried/pressueized. Except they do it at about 325-350 in hot oil. I worked in the Cub Food deli for quite a while. smile

Camp is where you make it.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
News Flash!

The WI DNR has approved the elimination of in-person deer registration by 2015. Hunters will now be able to register deer kills via phone or the internet.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
sounds easier! self registration is a huge step in making things a lot easier for you guys. congrats. do they still have those backtags they make you wear? next will be getting rid of those!

end of the year here we fill out a survey. when/where deer was shot. species/sex etc. then we can leave comments and suggestions.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That's how we do it here now Bill. I think it saves the state money as well. Or it does after they set up the system. At times it was fun to haul all the deer in to register and others it was a pain in the butt.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ryan,

I don't think WI will ever get rid of the back tages. Maybe Gov. Walker will though. I know the DNR is STRONLY against it. Really, it's pretty useless imo.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I agree. Never really understood the back tag thing but I believe it helped identify the Hmong that ran amuck with an SKS shooting all those hunters a few years ago.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Rooster, my dad recently had a conversation with the guy who was hunting next door to that shooting at the time (some of his group testified at the trial). WOW, what an interesting conversation. The story that was NOT in the media really paints the picture of what happened out there and why.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Berettaman
Rooster, my dad recently had a conversation with the guy who was hunting next door to that shooting at the time (some of his group testified at the trial). WOW, what an interesting conversation. The story that was NOT in the media really paints the picture of what happened out there and why.

Yeah I got the feeling that it wasn't all one sided...

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
sounds easier! self registration is a huge step in making things a lot easier for you guys. congrats. do they still have those backtags they make you wear? next will be getting rid of those!

end of the year here we fill out a survey. when/where deer was shot. species/sex etc. then we can leave comments and suggestions.

Still have the back tags (For now) although the DNR would vote to keep them. As BM and Rooster stated they did help ID the shooter in that incident awhile back.

DNR is saying that eliminating in person registration will save about $185K per year. They still have concerns though about getting samples for CWD.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Our clan wasn't too far from that either really. It was a troublesome day in the WI deer woods for sure. It was covered a lot more in WI than it was here. That dude was on a mission, no question about it.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

DNR is saying that eliminating in person registration will save about $185K per year. They still have concerns though about getting samples for CWD.

I think there will be enough if they need to take samples. They could still require the areas with CWD to register them at a station.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If anyone wants to hear the story on that day from people hunting next to it, let me know. I dunno if I should post it here or not. I suppose I could private message it or something. Suffice it to say, the story starts a year before and it does not start with Chai Vang.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would like to know

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Grizzly_Bill

I think there will be enough if they need to take samples. They could still require the areas with CWD to register them at a station.

here they have drop boxes where hunters can voluntarily drop the heads off to be tested. I wish there was one closer to me than rapid city though

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
If anyone wants to hear the story on that day from people hunting next to it, let me know. I dunno if I should post it here or not. I suppose I could private message it or something. Suffice it to say, the story starts a year before and it does not start with Chai Vang.

I'll take a listen. Or a read.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I'll take a listen. Or a read.

Id be interested also.

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Hey Goalie! How about that Kuemper! Beatin those world champs!

Page 1,285 of 1,842 1 2 1283 1284 1285 1286 1287 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

158 members (35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 338reddog, 308xray, 16penny, 29 invisible), 1,997 guests, and 1,020 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,270
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.