Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Wonder how many folks are going to start looking for Meeker's gold?

the shopkeeper should have gone with him and they might have both lived a better life,longer maybe.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Shopkeeper, hands down.

My pick, too.

Still can't figure out why he didn't shack up with her for the winter and head out in the spring. A lot of things with the movie didn't make sense to me, but I reckon that has a lot to do with the mindset of the people at that particular time/place.

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, if that duplicated the lives of the main characters... didn't really end up real well for anybody...

sort of depressing to say the least...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Joe Meeker was the only sane one of the bunch, he didn't deserve to go out like that. And the Count, I couldn't imagine a more fitting death for him, too bad the Mounties brought him back, should have let the wolves eat his sorry azz.

I enjoyed it but doubt I would watch it again.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
I found it enjoyable, but I could not focus on it because of paper work for my boat.

They did not do justice to the epic drama that was the Chilcoot Pass.

The two men would have been required by the RCMP, armed with a Nordin gun at the top of the pass, to have a ton of supplies each, the two guys on this show have nothing in their boat.

To the historic eye it is lacking.

I think that's an accurate assessment. Fun show so far. Just watched part 1 last night, and looking forward to watching part 2.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gmsemel
Gee's they just might stream it. I will have to check it out! The Alaskan Gold Rush is a very very interesting bit of history. Steward's Folly, really became a wise expenditure of money, considering the Mineral, Lumber and Fish and Game resources. Never mind its a great place to live. I have to get back.

Hmm . . . Klondike is set in/around Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada.

"Steward's Folly", or more correctly, SEWARD'S Folly, involved the purchase of Alaska from the Russian. Alaska's Gold Rush centered areound Nome, Alaska, a mere 775 (give or take) from Dawson City, Yukon.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Yeah, at the end Dawson City was dead and Nome was where people were headed.

It could have been a great story, but it was too scattered, shot poorly, too much dread and not enough joy.

In short, a total buzz kill and a joyless 6 long hours.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Did anyone not know that guy was going through the ice?

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
What's with Soapy Smith ?
I thought he was strictly Skagway, not operating in Dawson.

.....civilize 'em with a Krag
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm 1/2 way thru part two ...good so far .....1st part seemed "2 fast"...oh well.....

Last edited by atvalaska; 01/29/14.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
frown part 3 ...was not as much fun as the last 2 ....Belinda hands down ...but the horr what great pc of a.. great line > 1897-Belinda Mulrooney: ....."Nothing in Dawson could I buy for a quarter. So I threw my last coin into the Yukon" maybe not> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Belinda_Mulrooney_c1898.jpg

Last edited by atvalaska; 01/30/14.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Starting over, she moved to Fairbanks, Alaska in 1904[1] or 1905[3] and prospered once again. She established the Dome City Bank in Fairbanks[4] with her younger sister Margaret.[3]

Mulrooney eventually retired to Yakima, Washington, where she had a large mansion built. She supported her family until her money ran out. She then moved to Seattle, where she died in 1967.
good link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Forks_Hotel

Last edited by atvalaska; 01/30/14.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

A life well lived.

kd

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ikesdad
What's with Soapy Smith ?
I thought he was strictly Skagway, not operating in Dawson.

ikesdad;
As far as I've been able to read Soapy Smith did not operate in Dawson or in the Yukon at all for that matter.

I've read quite a few books on the subject including Sir Sam Steele's Forty Years in Canadawhere he talks about being in Skagway and being very aware of Soapy Smith - page 296 in my edition.

Someone mentioned the armament of the NWMP there and indeed their records show that eventually 3 machine guns were shipped up to them. The records of what they actually is a wee bit confusing in that they are called Maxim, Maxim-Nordenfelt and Nordenfelt in different reports. confused

They were all purchased from Maxim in England if that clears anything up.

In spite of the flood of people coming into the Yukon there was remarkably little crime - mostly because the NWMP continued with their tradition of enforcing the rules as they saw fit - which included making some up as they went along.

Again if one reads Sir Sam's book one sees that was standard operational procedure for the NWMP. We'll let history be the judge of both their motives and results I suppose - it's certainly a bigger task than I'm able to chew off tonight.

Hopefully that was of some interest to you or someone out there tonight sir.

All the best to you this weekend.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

671 members (1minute, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 16penny, 1lessdog, 59 invisible), 2,553 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,844
Posts18,496,917
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.